What's your take on the alcohol based anti-viral spray/liquid

SmoothFlying

I know and I try to do it a couple of times during the week. When I do it the first time the wipes are so dirty so it makes me feel better to know it's been cleaned at least to start the trip :)

We sanitize our cabin also and like you, are very surprised with how dirty the cloths get.

We have been cruising for quite some time. Fortunately we have never had any health issues on many cruises.

We never take wipes of any kind. We wash our hands often and vigorously. We avoid the public washrooms. We do not take any food at the buffet when it is self serve and susceptible to cruises touching same with their hands-most especially the breads, fruits, and cheeses. The only exception is coffee.

We avoid using the handrails in the elevator or on the stairs. If we have the misfortune to be sitting at a table with someone who is clearly ill, sneezing, hacking, whatever we politely leave.

In our experience we are much more likely to 'catch' something in the confines of a aircraft than we are on a cruise ship.

If I could guarantee that everybody washes hands often, long and vigorously, I wouldn't mind if they skipped the hand sanitizing station. It only takes one to touch everything - handrails, elevator buttons, backs of chairs, buffet utensils - with dirty hands... And it's not only about Noro.

If I could guarantee that everybody washes hands often, long and vigorously, I wouldn't mind if they skipped the hand sanitizing station. It only takes one to touch everything - handrails, elevator buttons, backs of chairs, buffet utensils - with dirty hands... And it's not only about Noro.

That, of course, could not be guaranteed.

I wash my hands often, and absolutely wash them before heading to the dining room. And I'm careful not to touch handrails, etc. on the way (we don't use elevators). I'm not really worried if someone else is bothered by me not using the sanitizer - I'm not going to use it to make someone else feel better. I know I'm clean.

As I indicated earlier, the only possible way to ensure nobody touches handrails with "dirty" hands is to ensure that nobody is allowed to use any sort of walking aid. There is no practical way to sterilise walking sticks; there is no practical way for someone who needs a walking stick without touching it with "dirty" hands. Either ban walking sticks, or accept that the bannisters etc. will be "dirty". There is no inbetween.

It's rough on those with compromised or inefficient immune systems, which appears to be a very large group, but it would be equally rough to ban elderly folk from cruising just because they happen to use a walking aid.