Live fron the Viking Sea, Venice -Barcelona 10/4-10/16

rjscott

Sorry to be a few days late getting started. It has been a whirlwind and we have taken advantage of any downtime resting and enjoying the ship. So, on with the review thus far.

We arranged our own flights, as we were spending a couple of days postcruise on our own. We got into Venice on the 4th a little after 10:30 am and purchased transfers with Viking to the ship. Yes, we could have done it for less on our own, but it was easier and more expedient this way, and for once, we went this route. Normally, I would never do that, but a prolonged family illness had taken much of my energy and so my trip planning suffered.

When we arrived at the ship, our cabin was not quite ready and so we were advised to leave our carryon 's with a bag check area and go have lunch in the World Cafe. Lunch was very good and I was pleased to see a friend we had made on the Viking Star. John, the former Maitre d' of the Chef's Table on the Star, is now the Maitre d' of operations on the Sea. He is such a nice man. After lunch, we decided to take advantage of the free shuttle into Venice and explore a bit. The shuttles run every hour into town and every hour on the half hour back. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed just exploring some of the side streets we'd not taken before. We took the shuttle back to have dinner in the Restaurant, at a shared table. Dinner was excellent. I had lamb chops which were cooked to perfection. Service was outstanding.

We didn't see any shows that night as we hadn't slept on the plane over at all. So, we made it an early night in order to enjoy the next day in Venice.

Becki

Becki --

Thanks for "going live." As our departure gets closer, I have more and more questions to ask.

First on my list is about the shuttle buses --Livorno to Florence and Civitavecchia to Rome. Since they don't publish any information about these shuttles prior to departure (unless the details are in the cruise docs), I would love to find out as much as possible -- how often they run, how long the drive is, where they drop you, when the first and last shuttles are, what the cost is, etc. We don't want to take a packaged tour in either of these cities and don't want to waste time getting to and from train stations (or risking one of those infamous Italian train strikes). Whatever you learn would be appreciated. TIA.

Wishing you a relaxing rest of your journey!

Peregrina,

Will see what I can find out for you and report back. :) I understand your need for reliable info. If I get my hands on any printed info, I will upload that, so that you're not just getting second-hand info. ;) They have had printed maps of each port area and printed shuttle schedules as well so far.

Becki

Venice, Day 2,

We have signed up for the included Venice walking tour, even tho' we have been in Venice before. We thought we might get some good background info. However, in our group is a woman and her husband who seem to need some assistance. The free shuttle from the ship to Venice does not go to St. Mark's Square, but rather to a location that requires crossing 4 bridges to get to St. Mark's. The woman is in a wheelchair, having twisted her knee badly a few days earlier in a fall in which she also broke her wrist. She also has a cane to help her walk short distances. So, when we come to the first bridge, the husband is ready to go back, but she says she can walk and he says he will help her. My husband says he will carry her wheelchair and I get on the other side of her to support her. She does make it over all 4 bridges, but needless to say, we don't partake in the tour. However, she so enjoyed seeing the view from the bridges, and especially the Bridge of Sighs, and the gondolas passing underneath, it was equally enjoyable for us. They went on to do some sightseeing on their own and took the AliLaguna back so as not to have to traverse the bridges again.

We decided to go see the Friari Church, which was quite a bit of a walk and it involved taking a traghetto across the grand canal and then another bit of a hike, but it was a beautiful church. Not so imposing from the outside, but inside there were impressive statuary, paintings by Titian and others and a section of elaborately carved choir seating like I have never seen. It was a gem!

We got back to the shuttle landing for the last shuttle at 1:30pm. All aboard was 2:30 as the ship was leaving at 3pm.

Tomorrow is Split, Croatia.

Becki

Day 3, Split, Croatia

We have signed up for the included walking tour here. The daily says 67 degrees and cloudy, but we pack our travel umbrellas in our string backpack anyway. Are we ever glad we did! We no more start our walking tour than it starts to rain. A little rain at first and then it is raining hard and it is cold. Ugh! My husband says we can just forget it and go back to the ship but I don't want to do that. Our guide is good and periodically, we go inside a building to hear about an aspect of the area, and that is just enough to take the edge off. It is an interesting city and very historical, and it has lots of nice shops and restaurants.

When we finish our tour, we decide to stay in town and get something to eat. We choose a restaurant and are very pleased with the selection. The food is very good and the prices very reasonable. We do a bit of shopping after, as the rain has stopped and it is warming up. Wouldn't you know, as we head back to the ship, the sun comes out?!

This evening we decide to swing by the reservation desk at Manfredi's and see if they have availability at the last-minute. They do, and are able to seat us right away. We had a very nice meal. My husband had a huge steak and I had fish. So, for those worried about getting into the specialty restaurants, I would say, relax; you will be accommodated.

Tomorrow, Dubrovnik.

Becki

Day 4, Dubrovnik, Croatia

Today we have no tour planned as we visited Dubrovnik last year when we were on the Viking Star. So, we thought we might do the cable car on our own or just see some parts of town we hadn't seen last time.

But, just when we are at breakfast and thinking of heading back to the cabin and gathering up our stuff, it starts to pour rain. Aargh! So, we sit and visit with some other passengers until it looks like the rain is letting up and we decide to head for town.

By the time we catch the shuttle bus and get into town, the rain has stopped and it is pleasant. We see the cable car is running, so we walk in that direction, climbing many stairs to get to the ticket booth. As we arrive at the ticket booth we find they have just put up a sign that the cable car is closed due to weather. Huh? We ask, as the rain has stopped. They just shrug. Well, on our walk back down, we find out why. Now we have wind. And the rain starts up again. Still, it isn't as bad as Spilt was, so we press on. We do a bit of shopping and with our final Kuna hubby buys a yummy ice cream cone and donates his last few coins to some aspiring singers at the Pile Gate.

We wait with others in the rain for the shuttle bus back to the ship.

Dinner in the Restaurant tonight and then to the Star Theater to see Paul Fredericks, a very talented singer.

Becki

Peregrina,

Will see what I can find out for you and report back. :) I understand your need for reliable info. If I get my hands on any printed info, I will upload that, so that you're not just getting second-hand info. ;) They have had printed maps of each port area and printed shuttle schedules as well so far.

Becki

Becki, thank you!

Save

Day 5, Corfu.

It is a very pretty day today. We have chosen the included walking tour of Corfu. We have a short bus ride to the city center and we have a very good guide. She gives us a lot of history of the area and tips on shopping and dining as well. We are in port until 10 pm, so we can stay in Corfu town well after our tour as there is a free shuttle bus to and from the port.

We do stay in town for a bit with another couple with whom we have 'clicked' and visit a church and get an ice cream at a place recommended by our guide. We then walk back in time to catch a ride with one of the tour buses to the port. This port requires a walk thru their terminal ( perhaps to require a browse thru their duty-free shops?) but then you can either take the shuttle bus to the ship when you exit, or walk for about 5-10 min.

We had a large shared table at dinner tonight and it was a lively group. Then, at 9:15, there was a Greek folkloric group who did a musical presentation by the pool deck. It was fantastic. At one point, they invited guests to come up and dance alongside them, so I went up. Now, a few years ago, this is not something I would ever have done. I was too introverted. But, as I have gotten older, I have figured, what the heck, I am going to have experiences and I continually surprise my husband. :D

Becki

Becki, Thanks for taking the time to post. We will be on the "Sea" in January sailing Barcelona to Rome so I'm enjoying your live review very much. It's nice to hear about the ship, restaurants, etc a head of time.

You are most welcome!

The ship is beautiful, and the food has been delicious in every venue. I don't know if I mentioned Mamsen's yet, but they have wonderful desserts. A good place to have a late afternoon treat and relax in a comfy chair.

The service also has been outstanding. Everyone, from room stewards to restaurant servers to shore excursion reps have been very eager to please and unfailingly friendly.

Becki

Day 6 , Sea Day

There were a lot of Enrichment Lectures today. My husband took the opportunity to swim in the pool. We started at the infinity pool, as it was a lovely day, but everyone had the same idea, so we went in to the indoor pool. They had the roof slid back, so it was very nice there as well. A lot of people enjoying that area too on the loungers.

The Explorer Society gathering for past passengers was this evening in the Atrium. They passed both champagne and non-alcoholic drinks and a nice selection of appetizers. Two of the dancers put on a show and the captain gave a brief speech. It was very nice.

This evening the singer/ comedian Paul Fredericks entertained again. He was so good.

Becki

Day 7, Naples

We chose the Pompeii and Sorrento tour. Our guide was Roberto, who was a hoot. Roberto told us that day was his birthday and he was 81. If that was true, he certainly didn't look it or act it.

We went first to Sorrento. The drive there was beautiful. In town we went to a woodworking shop where they made really lovely, unique pieces. We also had some free time for shopping and for lunch. We chose a recommended pizza place that was very good and fairly inexpensive. Then it was on to Pompeii.

The ruins at Pompeii were incredible. Such a remarkable site. Roberto gave us a marvelous tour; very detailed and in-depth.

This was a very worthwhile tour.

Becki

We booked a cruise on Viking Sea today so are finding your review very useful.

Have you tried afternoon tea yet?

We have not, but it is very popular. We prefer to get a pastry at Mamsen's (just past the Wintergreen on your way to the Explorer's Lounge) and then get tea served to us there in the lounge area directly across from Mamsen's and enjoy the lovely water views.

Becki

Day 8, Rome

We dock in Citavechhia, which is a good hour and a half to two hour bus ride to Rome. Ah, well. We choose to do the Highlight of Rome and the Colosseum, as it is the only tour which goes inside the Colosseum and my husband very much wants to see that monument. So many people tell us we have to see the Sistine Chapel, so we are torn, but in the end, we are happy with this tour.

Our guide, Marina, is fun and knowlegeable. We have a "comfort" stop on the way to Rome, which is nice, as there are no facilities at the Colosseum. The weather looks threatening on the drive there, so we are ready with our travel umbrellas, but we only get a few sprinkles while waiting to go into the monument. The Colosseum is very imposing and much larger than I expected, even from my reading and pictures. It does not disappoint at all. We go to several vantage points in the structure and Marina describes the use of the facility, the attendees, the seating system and so much more. It was really fascinating . But, before we knew it, it was time to move on.

Becki

We have not, but it is very popular. We prefer to get a pastry at Mamsen's (just past the Wintergreen on your way to the Explorer's Lounge) and then get tea served to us there in the lounge area directly across from Mamsen's and enjoy the lovely water views.

Becki

Thank you Becki, that sounds a great option too.

As a Brit I must have a cup of tea at 4 PM but rarely have the full deal on a cruise. Think I may succomb on Viking Sea.

Hope you have a lovely day in Rome. Was there two weeks ago. There is so much to see and enjoy

We love Afternoon Tea in the Wintergarden. Lovely little sandwiches, pastries, a long menu of teas, and scones with clotted cream and jam. Very hard to resist :)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Sounds completely wonderful. Seems my post Christmas diet will not be happening.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise

Sounds completely wonderful. Seems my post Christmas diet will not be happening.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise

Neither will mine Haze! :)

Anyone, does Viking routinely hold a Cruise Critic meeting like Azamara does? Where do we register for it if needed?

Thanks Becki for your review...we are anxious to know all details about Viking Sea, having never cruised Viking before. Do you have any menu's or drinks package details you can post please?