Need help planning our Juneau day......

Mitch2016

We are sailing next June 5th-12th on the NCL Sun. We dock in Juneau on July 8th, 11:00 in the morning until 9:00 that night. We are planning to do the Taku Lodge Glacier Flightseeing trip and we need to check in with them at 2:30 for our 3:00 trip that returns us to Juneau at 6:00.

Does anyone have suggestions on what we should do prior to 2:30 and after 6:00?? I thought of doing Mendenhall in the morning, but the Blue Bus tour is first come/first serve coming and going and we have to be back by 2:30. Any suggestions on getting there....maybe a taxi?? Does anyone know if there is a tour that just goes to Mendenhall that is not first come/first serve on the blue bus that fits but an actual reserved seat?

What would anyone recommend to do afterward? I wouldn't mind a small drive around Juneau to see the historic sites but don't think there is enough time. Maybe a trip to Mt. Roberts and an adult beverage at the Red Dog Saloon to top off the day? :)

Edited by Mitch2016

there are 2 shuttle companies for Mendenhall ... I responded to a post below about' the blue bus' with both web sites,

you could take the first available bus then have a cab reserved to pick you up at 1:30. Take the number and your phone with you to call them again at 1pm as a reminder. It's about a 20-30 minute drive.

I'd also call each bus company to verify that they have a one-way fare. Otherwise it's $30 pp RT and a cab will be about $35 each way. If you can't get a one way shuttle ticket you might as well beat the crowd and take a taxi both ways. Find someone on your roll call to share the cost .....

Edited by mapleleaves

there are 2 shuttle companies for Mendenhall ... I responded to a post below about' the blue bus' with both web sites,

you could take the first available bus then have a cab reserved to pick you up at 1:30. Take the number and your phone with you to call them again at 1pm as a reminder. It's about a 20-30 minute drive.

I'd also call each bus company to verify that they have a one-way fare. Otherwise it's $30 pp RT and a cab will be about $35 each way. If you can't get a one way shuttle ticket you might as well beat the crowd and take a taxi both ways. Find someone on your roll call to share the cost .....

Thank you for your response! I am wondering if it wouldn't be better just to reserve a taxi to bring us back. That would be $70 round trip for the two of us.....do you know what the admission into the Mendenhall glacier costs? My concern is how will a taxi find us at the port, or are they readily available to grab?

Really looking forward to our Taku Lodge trip....hope the weather is good that we can do the flightseeing portion and see the Juneau ice field from the air!

Enjoy Taku Lodge! It was the BEST excursion. Have your camera ready at all times for pictures of bears. There is so much to do in Juneau, including taking the tram up the mountain.

I think this excursion is the one I am most excited about! We haven't booked too many yet, and not planning too many high dollar ones other than this. I hope the weather is good and we have a good flight and can see the Juneau ice fields!

If you like Crab---then you must go to Sally's Crab Shack in the center of town.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I myself love crab....could eat tons of it! But the hubs thinks it's too much work cracking the legs to get to the meat. I'm not sure we'll have time to do that if we want to get to Mendanhall Glacier in the morning, and do the tram when we get back to Juneau after the Taku Lodge....but thanks for the suggestion! :)

We took the Taku Lodge trip this August. It was excellent in every way. It was the 14.30 trip and the sun was shining and warm. A lot of cross wind on way there, but this had gone for return flight. Views are stunning and the Lodge itself is so quiet and peaceful. We didn't see the bears that day. The salmon meal was super and then we had a guided walk through the woods, again so peaceful. It's worth the extra expense definitely. Have a great time. Jean.

Hi I was just wondering how you booked this excursion already. We planned to book through Princess but won't be able to until at least February. I went to the Wings Airways site but it looks like it directs cruise passengers to book through the ship? What is the best way to book it?