Been a diver for a while/no logbook

Mikiejag

Going to the Eastern Carr and wanted to go on a two tank dive, but have not ever kept a log book. Done mostly river dives, beach dives, and gone with friends so never really bothered to keep one.

Do they really check the book or just the Dive cards?

I have open water/advanced open water even help teach discover scuba classes...but before I book wanted to bounce it out here.

Thanks

first certified in 1973

have never been asked for log book anyplace in the Carib or on a cruise excursion and I've hit more islands than most including Cayman (all 3), Cozumel, Cuba, Bermuda, Bonaire, Curacao, Aruba, Barbados, Saba, St Kitts, St Martin (both sides), St Thomas, Tortola, bunch of places thru the Bahamas Nassau Freeport Green Turtle Cay Bimini, Dom Rep, Dominica, Grenada, Roatan, thru the Keys {nice when your office is a ship that goes to these places!}

asked when last dive was yes, & sometimes how many dives, but never to "prove it"

maybe seeing my very well worn gear said something!

if it has been 12 months, a refresher is in order.

Edited by Capt_BJ

It depends, some do and some don't. Most of our dives they have wanted to see the log book to verify that we have dived within the last 12 months.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

My experience: I've dove 5 times in 5 years after my certification dives, all on cruises in the Caribbean, 2 private dive companies and 3 through Royal's excursions. I've never been asked for a log book and i don't bring it. I'm asked for my PADI card and that is it. I do keep my book at home and write in it when I get home. Without it, I'd never remember what weight I used.

I too have kept a simple log since the beginning ...

little more than 2 lines per dive in a simple journal .... date/time, depth, special notes like boat/drift/night/wreck, operator if I used one with comments of good/bad, I might record the specific site if I think I might want to go back otherwize it is general like "Cayman 7 mile", or Key Largo Molasses, most important is gear notes like "farmer johns, ALU 100, 9 lbs"

I often carry it on long dive trips so I can make my notes the same day, but if a day trip, it stays home.

dd uses an APP on her iPAD that can download from her dive computer!

• 2 weeks later...

I have never been asked to see a log book, with computers nowadays, I think log books are one of those antiquated things that the "old" guys might still use.

Just be sure to have your C-card; they do ask to see that.

On a side note (we use our own dive gear) that probably helps to lend some credibility in our abilities.

Edited by adk0425

Going to the Eastern Carr and wanted to go on a two tank dive, but have not ever kept a log book. Done mostly river dives, beach dives, and gone with friends so never really bothered to keep one.

Do they really check the book or just the Dive cards?

I have open water/advanced open water even help teach discover scuba classes...but before I book wanted to bounce it out here.

Thanks

My experience since being certified in 2012 was, the only asked to see my PADI card @ Blue Island Divers in ST Thomas in 2013, Dan Foster's in Grand Caymen in 2014 and Stuart Cove's in Nassua in 2015.

...I think log books are one of those antiquated things that the "old" guys might still use...

Yep, that would be me, gonna be 44 next year. 20 years military and it has aged me quite a bit.

I already have my cards set aside and ready to roll.

We've had to show our log books twice in the last 13 months. In Nassau ( not Stuart's Cove) and St Kitts. Two years ago we had to have them in Grenada. All three operators made it very clear in their correspondence and on their confirmations. Other than those, our C card has been fine. Note: we also take all of our own dive gear.

We've had to show our log books twice in the last 13 months. In Nassau ( not Stuart's Cove) and St Kitts. Two years ago we had to have them in Grenada. All three operators made it very clear in their correspondence and on their confirmations. Other than those, our C card has been fine. Note: we also take all of our own dive gear.

Good to know.