Cellular and Internet use on board Sojourn

KILLERFEET

We would appreciate any current information on cellular use at sea. Cost of packages?

One of us has AT&T, the other Verizon.

Check with your carrier as the ships use MTN (Maritime Telecommunications Network), thus they have set cruise ship rates - I believe Verizon is $1.99 per minute.

AT&T now has free international calling over wifi. While I'm not certain that it is *supposed* to work on the ship, it did on Quest on the transatlantic.

I was on the unlimited wifi package and neglected to log off my phone a few times and was quite startled to see my phone ringing... but it worked just fine.

Edited by jenidallas

Also, if you do decide to use the MTN instead, turn your data off before turning your phone on... otherwise you could see some pretty nasty data charges appear. I once forgot to switch my phone back into airplane mode after a day in port and didn't catch it until the next morning. I had a $65 data charge from all my apps and email refreshing themselves all night.

• 2 weeks later...

jennidallas, turn off the automatic refresh setting for your apps. AT&T gives you the phone with the setting turned on and it uses up so much data. I didn't know about this until I landed in Paris and within minutes I got a text from AT&T telling me my international data plan was used up. I called them and said "what the heck" and then they sheepishly told me about the refresh apps setting. Turn on only the ones you absolutely need!!