Gluten-free restaurants in Sydney?

No, just a couple of the guests require a gluten free menu.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

So the whole menu needs to be gluten free? I can't think of any restaurant like that but the odd menu item in most restaurants would be gluten free or you could call in advance for gluten free meal but there might not be much choice.

We're looking for recommendations for a gluten-free restaurant, in Sydney, that can handle a large-ish group. Preferably around Circular Quay.

Thanks! Bernadette

G'day, first up I am a Coeliac - gluten intolerant, so I look for GF options at any restaurant anywhere in the world. To my knowledge there is no restaurant in Sydney that has a completely GF menu, what most have will be GF options. A lot of menus do have GF listings. If your friends are Coeliac they will know what I mean there. Google up 'gluten free eating in Sydney.' Many will come up. And more importantly check with the server before the food order goes in, if they don't know what you are talking about, get them to speak to the Chef/Cook.

They will be fine. As in other countries, beware of sauces/gravies, ensure GF thickeners are used or avoid, also beware of crumbed and battered products, bread crumbing is the norm here and of course bread/pastries. Most decent hotels in Sydney have GF bread at breakfast, if in doubt ask !! Just like on a cruise ship, ask if they cannot decide what is GF or not.

Finally Circular/The Rocks is a tourist area, quite a few restaurants and I am sure most will have GF options. The menu item even if not marked GF, can be adjusted to suit.

Enjoy your cruise and happy eating.

Edited by NSWP

As others have said, many places in the circular quay area will be able to accommodate a group with a couple of gluten-free meals without much trouble. If you're game to just wander up toward the Opera House, there are a row of restaurants between the ferry terminal and the OH with a wide range of pricing and styles, nearly all have some good gluten free options.

One of my favourites is the other direction and is great if you like latin flavours. Contrabando is a little tricky to find but worth it. They also have a full gluten free and full vegetarian menu available with about 10-15 GF items. It's aboug a 5 min walk from Circular Quay - head up Loftus or Young street (the ones by customs house opposite the rail station) until you reach Bent street, turn left, on the right hand side of the road look for the upside down Noble House Chinese restaurant sign. It's a pretty non-descript entrance, just a plain glass door and a graffiti wall leading to a staircase. They do take reservations so if you have a big group check out their website and call ahead if it looks good.

Oh, the MCA cafe might be nice, too... they have a small menu so there are fewer GF options (maybe 2-3 choices?) but it's a great location with great views, very close to the OPT, and reasonably priced considering the area.

Oh, the MCA cafe might be nice, too... they have a small menu so there are fewer GF options (maybe 2-3 choices?) but it's a great location with great views, very close to the OPT, and reasonably priced considering the area.

Gorgeous views from their rooftop! Unfortunately, they close by 4 or 5pm, except Thursdays (9pm). We were on the hunt for a dinner option. Thanks for the suggestion :)

As others have said, many places in the circular quay area will be able to accommodate a group with a couple of gluten-free meals without much trouble. If you're game to just wander up toward the Opera House, there are a row of restaurants between the ferry terminal and the OH with a wide range of pricing and styles, nearly all have some good gluten free options.

One of my favourites is the other direction and is great if you like latin flavours. Contrabando is a little tricky to find but worth it. They also have a full gluten free and full vegetarian menu available with about 10-15 GF items. It's aboug a 5 min walk from Circular Quay - head up Loftus or Young street (the ones by customs house opposite the rail station) until you reach Bent street, turn left, on the right hand side of the road look for the upside down Noble House Chinese restaurant sign. It's a pretty non-descript entrance, just a plain glass door and a graffiti wall leading to a staircase. They do take reservations so if you have a big group check out their website and call ahead if it looks good.

Thank you! I've posted the link, to Contrabando, on our roll call. Food pics look great, and the prices were very reasonable. And yes, quite an extensive GF menu.

Hope you like it! It's one of my favourite places in the city. Keep an eye out for groupon/scoopon type deals, too, sometimes they do all you can eat tacos (but check fine print, you need to use certain days, dinner only, with booking etc)

I don't know of any restaurant in Australia that doesn't cater for people with food allergies or intolerances.

It is pretty good, isn't it? When traveling to the US I'm often struck by just how good we have it here. My kids have a weird set of intolerances, and here it's very easy to find something practically anywhere, lots of chain places have full ingredients on their websites, and I've had some amazing people helping me, bringing supply packaging from the kitchen cool room, making special meals etc just to accommodate them. And doing it so kindly. In the US I've found it's a little harder for anything that's a little unusual, sometimes the waitstaff and even the kitchen staff can't actually answer questions about what's in the food.

That being said, I can understand the OP looking for a recommendation. It's always wonderful when you're on a vegetarian/gluten free/dairy free/etc diet to be able to walk in and have a few choices rather than be directed to 'our gluten free choice' on the menu. And kind for anyone arranging a group dinner like that to seek options that would offer it.

I don't know of any restaurant in Australia that doesn't cater for people with food allergies or intolerances.

Even McDonalds, does the burger without the bun, in a box with fries and salad. Their ordering facility/cash registers have a button on them...'No Bun.' I often take my own GF bread/roll with me if on the road for that purpose. That applies in the UK/USA as well as Australian Maccas, I have tested them out.

Think I have mentioned this before but on the ships, I purloin some GF bread at breakfast, put it in a serviette (purloined too lol ! and at lunchtime am able to have some derivative of a 'burger' or hot dog, partly self made, the Burger bar cook dudes thought it funny.

Edited by NSWP

Even McDonalds, does the burger without the bun, in a box with fries and salad. Their ordering facility/cash registers have a button on them...'No Bun.' I often take my own GF bread/roll with me if on the road for that purpose. That applies in the UK/USA as well as Australian Maccas, I have tested them out.

Think I have mentioned this before but on the ships, I purloin some GF bread at breakfast, put it in a serviette (purloined too lol ! and at lunchtime am able to have some derivative of a 'burger' or hot dog, partly self made, the Burger bar cook dudes thought it funny.

Cruise ships are especially god at it.:D

It is pretty good, isn't it? When traveling to the US I'm often struck by just how good we have it here. My kids have a weird set of intolerances, and here it's very easy to find something practically anywhere, lots of chain places have full ingredients on their websites, and I've had some amazing people helping me, bringing supply packaging from the kitchen cool room, making special meals etc just to accommodate them. And doing it so kindly. In the US I've found it's a little harder for anything that's a little unusual, sometimes the waitstaff and even the kitchen staff can't actually answer questions about what's in the food.

That being said, I can understand the OP looking for a recommendation. It's always wonderful when you're on a vegetarian/gluten free/dairy free/etc diet to be able to walk in and have a few choices rather than be directed to 'our gluten free choice' on the menu. And kind for anyone arranging a group dinner like that to seek options that would offer it.

Some countries in Europe are even worse, especially Italy. My brother had no end of trouble, was even asked to leave as they had nothing for him that was gluten free.

Edited by MicCanberra

Some countries in Europe are even worse, especially Italy. My brother had no end of trouble, was even asked to leave as they had nothing for him that was gluten free.

And that is odd Mic as Italy has a very high ratio of Coeliacs. In Australia many restaurants these days also stock gluten free pasta, made from rice flour, maize flour, something like that, no wheat content means no gluten protein which is what destroys you.

Most of the GF Pasta I buy from the supermarkets are manufactured in Italia.

The ships have it too. Sorry to bore you all with this GF talk, but it is important for the traveller to stay well. I trust some people on here get some benefit by the discussions. Thank you for your interest Uncle Mic. Now your brother could have had a plate of lettuce, tomato and onion drenched in olive oil, perhaps with some parmesan cheese on top !! I have had that before in a joint with not much else GF.

Edited by NSWP

And that is odd Mic as Italy has a very high ratio of Coeliacs. In Australia many restaurants these days also stock gluten free pasta, made from rice flour, maize flour, something like that, no wheat content means no gluten protein which is what destroys you.

The ships have it too. Sorry to bore you all with this GF talk, but it is important for the traveller to stay well. I trust some people on here get some benefit by the discussions. Thank you for your interest Uncle Mic. Now your brother could have had a plate of lettuce, tomato and onion drenched in olive oil, perhaps with some parmesan cheese on top !! I have had that before in a joint with not much else GF.

I think the issues came with them sitting down looking at the menu and asking if they have anything that is gluten free having not being able to decipher the language themselves. Once mentioned, they got asked to leave. Possibly more of a communication issue than anything else.

Very interested in your GF experiences, do you know if princess ships have GF wraps?

Very interested in your GF experiences, do you know if princess ships have GF wraps?

Princess did not have GF Wraps on my last Princess Cruise - Golden Princess, Buenos Aires to LA in March 2014. P&O UK - Arcadia/Aurora did have them last year, up on deck at the sandwich bar.

I shall be on Island Princess 3 weeks today, will enquire if they have them, if they do, I shall certainly indulge and report back !!

Edited by NSWP

Princess did not have GF Wraps on my last Princess Cruise - Golden Princess, Buenos Aires to LA in March 2014. P&O UK - Arcadia/Aurora did have them last year, up on deck at the sandwich bar.

I shall be on Island Princess 3 weeks today, will enquire if they have them, if they do, I shall certainly indulge and report back !!

Thanks for that, Uncle Les, that will be just in time for my cruise to South Pacific on Emerald, also if you could find out about the if the speciality coffees and hot chocolate at the international cafe are GF. Thank you :)