first cruise questions

fire5555

I like to board as early as I can - I paid for that day so I am going to get on the boat and EAT. DH doesn't like to carry our carryons around, so he would rather get on around 1/1:30 when rooms should be ready. Ok, I will eat a late breakfast at home and late lunch on boat!

Bring - sunscreen. hat. post it notes/paper/pen. magnet. tape. You never know when you will need some of these little things (I need to go round up my "little things" for our cruise!). cash if you want to give extra tips to room service, room steward, etc. I also take a power strip (shhh...we aren't really supposed to. just make sure you pack it in a bag that gets checked at the port - I didn't in April and port security took it out of my carry on). band aids. safety pins. yes, it looks like a lot, but would honestly fit in a cosmetic bag to be your "just in case" bag!

HAVE FUN!!!!! Explore every inch of the boat, walk the stairs up and down every where to see the art work, eat early or late to avoid crowds, don't always eat Windjammer.

I have issues with heat and humidity (not good ones to have when in Galveston)--I can't breathe, get very, very pale, and sort of collapse. I went to muster, and sure enough, after a bit, the muster captain saw me and took me inside. He directed me to a seat in the air-conditioned bar area, where a number of other "not too hardy-looking" souls were gathered. A crew person appeared and did the safety drill for those of us in the bar.

Next time I'm on the Liberty in August, I'll go to the bar first and explain my problem rather than going out to be discovered by someone and then taken inside.

The issue with power strips is real.

Basically OK as long as they DO NOT have "Surge Suppressor" or "Surge Protection" as a feature. These do NOT play well with a ship's electrical system and can in fact be a hazard. Don't bring that type.

See: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51327143&postcount=5

chengkp75

Surge protectors only protect against high voltage spikes like you get on shore from blown pole transformers or lightning strikes. Neither of these things will affect your electronics when onboard a ship. The power transformers onboard do not drop from 10,000 volts to 220 volts like the pole transformers do, and they are a different type that do not fail like the pole transformers. Due to the floating ground on ships, lightning, even when it actually hits a ship, will not enter the electrical system like it does on land. I have been on several ships hit by lightning, and not one piece of electronics has been damaged, except for ship's radios, as the antennas tend to attract the strikes, but each antenna is separate so only some radios get affected.

The ship has thousands of pieces of electronics onboard, many more critical than your cell phone, like the navigation equipment, or the engine room automation that keeps the lights on, or the fire detection equipment, and there is not one surge protector either required or installed on any of these critical systems, because they are not required.

If you search either my posts, or do a CC search for surge protectors or suppressors, you can find posts that I or others have made that describe the dangers of surge protectors on ships, and even the USCG Safety Notice regarding them.

I have taken to calling the use of surge protectors onboard ships as just as much of a silent killer as heart disease, because it can strike at any time, causing a fire in your cabin, and will normally strike without warning, on a surge protector that has operated fine on past cruises, and is operating fine right up until the instant it fails.

Edited by pspercy