DIY Ports - Italy

jems76

We are a family of 4 and are travelling to Civitavecchia & Livorno soon. We would like to visit Rome and Pisa and was wondering if anybody had previously completed this as DIY? Or pre-arranged transfers with a reasonably priced company?

I appreciate any help on this. Thank you

Check out the Italy Ports forum. These are probably the two most popular ports in Italy, so lots of people have advice to share over there. The problem is that the ship docks very far from the sites most passengers want to visit (Rome, Florence, etc.) so you need to figure out ahead of time how you want to handle that. But there are many options in both ports for independent excursions.

Many people do these by themselves, either completely DIY or with private tour companies.

We have done Rome a few times by train. You get the port shuttle and then walk along the front to the train station, where you buy the train ticket from the news stand. I can't remember the cost, but it is very reasonable and also includes metro travel in Rome.

The journey into Rome takes around an hour (just over I think). There are a number of options as to where you get off, dependant on where you want to be. Obviously, make sure you know the timetables so that you get back in time.

The cheap tickets are only valid on the local trains which are quite slow. Last time we went we prebooked our tickets. It was more expensive, but still fairly reasonable and this meant we could co on the faster trains and also had a seat (the local trains can be very busy and get hot). We paid a few euros more for the return for first class, so had a reserved seat. I'd do it again that way next time.

It is a long day, and you can't get round as much stuff as you would if you had a guide with a car, but it is the fraction of the price of a tour. If you did want to do a private tour then I'd ask on your roll call if anyone has any spaces.

As for Pisa, it is a lot closer to Livorno than Rome is to Civitavecchia, so the train journey is a lot shorter (and more comfortable), but the train station is further from the port. The best way of getting there is to take the NCL shuttle to the train station (for $15 return from memory). Otherwise you have to mess about with local buses. The train station in Pisa is just over a mile away from the tower, but I thought it was quite a nice walk (Pisa isn't exciting, but it's quite nice).

Another option for Pisa is the bus provided by citysightseeing (citysightseeing.com I think) which goes from Livorno town square to near the tower. Price works out similar and you only get a couple of hours there, but you probably don't need any longer.

If you want to go into anywhere in Rome, or up the tower in Pisa then make sure you prebook, as this will save a lot of time. Remember that Colosseum tickets also include the Forum. We did the Colosseum underground tour last time, which was very reasonably priced and interesting. It gets you into places you can't go otherwise.

Edited by KeithJenner

We are a family of 4 and are travelling to Civitavecchia & Livorno soon. We would like to visit Rome and Pisa and was wondering if anybody had previously completed this as DIY? Or pre-arranged transfers with a reasonably priced company?

Just used Italy tours last week for Florence, Pisa.

Very happy with the choice.

-for Rome

second searching the boards...somebody put up a full desciption with photos of how to use the trains to Rome..remember to validate your train ticket..yellow boxes on pillars in the station..just insert your ticket and it time stamps it....if you don't its like you tried to ride free as the ticket is still usable on another day

in Rome watch out for pickpockets...tend to work tourist zones..there is a circle bus that hits all the major spots (think its #62 ) . just be aware

with a day in Rome you will not have time to go inside much..you could spend your whole day at the Vatican or the Coliseum ..with a day you can do an overview and pick 1 or 2 things. I spend 5 weeks there as a student in University and did not see everything. so plan what you want to see. hop on hop off bus works well for an overview.

we did Pisa and Florence on our own. took the train to Florence. again if you want to see the Ufizi and David it will take your entire day. if doing that likely best to pre buy tickets. we were mostly into taking pictures of Florence so simply walked around. but again I had been there before.

in Pisa the Tower is further from the train station than we thought. had to run to catch the train back to the ship.

in planning train travel I would also aim for the second to last train so you have a plan b.

Italy tends to have strikes (less so now I think) so you may want a plan C

hope you have fun

Better yet, download the Rick Steves app on iOS or Android. He offers great (and FREE) audio walking tours, complete with (hand-drawn) maps, of many tourist gems (including the Vatican, Coliseum, Forum). Totally worth it :D

Definitely, definitely, definitely pre-order tickets. All touristy locations in Italy are crowded, so purchasing ahead of time will save you time (and if you only have a day in Rome, you will need every second you can get).

If you take the train into Rome, there is a storefront/booth run by a local travel agent just before you reach the train station. They will charge you more for the train ticket, but at least you will have it before you get to the station. Otherwise, there are automated ticket kiosks and a ticket window where you can purchase tickets. The ticket kiosk gives you the option to choose English as the display language. Also, if you use a credit card to pay, you will need to input your PIN #, so make sure you set it ahead of time (I want to say that it needs to be 4 digits, but I cannot remember off the top of my head).

The train back to Civi will most like leave from the same set of tracks that you get off in Rome, so take note of the location (when we were there last year, they were on the right side of the station, pretty far down the tracks (towards the front of the station if you're looking in the direction the trains head out). There may be people with train "credentials" who will offer to guide you to the track and help you validate your ticket. Do NOT engage with them, they are Gypsies who will ask you for money after they help you (like an idiot, I even gave the woman who offered assistance my ticket, luckily, she didn't run off with it).

Download Rick Steves Mediterranean ports guide book - you'll find everything you need for self guided travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by atomax

Review of the excursions we took to Rome and Florence (options of including Pisa are available).

Hope this helps (and the link works!)

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51311496&postcount=7

that info on the tracks was good advice

trains to Civi are on the far right side of the terminal...kind of cannot even see them from the main part of the station

and 2 gypsy girls tried to help me with out luggage

I am 6 foot 4 and 230...I was bigger than them both put together...but one of them grabbed a bag and demanded money...Italy has to do something about this or it will kill tourism

Yes, the very first time I cruised I did Rome on my own via train but we could walk to the station. Now the ships seem to dock a lot further. Last Trip (June) I did take a inexpensive bus right from the port to Rome though via smarttourcruiser It was good except when you only have a few hours in Rome, it really wasted a lot of time. I honestly would not do this again. The Ship docked at 7 am and the bus didn't leave until almost 10. I could of been on my second site in Rome by them, lol.. I prefer the tours. I use Joe Banana Limos aka italytourshariing- they are excellent. Go to your roll call and sign up as there are a ton of cruisers looking to save money and PRECIOUS time to see as much as you can. The RollCalls usually get 8 people together. You can start tours and then post on your roll call. I started 3 tours through italytoursharing.com and saved some money as well.