Did you use Royal IQ and are now home?

montlee

Im planning on using Royal IQ on the Harmony for 3 of us to keep in touch via texting . I know it's 8.95 per phone - no problem. But I'm concerned when we get home, we'll have huge phone bills for roaming.

Has anyone had experience either way on this? Does your provider make a difference?

Im planning on using Royal IQ on the Harmony for 3 of us to keep in touch via texting . I know it's 8.95 per phone - no problem. But I'm concerned when we get home, we'll have huge phone bills for roaming.

Has anyone had experience either way on this? Does your provider make a difference?

Havent used it yet but I'm planning on the same as you. I've been following treads discussing Royal IQ and from what I understand, the Royal IQ texting feature uses WiFi and not cell communication. So you can put your device in Airplane mode, then turn WiFi back on, and you should be good to go. This will also increase battery life.

I had a 4 device Internet package already purchased, since about 6 months ago just so our family of 4 could communicate on board, but I have since canceled it and purchased a single internet package, just so we can keep in touch with folks back home and I will put my hopes in the Royal IQ app working out for us on board.

dp

Edited by dpostman

Just remember that the RoyalIQ app will only let you text those on the same cruise who are also using the RoyalIQ app and have paid the $7.95.

I understood the advantage to Royal IQ was you do not need wifi. Yes or no? I am not interested in wifi, only texting my family on board (who will also have IQ).

You do not need an internet package to use RoyalIQ.

I understood the advantage to Royal IQ was you do not need wifi. Yes or no? I am not interested in wifi, only texting my family on board (who will also have IQ).

As others have said, there will be no need to make any additional internet purchases. All you will have to pay is the $7.95 per phone that you want to be able to contact one another on.

Make sure to put your phone in airplane mode and then turn on your phone's WIFI. It will then only connect to Royal's WIFI so that you can text and even call other phones that paid for the feature... or cabin phones! So no roaming for it to rack up a bill. =)

We used it on Anthem and it was super convenient and no surprise charges when we returned home!

• 2 months later...
Has anyone done this recently? We tried to do it over a year ago and it was terrible. I am hoping it is better than it was.

Also, many have talked about the texting but how was the calling?

Recent reports are that both the texting feature and calling work fine.

• 2 weeks later...
We were hoping to use the text/call feature on our Anthem cruise next month to communicate with our 15yo son. Does the app actually need to be left open to receive texts & Calls?

Yes, that is what has been reported.