January fog in nola?

carib1

My best friend and I are taking a short cruise in January. I have never taken a gulf cruise in the middle of winter before and was just wondering what the chances are with fog?

I still need to book airfare home, I would normally book an early time, but do not want to do that if there is a chance we could be delayed due to fog. My best friend has to get home to pick up her 3 children. If I book an early flight we can fly right into our home town, if not we have to fly back to Chicago Midway and then still drive 3 hours home.

We will be doing self assist debarkation.

Any help would be appreciated.:)

How early of a flight are you considering? Most morning fog burns off by 9am in most cities. NOLA has very mild winters in general.

I was looking at a 10:30am flight--we are doing self assist debarkation, and will have no luggage to check in at the airport. I have done 10:45 am flights with no problems before, just not in the winter.

• 1 month later...

Looks like this is an older post, but wanted to give you my opinion as I live here in NOLA.

Fog in Jan can absolutely be an issue, especially if we are having a warmer winter. It's probably a 1 in 5 chance of having fog on the river any particular morning that time of year, but only maybe a 1 in 30 chance of it being bad enough to halt river traffic. And it burns off by 9 am most days.