Nooby Family onboard RCCL Explorer of the Seas

Kostiz

What about travel insurance, what is recommended and what is the type of cover we would need as I am not concern too much about theft since we do not plan on taking any jewellery or 4 ipads?

Just basic cover for health or injuries or if we need to visit the onboard medical facilities

Ideally I would like an answer from local Aussies who use and take travel insurance

PEACE

Kosti

What about travel insurance, what is recommended and what is the type of cover we would need as I am not concern too much about theft since we do not plan on taking any jewellery or 4 ipads?

Just basic cover for health or injuries or if we need to visit the onboard medical facilities

Ideally I would like an answer from local Aussies who use and take travel insurance

PEACE

Kosti[/quote

I am using the complimentary international travel insurance that comes with my ANZ Platinum Rewards credit card. Cover is automatically applied provided you spend at least AUD 250 towards the cost of your holiday using the card. It covers myself, spouse and all dependant children travelling together.

Other Ozzie banks have similar cards.

Enjoy your cruise

I've never cruised from Australia, but everywhere I've embarked I've never been stopped from bringing pop onboard. I usually take a couple of 2 litre plastic bottles for the cabin and sometimes I even buy another at ports of call. Although strictly speaking this is against their rules, no one has ever said anything to me.

As well as the 110v US sockets all cabins have a European style 220v outlet too. We always use an adaptor to plug our 240V UK items into it.

I just noticed there are 6 of you, are you all in one cabin, if not you can take 2 bottles of wine per cabin.

Julie

Edited by kernow
text

Well I just read you are not allowed to bring power boards which is a real shame since there is a number of items I would need to charge up with 6 people in a cabin since there are only possibly two outlets in the room for powering items

Snap! :mad:

Hi I have taken A BELKIN Surge Protector multiplug a few times. It has a rotating plug to fit into an adaptor to the US socket taking into account the positioning of the plug and then a couple of sockets for AUS and NZ style plugs on the top, as well as a USB port. Because it has no cord, it is fine to take.

I got it at J B Hifi or similar.

Another option if most of your devices will charge off a USB port, is to buy a multi port USB charger plug so you can use one socket to charge 3 or 4 things..

PEACE

Kosti

I am intending to get SCTI (southern Cross Travel Insurance) insurance.. has good reviews for both buying and claiming, and Ive checked they do cover cruising.. price is pretty reasonable for me for the 3 weeks im away.. not sure of their family packages though sorry

Be aware that Medicare stops the instant the ship leaves Sydney, Im not sure if we are covered via medicare for the day stops in Brisbane or Darwin...

Thanks you all for the comments about insurance, it so happened I was talking about it today with a work colleague and just like Rusty1963 mentioned my CC also offers free travel insurance as part of my platinum packed with CBA, so that covers that off!! Awesome !!! I will contact them possibly tomorrow and confirm we are all covered and whether i need to spend anything on the card but looking on my app it just states activate prior to travelling

As for power requirements, I purchased off ebay a few 4 port USB power plugs and will mod a board just incase, but if they have the AUS plug socket then all is good

I found out about the 2 wine bottles but that's not enough and we only have 1 room with all 6 :p:eek:

PEACE

Kosti

Hey BekkaW

The drink package still annoys me, i roughly calculate i would drink $40 on any given night, however paying an additional 18% tip on that makes it frustrating so for me personally not worth it at all

I wish they offered a better family package for drinks although I love my coffee but the above $40 is including a couple of beers + a few coffee's a day arrrgghhhh....

I have a few more months to decide :p

PEACE

Kosti

Point to note for RCI cruises out of Australia is that all prices are inclusive of 18% gratuities. That is, the drinks package price shown on the Australian website includes gratuity and when you buy a drink on board, 18% is not added to the price (confirmed when you check your onboard account during the cruise out of Australia). It's due to Australian law about the advertised price being the price you pay and no more. As this is predominantly a USA based forum, this is rarely (if ever) mentioned.

Also, you don't need to get a package for the whole cruise, but when you do buy it, it has to continue until the end of the cruise. 4 days is the minimum you can do in this regard.

Cheers!

Hey Nutto

Thanks that makes it a little clearer and glad I could just buy a 4 day drink pass :p

This gratitude tipping is a rip off, so I am paying this as part of my tickets and even my 3 yr old paid it in full then if I get drinks this carries a further 18% which is included int he price...:eek::eek::eek:

I maybe over thinking this but for people who want to have a social drink here and there is just insane.

I may just buy a 4 day and be happy :D

Just to clarify, you can't get a 4 day pass as such. Example: If I go on a 7 day cruise and start off with no drink package, but after the first day I decided to get a package on board, then the package would go for 6 days, as all packages start from whatever day you buy then and finish at the end of the cruise. Where the 4 days comes into it is that you can buy a package on board an anytime up to 4 days before the cruise finishes. This means that if you want a package for the minimum time of 4 days, it must be the last 4 days of your cruise.

Re 18% grats, any price you see listed on the bar menu is inclusive of 18

% grats when cruising from Aus. Outside Aus (i.e USA) the prices shown are exclusive of grats, so we have it OK out of OZ.

Re the package price, the current price of $66Au/day all inclusive if you buy before the cruise will be less than the daily price if bought on board, so it makes it harder to decide. For me it's a no brainer. It takes about 5-6 drinks per day (including coffee, bottles water, fresh juice) to break even. You don't need to drink like a crazy man to do that !

Re travel insurance - just make sure whatever policy to take yiu are covered for medivac from ship - alot of covers don't incorporate this into their policies, especially credit card companies, with most policies you are required to add a 'cruise pack' to the regional policy to get coverage.

You are not covered under medicare for any ship medical expenses even if in Australian waters or ports, unless you go ashore and get seen ofcourse :-)

Ive only needed medical treatment once 15 yrs ago and back then it was around $140 for a simple consult and antinausea injection.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

Just on the insurance part I ended up calling one of the insurance company which is included free travel insurance as part of my CC and was told since it covers my entire family:D

The only additional charge is because I am going on a cruise there is an option to select for cruise ships, which incurs a cost which is minimal, I will ask and confirm medivac from ship

PEACE

Kosti

Kosti

We did our first cruise last year and are doing another one at christmas. With two slightly older kids, i can give you the following information:

Seasickness - my eldest suffers from really bad air sickness. For what ever reason, he was fine from day one. Our last cruise was from Sydney to New Zealand and I would say the seas were fairly calm. We did take tablets and the travel bands but didnt need them at all. My mother in law, who takes cruises all the time, did book our cabin in the middle of the ship which apparently does not bounce around so much.

Activities - my two boys absolutely loved the cruise (10 & 12) and spent most of their time playing soccer on the basketball court, skating, ping pong, swimming and using the flowrider. With the flowrider, you simply need to line up. I think the longest wait was about 20 minutes. Your kids are also the perfect age for the kids club - unfortunately, my youngest was at the top of the age group, so did not really enjoy playing with the younger kids.

Drinks Packages - funnily enough my husband and I were just having this conversation - which was why I was lurking around cruisecritic. If you google Royal Carribbean drinks packages there is a really good article on whether you should/should not buy the drinks package on a website called RoyalCarribeanblog.com. As a result of reading this, we have now decided to simply pay as we go - the amount you would have to drink on a daily basis, for the entire cruise, was alot more that we could or would. With the kids, we decided against the soft drink package simply because we dont want our kids to be drinking soft drinks all day everyday. As someone mentioned - there is a softserve ice-cream machine on the pool deck.

I am sure you will have an amazing time.

• 1 month later...
Kosti

We did our first cruise last year and are doing another one at christmas. With two slightly older kids, i can give you the following information:

Seasickness - my eldest suffers from really bad air sickness. For what ever reason, he was fine from day one. Our last cruise was from Sydney to New Zealand and I would say the seas were fairly calm. We did take tablets and the travel bands but didnt need them at all. My mother in law, who takes cruises all the time, did book our cabin in the middle of the ship which apparently does not bounce around so much.

Activities - my two boys absolutely loved the cruise (10 & 12) and spent most of their time playing soccer on the basketball court, skating, ping pong, swimming and using the flowrider. With the flowrider, you simply need to line up. I think the longest wait was about 20 minutes. Your kids are also the perfect age for the kids club - unfortunately, my youngest was at the top of the age group, so did not really enjoy playing with the younger kids.

Drinks Packages - funnily enough my husband and I were just having this conversation - which was why I was lurking around cruisecritic. If you google Royal Carribbean drinks packages there is a really good article on whether you should/should not buy the drinks package on a website called RoyalCarribeanblog.com. As a result of reading this, we have now decided to simply pay as we go - the amount you would have to drink on a daily basis, for the entire cruise, was alot more that we could or would. With the kids, we decided against the soft drink package simply because we dont want our kids to be drinking soft drinks all day everyday. As someone mentioned - there is a softserve ice-cream machine on the pool deck.

I am sure you will have an amazing time.

Thanks for this, apology for the delay, everything got hectic around XMAS and NY, but now paid in full and completed the online checkin, so woot we are only about 30+ odd days away and can't wait

I've pumped up the kids about the kids clubs and all the fun stuff they are going to do..The wife is just jumping out of her skin thinking dresses and bikini's to wear :D

As for the drinking package, what sucks even more now is the AUD dollar being so poor against the USD..hate it hate it right now, missed out on a special they had for drinks and internet package bit now at $70 a day, RCCL can shove their so called "deluxe package" :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for this, apology for the delay, everything got hectic around XMAS and NY, but now paid in full and completed the online checkin, so woot we are only about 30+ odd days away and can't wait

I've pumped up the kids about the kids clubs and all the fun stuff they are going to do..The wife is just jumping out of her skin thinking dresses and bikini's to wear :D

As for the drinking package, what sucks even more now is the AUD dollar being so poor against the USD..hate it hate it right now, missed out on a special they had for drinks and internet package bit now at $70 a day, RCCL can shove their so called "deluxe package" :eek:

It is daunting on your first cruise. It's really amazing what they don't tell you and leave you to work out for yourselves.

If it's helps at all - we bought the soft drink packages as we don't drink alcohol (my hubby and I) and canceled them the next day. Mainly because 1. The stupid refill machines were few and far between (there was one on the promenade and two I think in the windjammers - that's it and most of the time they were faulty or out of the drinknyiu wanted.

- 2. We worked out very quickly there was free lemonade (the old school lemon and water kind) - iced water, coffee , tea and hot chocolate free all the time from the promenade cafe or windjammers.

There is no need to buy those packages.

There is milk ALL THE time at the promenade cafe.

There is free ice cream all the time near the pool too.

Not sure what cabin type you got but here's hoping it's a suite as imagining six of you in our inside cabin blew my mind.

Keep in mind you can grab food and drink and take it from anywhere to anywhere on the ship - so we would get food and drink and head out to the pool deck and watch a movie while we ate rather then compete for tables in windjammers.

There are always heaps of deck chairs as long as you don't mind being right next to the pool which is usually not a great place to be anyway as you get wet and it's loud and the music is ontop of you etc.

If I had that amount of kids I would of gone of he Voyager mainly because it has the dreamworks themeing for kids - Explorer is more about art and adulting - but is still heaps of fun for kids.

The wave rider and climbing wall are intimidating to say the least and the wait for the wave rider is usually around 1hr (only to fall on your ass within five seconds) - book a lesson of you can once you are onboard.

Don't miss the ice show, belly flop competition and dancing on the promenade.

Don't worry about tipping.

We paid our gratuities and tipped at the end of the cruise - they give you special envelopes so you can write who it's for etc on the last day.

This time (we are going on Feb 22nd again on the Explorer) I'm going to cancel the automatic gratuities because well there were people who just didn't deserve them - like the customer service desk people for example who sucked... but the room attendant and waiters etc did deserve it - so this time I'm saving it all for them and not tipping automatically.

You can cancel the automatic grats when you board on the first day.

I would also suggest having a cash account rather then having them charge your cc.

They hold a lot of money for no reason and realise it after the cruise so it's better to give them cash and top it up if needed.

Do not use the ATM on board.

It's a huge rip off.

Do not put you room cards anywhere near your mobile phone, credit or key cards, or anything electrical or they stop working.

This happened to us no less then 6 times on a ten day cruise - we were constantly locked out.

You can charge your mobile phones etc in the back of the TV although it charges slower then normal and there TV has to be on.

They will take any power boards off you but they will supply you with two adapters if pushed - they only want to give you one.

If you have one - take a TV recorder box or something to plug into the Tv to watch movies etc as there is little to watch and what there is is usually subtitled.

The box will allow you to also plug in things to charge 😜

There is no way to contact each other on board.

You phone will not work - the internet although expensive is very intermittent and unreliable but we still get it anyway so we can contact home.

Do not book port tours through RC - they are a rip off - book all tours independently through websites and travel agents.

Take heaps of sunscreen, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo& cond-razors etc - there is no shop and what they do have will give you a heart attack with prices.

When our ship got to Neumea it was like the whole ship went straight to the supermarket!

Don't drink the water in the mini bar unless you want to pay $13 US for it ( but be careful they don't just put it on your bill anyway).

i love the Expolerer and I'm positive you guys will have an awesome time, just remember to take seasickness tablets - the first few days getting out of Sydney can be rough but then it's like it never happened.

Not long to go now! How exciting!!!

@CruiseyTash

Thanks for the post, indeed we are excited, but not thrilled at RCCL behaviour to increase the drink package to find even with this increase the package doesn't cover for some drinks that we first thought, we could end up paying $1 or $2 more plus there BS 18% surcharge, how disappointing

Corporate greed!

Thanks everyone, really some great advise and help tips, so thanks!

I am also wondering about motion sickness, since none of us have been on a huge ship and we are right up at the starboard of the ship, so not sure how the kids will handle it

What is recommended for children and adults for motion sickness or should we just go without it?

Better to be sure than sorry re sea sickness. Speak to your pharmacist - they will be able to recommend something for the kids. I take Avomine which is an over-the-counter medication. Works for me

Well then, I guess we are back to "push them to give me a better deal or threaten to cancel it."

Technically RCL Australia claim they will reduce your price if the price goes down before final payment date (same as in USA). I haven't had to test this claim yet as the price of recent cruises have not gone down that low.

As for my next point ( and I will probably get Flamed for this). If you feel that the amount of gratuities that you are paying is excessive (especially for the children), you can ask your agent/RCL to remove them now and just pay what you feel appropriate when you get on board. RCL Australia has a policy of making you pay them upfront but it cannot be enforced

Apparently it's because the staff are still on the American wage system of the tips supporting their low wage (which doesn't happen her thankgoodness).

I have seen reviews and threads talking about the staff not liking to work in Australian waters because we don't tip like Americans do.

We always tip based on service, so it's hard to get used to an automated system. I can't imagine why after paying for a drink package and paying 18% gratuity anyone would actually tip ontop!

You most certainly shouldn't be paying them for your 3yr old!

On the first day just head to the customer service desk and ask for automatic gratuities to be removed from your account.

You can still tip people when you want to and you don't feel like it's extausion.

The drinks are expensive to stop people getting blotto pretty much.

I will promise you that you will be impressed with the ship overall and the service .. you don't come away feeling ripped off as you are treated so well and here really is so much included in your booking price food/fun/entertainment ... your wife is going to LOVE having a holiday where she doesn't have to cook or clean the whole time.

Yep, next thing is to get the motion sickness stuff for the kids, I will probably take some too, but curious the effect it will have if consuming alcohol

I was thinking of asking about a refund of the $142 gratuities paid by each of my 3, 5, 8 & 10 each, seriously this is a joke...but how does one tip at the end, surely I'm not going to pay $142 dollars per kids because they RCCL team done what they do for every other child / person onboard?

Oh well, got to stop over thinking this!!

Not long to go

There are envelopes in the stateroom you can use to regularly tip your stateroom atnedant if you like - on the last day of the cruise they will leave extra envelopes on your bed so you can tip the staff you want to - you just have to remember your waiters name.

Because we paid the gratuities last time we just tipped $20 Australian at the end which would of been more had I not been working on the cruise myself.

This time we plan on leaving $100 for the cabin attendant and $50 for the waiters.

We are considering tipping the cabin attendant $50 when we show up on the first day ... apparently they look after you extra if you do this but we can't get away from the corniness of the whole 'there's more where that came from if you play your cards right' wink wink thing. I have never really experienced the pre-tip thing so this will be new to us.

They do have sea sickness tablets on the ship but most of the time they just suggest green apples - after 24 hrs of apples and pineapples I gave up and took the meds. I was better almost immediately but it wasn't until a well seasoned cruiser gave me one of her own tablets she had brought with her that I was 100%.

Not going without it this time.

It was a bit funny... like the whole ship was drunk!

I have heard good things about the arm bands you can buy for the kids.

Yep, next thing is to get the motion sickness stuff for the kids, I will probably take some too, but curious the effect it will have if consuming alcohol

I was thinking of asking about a refund of the $142 gratuities paid by each of my 3, 5, 8 & 10 each, seriously this is a joke...but how does one tip at the end, surely I'm not going to pay $142 dollars per kids because they RCCL team done what they do for every other child / person onboard?

Oh well, got to stop over thinking this!!

Not long to go

Your logic doesn't make sense. If the RCCL is doing what they do for everyone else, aren't they entitled to the same pay (tips) from you as they get from everyone else? :rolleyes:

You act like you're the only one being asked to pay tips. You're not. Instead of thinking of it as a "tip", think of it as a "service charge" and part of the required cost.