Westerdam, America's Test Kitchen

niceguyneastbay

Just finished a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Westerdam, and the America's Test Kitchen presentations were all very simple- chocolate pots one day, choosing salmon and poaching it another day- a couple of other demos that I don't recall.

The "hands on" presentations were invitation only, and those invitations were sent to the 5 star mariners for "first choice". Very few spots were available, and we were told at the initial presentation that they were all snapped up by the 5 stars- that was extremely disappointing.

I rather felt like the hype exceeded the results. If you want to attend the "hands on", I'd recommend contacting HAL early, and see if you can get on the list.

"Chili Peppers" and "Salads" were the other two presentations. Each presentation was approximately an hour long on the sea days. My DW went to three of the presentations and found the presenter to be informative and entertaining.

We had inquired about the classes upon embarking at the Front Office as we had done for the old Culinary Arts classes. But were told that the schedule hadn't been set. The next morning, DW asked one of the concierge about the classes and was placed on the wait list. She never attended a class due to the classes being full - but received a nice little packet (including an apron!) with an apology for not being accommodated towards the end of the cruise.

Edited by Heartgrove

"Chili Peppers" and "Salads" were the other two presentations. Each presentation was approximately an hour long on the sea days. My DW went to three of the presentations and found the presenter to be informative and entertaining.

We had inquired about the classes upon embarking at the Front Office as we had done for the old Culinary Arts classes. But were told that the schedule hadn't been set. The next morning, DW asked one of the concierge about the classes and was placed on the wait list. She never attended a class due to the classes being full - but received a nice little packet (including an apron!) with an apology for not being accommodated towards the end of the cruise.

Are you a 5 star and should have had a free class?

Are you a 5 star and should have had a free class?

No, we are not yet but working towards it. :) Hopefully as it rolls out there will be an opportunity on our next cruise.

Two separate Mariner lunches were held during the cruise and it was mentioned that 1,500 Mariners were on board. I'm sure that there were others that were disappointed.

No, we are not yet but working towards it. :) Hopefully as it rolls out there will be an opportunity on our next cruise.

Two separate Mariner lunches were held during the cruise and it was mentioned that 1,500 Mariners were on board. I'm sure that there were others that were disappointed.

Very interesting, I'm sure you are exactly correct about the reason why.

We were on the Westerdam last week. Rather than making multiple trips to the front day on the day of boarding to sign up for the classes I would recommend that you call the front desk as soon as you get to your room. I wasn't fast enough and we were put on the waiting list. There were two of us and only one open vacancy so we didn't go. A few days later two aprons, the recipes and a letter of apology were delivered to our room. The classes are limited to a few people with 5 star mariners given first choice. These classes do not appear in the daily on location. The larger demonstrations are listed however and seem to be popular. We went to the chocolate one.

Marcia