Airport for Basel?

lladage

I apologize of this has been posted a number of times, but I couldn't find an answer using the search function.

Can anyone tell me which airport Viking uses when they arrange flights for river cruises that start in Basel? We want to spend a few days pre-cruise in Lucerne and are trying to determine whether or not it makes sense to pay for air deviation. Thanks.

Lynn

Basel has an airport which is about 10 mins from the town border. The airports actually sits on the boarder of Switzerland and France.

Do not think you can get a direct flight to Basel direct from the US. Zurich would be the best airport to fly to from the US.

If you are arranging your own transfers, to be honest, Switzerland has some of the best and most efficient railways in the world if you do not have too much luggage. Approx Trains times:

Zurich to Basel - 1 hour

Zurich to Lucerne - 50 mins

Lucerne to Basel - 1 hour

There are good roads if you wish to hire a rental car and drive time would be marginal longer. Rail or car, you get to take in the wonderful Swiss views

We will embark AMA Prima in Basel but we are flying in two days earlier into Zurich.

We plan to take the train to Lucerne and spend two nights there on our own.

On embarkation day we still have to figure out how best to go from Lucerne to Basel and then the ship. But I think we can ask our hotelier for advise.

Enjoy your cruise (and your pre-cruise stay in Lucerne).

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

We will embark AMA Prima in Basel but we are flying in two days earlier into Zurich.

We plan to take the train to Lucerne and spend two nights there on our own.

On embarkation day we still have to figure out how best to go from Lucerne to Basel and then the ship. But I think we can ask our hotelier for advise.

Enjoy your cruise (and your pre-cruise stay in Lucerne).

We were in Switzerland last year, doing a land tour, before going to Basel on a river cruise. Between the two tours we spent 3 days in Lucerne. Very easy to catch a train from Lucerne to Basel. Once in Basel easy to catch a taxi to the ship. Just be sure to know where your ship will be docking. There are three different docking locations, which are relatively far apart (miles) and not all on the same side of the river.

If you want to leave your luggage and walk around down town before going to the ship, there is a luggage holding facility down stairs in the train station. There are lockers, as well as a manned desk where you can drop off your bags. I think the cost is 10 francs per piece. The lockers are a bit cheaper (9 francs large, 7 frances mid, 6 francs small). On our cruise the ship had shuttles back to down town in the afternoon after you boarded.

One note of caution. While Switzerland is very safe, there is some theft and pick pocketing around train stations. Especially where there are connections to other countries. Just like any other time when traveling watch your luggage when in the station, and be aware. While we were waiting for our train, noticed one family searching for a suitcase that vanished.

Edited by RDC1

Dear lladage,

We responded to your question on another thread but, in effort to share this information with other members of the Cruise Critic community, we are happy to take a moment to answer your inquiry here as well.

For cruises beginning or ending in Basel, Switzerland, Viking schedules guests in and out of EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Frieburg (BSL).

lladage, we hope you find our response helpful and look forward to welcoming you aboard next November!

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

I apologize of this has been posted a number of times, but I couldn't find an answer using the search function.

Can anyone tell me which airport Viking uses when they arrange flights for river cruises that start in Basel? We want to spend a few days pre-cruise in Lucerne and are trying to determine whether or not it makes sense to pay for air deviation. Thanks.

Lynn

We were in Switzerland last year, doing a land tour, before going to Basel on a river cruise. Between the two tours we spent 3 days in Lucerne. Very easy to catch a train from Lucerne to Basel. Once in Basel easy to catch a taxi to the ship. Just be sure to know where your ship will be docking. There are three different docking locations, which are relatively far apart (miles) and not all on the same side of the river.

If you want to leave your luggage and walk around down town before going to the ship, there is a luggage holding facility down stairs in the train station. There are lockers, as well as a manned desk where you can drop off your bags. I think the cost is 10 francs per piece. The lockers are a bit cheaper (9 francs large, 7 frances mid, 6 francs small). On our cruise the ship had shuttles back to down town in the afternoon after you boarded.

One note of caution. While Switzerland is very safe, there is some theft and pick pocketing around train stations. Especially where there are connections to other countries. Just like any other time when traveling watch your luggage when in the station, and be aware. While we were waiting for our train, noticed one family searching for a suitcase that vanished.

Thank you for your valuable advise. Our ship docks at St. Johannns Park so we will take a taxi there once arrived at Basel train station, as you said.

We will time our arrival around noon so we can check in our baggages with AMA and hopefully have our first hot soup 😊. I believe AMA also offer a guided tour later during the day.

Really appreciate your insight re safety precaution at the stations. Thank you again.