Escape Unlimited Internet Used for Imessage

gl339

I was considering purchasing the unlimited internet plan on the NCL Escape for solely Imessage use. I know the internet is slow as I have searched posts about people having trouble with emails and downloading documents, but how is the internet for just imessaging from iPhone to iPhone?

Internet is slow and your phone will keep disconnecting from the Wifi when its in "sleep" mode. I would not pay the money for unlimited internet just to use for iMessage. If you're wanting to use it to stay in touch while on the ship, download the NCL app from the Apple Store. I think it was $9 or $10 per person, and you can message through that. If it is for staying in touch back home, most carriers have a monthly international plan - I use Verizon and its $40 for 100 text, 100 minutes, and 100 MB of data, which was plenty for a week to stay in touch.

Are you talking about two iPhones on the ship? Because you'd need to purchase internet separately for each device, which is crazy expensive compared to activating iConcierge messaging on the two devices.

Other than that, in my experience iMessage works well over the ship's wifi, but I don't send a lot of photos or other multi-media, mostly just text. Make sure your messages are blue and not green (if they're green, you're paying to send them). On my last cruise, I didn't have any internet minutes or any package, just connected to the ship's network without logging on, and it still worked somehow… :) Other people have reported the same thing, but I wouldn't count on NCL keeping that loophole open.

Thanks everyone. I was looking on imessaging back home. I will definitely have to look into my providers plans to see how much that would be, but I am assuming that is only on land.

Nope, Verizon works while at sea as well. Crystal clear calls, and the internet was actually faster than the ship's, LOL.

I sailed on Escape 9/24 and to my surprise, all of my text iMessages kept coming through. So I tried sending and guess what, it worked. For free! Someone, even though I had airplane mode on and connected to the ship's wifi for just viewing purposes of the app, I was able to iMessage those both on and off the ship. It was the weirdest thing. No surprise charges at the end and nothing from my carrier.

Nope, Verizon works while at sea as well. Crystal clear calls, and the internet was actually faster than the ship's, LOL.

Verizon's changed their pricing for ship-board use. Data rates are now insane. $2.05/meg. Nearly 10x what it used to be. I think text/voice rates are about the same. Voice is $1.79/min and SMS texts are $0.50 to send, $0.05 to receive. I believe an MMS text is charged at the same rate plus the cost of the attached data at $2.05/meg but I didn't bother verifying.

So, if you do turn on international service on your Verizon phone, make sure automatic updates and background data are turned off. And you should probably turn off cellular data completely except when you intent do use it.

Does A T&T work on the cruise ship while out at sea to call back to the U.S. if going to the Mexican Riviera.
It works, but AT&T apparently doesn't offer any reduced-rate packages for NCL passengers. They will apply pay-per-use roaming rates, which according to this page are $2.50 minutes for voice calls (placed/received), $.50 per text message sent, and $.01 per kB of data received.

Maybe you can switch to Verizon… ? :D

I was considering purchasing the unlimited internet plan on the NCL Escape for solely Imessage use. I know the internet is slow as I have searched posts about people having trouble with emails and downloading documents, but how is the internet for just imessaging from iPhone to iPhone?

iMessage works fine. On most NCL ships, FaceTime voice also works fine. The internet on the Escape was exceptionally bad since her launch. The last time we were on her was in May prior to upgrades, so I can not tell you how well it works now.