Broadway Advice for NY Visitors

MarkBearSF

One of my obsessions over the past 20 years or so has been Broadway. We try to visit at least once a year and I follow the various online forums to learn what's coming, what's good, and what's closing (not that the latter two are mutually exclusive).

For instance, this May, before our crossing, we'll be seeing 9 shows in 6 days. Six Degrees of Separation (Allison Janney), Dear Evan Hansen, Glass Menagerie (Sally Field), Pacific Overtures (George Takei), Hello Dolly (Bette Midler, David Hyde-Pierce), War Paint (Patti LuPone, Christine Ebersole), The Great Comet (Josh Groban), Come From Away, and an intimate staging of Sweeney Todd in an actual pie shop in the E. Village (technically a recreation of a London production that was staged in the oldest pie shop in the city).

If you have any questions on which shows you might enjoy or hints on getting discounts please let me know! (There are many options other than the long lines at the TKTS booth in Times Square). By the way, if you're asking for advice, some helpful information might include:

• The ages of the attendees
  • What shows to date they've enjoyed (or really hated)
  • Preference for play or musical
  • Preference for light entertainment vs more thoughtful fare
  • Importance of cheap pricing, popular/new hits, stars in the cast

No I don't know how to get cheap tickets to Hamilton (but I'm familiar with the pros-and-cons of some of the ways to get them expensively)

You can also email me at markbearsf@mac.com.

Edited by MarkBearSF

One of my strongest pieces of advice is to NOT buy your tickets from broadway.com. They have a slimy business model of buying search results and creating pages that make the unwary think that they are the official source for tickets, when in actuality, they're a ticket broker that charges fees over the those charged by the theatre and the official ticket agency. Unless you really know what you're doing, it is VERY easy to be tricked by them.

What is particularly slimy is that the fees they charge are WAY higher by multiples what you would pay from the official source. (FAR above industry norm) ...and they're not particularly well publicized before the actual purchase.

They ARE a great source for information on shows, videos and stuff like that. Just don't buy tickets there.

(A couple of pro-broadway.com points: You will get your tickets. They will not be counterfeit. They're not a fly-by-night oepration. Also, in EXTREMELY rare circumstances, their exhorbitant prices on blocks of tickets they've pre-bought can be cheaper than that on the resale sites like StubHub. This happened for a couple of weeks in July where the frenzy to catch the original cast of Hamilton before they left drove other sources into the stratosphere)

Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Although limited in scope and most useful for people in the tri-state area, joining the Theater Devlopment Fund (TDF.org) gives you steeply discounted tickets to both Broadway and off-Broadway shows. They run the TKTS booths. BTW, the TKTS booth near the South Street Seaport offers matinee tickets the day before, plus they sell both matinee and evening performances all day from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Duffy Square sells evening shows starting at 3 p.m., matinees starting at 10 a.m.). There is almost never a line, though it is a trek downtown. But if you are visiting the Seaport or Ground Zero, you are in the area already. Also there is a temporary "Pop-Up" TKTS booth now at Lincoln Center through January 28, 2017, open from noon to 7 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.

Playbill.com has promo codes you can use to buy discounted tickets. They do NOT sell the tickets themselves. I've used their discounts a lot. You go through the same telecharge or ticketmaster site as for a regular purchase, but the code gets you better prices. Or, if you're local, you can print out the offer and take it to the box office. For some theaters, I've been able to get better seats in person than ticketmaster showed as available online.

Be VERY careful about googling a show's name to find tickets. The first few sites on the list when I searched for Bette Middler's "Hello Dolly" were for reselling sites, some of which had exorbitant prices. The official show site, with a link to their official seller, was fourth or fifth down the list, IIRC.

Excellent advice all around.

The advice on Hello Dolly is a specific instance of broadway.com business practice. The best place, if you can't find an official site for the show is to go directly to the two agencies which handle tickets for all Broadway shows: Telecharge - which covers all Shubert theatres (about 60% of them) and TicketMaster (Nederlander and some others).

Likewise, great advice on TDF and the other TKTS locations. A bit more - there are apps that will list the currently available shows that day which may save time in line.

Additionally, the Playbill Club is also one of my go-to locations for discount codes (you can use these online, at the box office, or on the phone). Most, but not all shows place their offers on all the services - so you may also want to check broadwaybox.com and theatermania.com.

Operating a little differently, but also offering good discounts, is goldstar.com. They also have offers throughout the country. However, you will not know your exact seats until you pick them up at will-call (you choose the section, however). Also TodayTix is an app which offers deals on tickets for the same day. In most cases, you meet someone outside the theatre who will deliver the ticket.

Finally, most shows have rush policies and lotteries (some of which are digital) which offer a limited number of same day tickets for cheap. Policies vary widely by show. In some cases you may have to show a valid student ID.

Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Thanks OP for the offer of assistance!! DH and I will be in NYC for 1 night on 1/2 and I'd like to see a show. It doesn't have to be on B'way... off or off/off would be cool. We like musicals. DH prefers things with happy endings. We've seen a some of the big hits on Broadway over the years -

Phantom, Cats, Titanic, Grease, Miss Saigon, Ragtime, Cabaret, Rent, Jesus Christ Super Star, Chicago

I tried to get us tickets to Hamilton but they are dark that night. Boo! I'd love to see Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Noise's Off (not a musical of course, but delightful!), Peter and the Star Catchers, Finding Neverland, The Wedding Singer.

Is there an easy way to see what's playing on a particular night on Broadway, Off Broadway, Off-Off Broadway? The production of Sweeney Todd in a pie shop sounds amazing! How does one find out about these things? An opera or ballet would be nice too but I didn't see anything at the Met and I don't know where else to look.

Finally, any ideas on how to research and get tickets to a show in London?

Maple_Girl, A lot of questions there.

Based upon your favorite shows, I'd think about Kinky Boots, School of Rock, or Aladdin. (Many other possibilities, however). Discounts should be available for the first two - check playbill.com and broadwaybox.com to see. (free registration required for discount codes)

If you go to the ticketing sites for the shows (telecharge.com or ticketmaster.com - not broadway.com) you should see availability for that show (for the periods that they're selling tickets). Playbill.com usually publishes complete holiday schedules, but hasn't yet for this year.

They also publish an ongiong complete list of show schedules for the upcoming week.

I've found whatsonstage.com to be invaluable for finding what's playing on the West End and theatreboard.co.uk to be a great chat board for more research and scuttlebut. Likewise, for chat on Broadway, I depend upon broadwayworld.com. (Which is how I found out about the Sweeney production)

Mark

Is there an easy way to see what's playing on a particular night on Broadway, Off Broadway, Off-Off Broadway? ...

Here's one way: http://www.newyorkcitytheatre.com/common/monthly_events.php?year=2017&month=1&category=Musical

I haven't purchased tickets from that website so I have no advice about that, but it gives comprehensive listings by month which I found helpful. :) -S.

Thanks for the link, Salacia! (Just added it to my bookmarks)

School of Rock looks like a distinct possibility, Maple_Girl!

(...although the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular is an enjoyable classic!)

Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

School of Rock looks like a distinct possibility, Maple_Girl!

(...although the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular is an enjoyable classic!)

To be specific, given the limited shows available from Salacia's link (I was unaware that 1/2/17 is a Monday)

Already mentioned School of Rock and the RCMH Christmas Spectacular.

Long running hits - Phantom vs Chicago - Very long running shows can get tired. (Fraying costumes, sloppy performances...) Phantom gets consistent reports that it's kept fresh and under continual review. Chicago much less so - but they get guest stars often which may be appealing to you.

Cats - ugh (sorry, I personally really hate the show)

One more possibilty - I love Feinstein's 54 Below cabaret. Here's what's on their calendar https://54below.com/events/broadways-guilty-pleasures/ The food is OK too (and reasonably priced).

Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Thanks OP for the offer of assistance!! DH and I will be in NYC for 1 night on 1/2 and I'd like to see a show. It doesn't have to be on B'way... off or off/off would be cool. We like musicals. DH prefers things with happy endings. We've seen a some of the big hits on Broadway over the years -

Phantom, Cats, Titanic, Grease, Miss Saigon, Ragtime, Cabaret, Rent, Jesus Christ Super Star, Chicago

I tried to get us tickets to Hamilton but they are dark that night. Boo! I'd love to see Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Noise's Off (not a musical of course, but delightful!), Peter and the Star Catchers, Finding Neverland, The Wedding Singer.

Is there an easy way to see what's playing on a particular night on Broadway, Off Broadway, Off-Off Broadway? The production of Sweeney Todd in a pie shop sounds amazing! How does one find out about these things? An opera or ballet would be nice too but I didn't see anything at the Met and I don't know where else to look.

Finally, any ideas on how to research and get tickets to a show in London?

The Met is doing The Magic Flute on Jan 2nd at 7pm. It's relatively short for an opera and Mozart is always fabulous. I've never seen this production but my season booklet states it is sung in English and they promote it as the "family" holiday version [likely why it's sung in English].

We are on the same crossing as you and for London we plan to see Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap @ St. Martin's theatre. It's a bit cliche I know but I'm a huge Christie fan and I've never seen it despite 4 previous visits to London! I did check https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/whats-on/calendar/jan/11 and it gives a listing of other shows running. I've never booked through them so cannot comment on that but at least it is a good place to research what's available. Aladdin is running and the tickets seem to be cheaper than you would find in NY even with the exchange rate.

Edited by Bostonjetset

Do also check what Roundabout Theater is producing - always top notch (roundabouttheater.org). Instead of the Rock Center Christmas Show, go see Holiday Inn, yes the one based on the Bing Crosby/Fred Astaire/Marjorie Reynolds movie. Unsold seats are offered at TKTS. But the quintessential NYC Christmas treat is the NYC Ballet's production of George Balanchine's The Nutcracker. These tickets are NEVER at the TKTS booth as they invariably sell out and I have never seen a discount for them. Another good musical to see is Something Rotten (see how many references to other B'way shows you can catch), which will run through January 1, 2017. OMG, there is just sooo much to see...!

Diane

Edited by newcruise
More info

Do also check what Roundabout Theater is producing - always top notch (roundabouttheater.org). Instead of the Rock Center Christmas Show, go see Holiday Inn, yes the one based on the Bing Crosby/Fred Astaire/Marjorie Reynolds movie. Unsold seats are offered at TKTS. Although not a Roundabout production, Something Rotten (see how many references to other B'way shows you can catch) will run through January 1, 2017. OMG, there is just sooo much to see...!

Diane

The catch in this case is the OP can only see shows on Monday Jan 2.

...and I must agree with you about Roundabout (usually) and LOVED their production of "She Loves Me" (broadacast to selected movie theatres on Dec 3 throughout the US and available soon for online viewing via BreadwayHD. ...sorry, I just loved the production so much) and also thoroughly enjoyed Something Rotten, and often choose the recording when I want a fun show.

Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

The Met is doing The Magic Flute on Jan 2nd at 7pm. It's relatively short for an opera and Mozart is always fabulous. I've never seen this production but my season booklet states it is sung in English and they promote it as the "family" holiday version [likely why it's sung in English].

Good choice!

Do also check what Roundabout Theater is producing - always top notch (roundabouttheater.org). Instead of the Rock Center Christmas Show, go see Holiday Inn, yes the one based on the Bing Crosby/Fred Astaire/Marjorie Reynolds movie. Unsold seats are offered at TKTS. But the quintessential NYC Christmas treat is the NYC Ballet's production of George Balanchine's The Nutcracker. These tickets are NEVER at the TKTS booth as they invariably sell out and I have never seen a discount for them. Another good musical to see is Something Rotten (see how many references to other B'way shows you can catch), which will run through January 1, 2017. OMG, there is just sooo much to see...!

Diane

Roundabout is great! We've had a subscription with them for ages. It's funny, I think the two shows you mentioned are similar in appeal. No Great Message or Deep Meaning, just a lot of fun and plenty of music. I liked Something Rotten so much I saw it a second time. I have to admit it's a bit thin on second viewing, and I already knew where the jokes were coming from, but I still enjoyed it. And yes, listening for the sly references to other shows is fun. I have the Sirius Broadway channel on in my car, and when that big musical number comes on, I shout out the plays as I hear them. "Annie!" "Chorus Line" etc.

Unfortunately for Maple_Girl, most theaters are dark on Mondays. I have to say, Magic Flute at the Met sounds like a good idea. Definitely not an intimidating opera. And the accoustics at the Met are phenomenal. A HUGE space and they don't need amplification.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Be careful with Roundabout. Saw Cherry Orchard yesterday, it's tire fire level bad. The are very hot or miss, last season they did better than normal.

Of course, one of the reasons non-profits like Roundabout exist is to take chances. With non-commercial offerings and non-traditional presentations, the ability to fail is essential to the possibility to become a smash where it would not have not been otherwise possible.

As with any other producing organization (profit or non) show per show, you need to judge each production on its merits.

Personally, my biggest complaint about Roundabout is that once they have your phone number and email, they're relentless in their sales pitches for subscriptions (regardless of your location).

FINALLY - If we want to discusss Roundabout or any more B'way-centric details, let's go to an appropriate forum. And keep this thread to more specifc help for cruisers looking for NY show assistance.

Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

One more thing, as more productions open (a number of shows haven't started performances, let alone New Year's week schedules) there may be changes as shows open and adjust to the holiday. (I assume that most shows within 2 blocks of Times Square won't even bother with a matinee, let alone an evening performance on Sat 12/31).

To save you from scrolling back, a handy link to see what things are scheduled in NY on a given date...

http://www.newyorkcitytheatre.com/common/monthly_events.php?year=2017&month=1&category=Musical

Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Thanks everyone!! Something Rotten and School of Rock are definitely on my list. The Magic Flute would be lovely! Funny that someone should mention The Mousetrap. I was just talking about that play today.

Random question: Does anyone know how I could see if anyone in London is performing one of the plays based on Terry Pratchett's books?

One more thing, as more productions open (a number of shows haven't started performances, let alone New Year's week schedules) there may be changes as shows open and adjust to the holiday. (I assume that most shows within 2 blocks of Times Square won't even bother with a matinee, let alone an evening performance on Sat 12/31).

To save you from scrolling back, a handy link to see what things are scheduled in NY on a given date...

http://www.newyorkcitytheatre.com/common/monthly_events.php?year=2017&month=1&category=Musical

Mark

Each play makes its own changes for a holiday. If New Years Eve is a regular matinee day (Wed, Sat, Sun), some will do do the matinee. We've been to a Sunday mat on New Year's Eve By the time we got out of the theater, a lot of the streets near theaters were being closed off as people were put into their pens. We just headed for home! (By the time a mat gets out, the Times Square pens are full and they're putting people on side streets, so don't expect to go to a play and then go to Times Square).

I wouldn't expect many to do evening performances. With New Year's Eve being a Saturday, that's an evening (and possibly and afternoon) off, so they may schedule a performance on the Monday.

Thanks everyone!! Something Rotten and School of Rock are definitely on my list. The Magic Flute would be lovely! Funny that someone should mention The Mousetrap. I was just talking about that play today.

Random question: Does anyone know how I could see if anyone in London is performing one of the plays based on Terry Pratchett's books?

Unfortunately, Something Rotten closes Jan. 1! :-(

Diane