New to HAL - compared to Princess/Celebrity?

shipfriend_max

Can anyone explain to me why it is that HAL has a Catholic priest in particular onboard ? And why the daily mass? ... I'm an ex-catholic so understand the catholic faith but know of no church that offers mass daily whilst on land ...

IIRC the founders of the original HAL (Netherlands American Steam Navigation Company) included a provision in the charter documents that a Roman Catholic priest is to be aboard every one of its cruises.

In the "old days", when virtually every Catholic parish in the US had at least one priest in residence, Mass was offered daily (sometimes more than one a day) to afford the faithful ample opportunity to praise and honor God. With the declining number of priests in the US, few churches have the luxury of daily Mass.

Smooth sailing ...

In fact, the Catholics on board who are interested in attending are likely to not want others to even know about it - because there is limited seating which frequently require attendees to stand - and those who are not interested in attending are extremely unlikely to evangelize - it should be a total non-event for you.

Speaking only for myself (since I do not know for certain what anyone else is thinking), I hope all passengers will feel welcome to attend Mass on board. I'd gladly stand to allow more passengers to attend Mass. And, if a larger venue is needed to accommodate the crowds, I feel certain that HAL will respond appropriately. All are welcome.

Smooth sailing ...

And, if a larger venue is needed to accommodate the crowds, I feel certain that HAL will respond appropriately.

Not always, in my experience.

There has been more than one cruise, on Vista/Signature ships, where Saturday Vigil and Sunday Mass has been assigned to the Hudson Room, with extension to the next conference room(s). Even opening all three conference rooms was insufficient for the crowds, with extra chairs filling every square inch, and it would have been in violation of fire laws on land.

The next weeks the Vigil and Sunday Masses should have been moved to at least the Queen's Lounge, if not the showroom, to accommodate the size of the crowds, but was not.

Not always, in my experience.

There has been more than one cruise, on Vista/Signature ships, where Saturday Vigil and Sunday Mass has been assigned to the Hudson Room, with extension to the next conference room(s). Even opening all three conference rooms was insufficient for the crowds, with extra chairs filling every square inch, and it would have been in violation of fire laws on land.

The next weeks the Vigil and Sunday Masses should have been moved to at least the Queen's Lounge, if not the showroom, to accommodate the size of the crowds, but was not.

... maybe I should've prefaced my comment, "If feasible, I feel certain that HAL will respond appropriately." I remain confident that HAL will do whatever is feasible to accommodate the reasonable needs of its passengers. Sorry to have been so sloppy in my earlier Post.

... maybe I should've prefaced my comment, "If feasible, I feel certain that HAL will respond appropriately." I remain confident that HAL will do whatever is feasible to accommodate the reasonable needs of its passengers. Sorry to have been so sloppy in my earlier Post.

You weren't "sloppy". Just wrong. HAL did not do what was "feasible" to accommodate what was "reasonable".

You weren't "sloppy". Just wrong. HAL did not do what was "feasible" to accommodate what was "reasonable".

How thoughtful of you to correct me ... of course, I had no way of knowing that the Queen's Lounge was available (as you implied above) and that HAL simply refused to accommodate the reasonable needs of its passengers. More to the point, however, is that I did not comment on what occurred on your cruise, but rather on what I believe HAL would do in such circumstances based on my experiences when HAL has moved the Mass to a larger venue on weekend days to accommodate the larger crowds. Thanks again for your thoughtful (and kind) correction.

Royal Princess 6/2015. Ate in MDR 3 times (12 nights), inedible all 3. Specialty restaurants only edible food. Lido ok.

I totally disagree with the part I highlighted in your post. In all my cruises, I have never seen a buffet as expansive and with the choices offered on Princess Royal Class. The buffet on Regal blew away what I've seen on HAL.

In our experience your chances of having a wonderful cruise with everything perfect is the same on HAL as it is on Celebrity or Princess. They are all much of the same.

Just select your ship carefully based upon your personal preferences. The rest comes down to luck of the draw.