Fresh off the Breakaway 11/20 - 11/27

lovedestiny

I'll post a full/detailed review at a later time. This was my 2nd time on the Breakaway, first time to Bahamas (other trip was to Bermuda last year September). Overall it wasn't the greatest cruise, compared to my 1st time --but we made the most of it. Traveling in November where it was cold caused there to be a lull in activities until we were very close to Florida where the temperatures then increased and it was packed outside in the pool/lounge areas/hot tubs (which was to be expected).

I thought Dan Dan (Cruise Director) was very good compared to the other Cruise Director I had last time (Silas(?)). We also had captain Hakan S. who we had last year, he's cool too. The entertainment on the boat is a little dry, there isn't too much variation, its pretty much watching singing, dancing, or trivia. Last time they had movies throughout the day in all areas this year it was only one movie at almost midnight, when we were already tired. I went to Cirque Dreams and it was very entertaining but the set menu is a little unattractive IF you aren't interested in what they're serving.

We were "luckily" the first set to go to Great Stirrup Cay after it was closed for quite some time. I was feeling worried about it not being open but the tendering process alone and the fact that it rained made me feel like we could have skipped it and did overnight in Nassau. Just a preview of the tender process we picked 11:30 for our time and didn't get on a boat until almost 1:00 pm due to.. who knows. The seas were very rough and water even came into the boat on the way back (so I assume that played a role) but they didn't even check if people were in the right "reserved" tendering group. After the rain the water was cold and the sun tried its best to come out. We (and most other passengers) ended up leaving by 3pm to avoid the long line back, and of course still waited on a long line. On the way back it was even worse as far as waves and 1 or 2 kids on our boat were crying so if you have children the process may scare them.

We did Orlando Eye as our Florida Excursion only b/c the 4 hours time limit wouldn't allow you to do much else ( I really wanted to go to Disney but it didn't make sense). I booked tix for Atlantis Aquaventure online ($$ saver when you do it through them vs the company and take a cab). They warn in the Freestyle Daily about safety (in 2 places on the front cover :eek:) but the cab process seemed very safe, there was a dispatcher and security personnel in the area where the cabs were going. The drivers were liscned and had ID around their necks. Didnt take too long to get out to Atlantis or back on the boat. There were also 2 other boats in port and plenty people walking to the cabs there were about 6 people besides us in the cab.

If you have general questions I'll try to answer.

Thank you for the review! I suppose it makes me 'feel better' that we missed GSC given the circumstances you describe... the grass is always greener, ha. (we were on Breakaway 11/6).

I agree about the taxi process in Nassau feeling quite safe on the way out of the ship .... but returning I felt it was a little sketchy. DH and I, along with 3 other women, shared a cab back from Atlantis to the ship around 10pm - purposely not too late at night. The driver dropped us off about 100 yards from the gate... it was not clear why. We all felt strange about it, and surveyed the area, remaining very alert and walking together. Nothing happened. DH is a big guy with a loud voice, maybe that helped ;) Interestingly we hadn't even seen the notices on the dailies, but were aware of the general lack of safety from other travels.

And yes they were really trivia happy, weren't they!

Edited by kmurph22

I was on the BA on the cruise right before you (13th to the 20th), so we missed GSC. I had thought they had a pier there, but maybe is wasn't ready. Hopefully they will add that if they haven't.

I agree on the activities--every daily was loaded, but there just wasn't a lot for me that I enjoyed. And the swag you won from trivia was poor--on Royal Caribbean, my wife and I won a trivia game and got 2 bags filled with RC swag....FYI in case anyone from NCL reads these

lovedestiny we will be on in 2 weeks and it stinks to read what i did about GSC. do you know what is the earliest tender time? what did you do on GSC. i'm trying to read as much as i can about it but seems like the lagoon and 30 for a clamshell will be the most peaceful option. was there food at the lagoon , if you went?

you said it was cold until florida and i expected that in December, but is the pool/slide water heated?

lovedestiny we will be on in 2 weeks and it stinks to read what i did about GSC. do you know what is the earliest tender time? what did you do on GSC. i'm trying to read as much as i can about it but seems like the lagoon and 30 for a clamshell will be the most peaceful option. was there food at the lagoon , if you went?

you said it was cold until florida and i expected that in December, but is the pool/slide water heated?

The tendering process can be booked on your stateroom TV or on those screens located near the elevator (and a few other places). (I believe if you are a certain Latitudes ranking or Haven status you can leave any time). The earliest time to leave was 10 AM. We didn't go as far as the lagoon, actually. Literally a few minutes after getting there, using the bathroom and starting to walk around it started raining. We took shelter in a clamshell and someone who was leaving with his wife was kind enough to offer it to us by giving us his "ticket" for it. The food was in one location (as far as I saw) and it was a very large area, not too far from where the clamshells were.

Hey..do you think you can describe when the weather started to improve on the way there and get colder on the way back? When was the pool open? Not until Tuesday?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

The weather improved by Tuesday morning it wasn't super hot but definitely warm enough to be at the pool. And going back by mid-Saturday it was cold, meaning no pool. The pool was open from day 1 but no one was in there b/c it was too cold.

*sorry the pool/water slide were not heated.

The weather improved by Tuesday morning it wasn't super hot but definitely warm enough to be at the pool. And going back by mid-Saturday it was cold, meaning no pool. The pool was open from day 1 but no one was in there b/c it was too cold.

Thanks..was it warm enough Friday on the way back to go in the pool?

Thanks..was it warm enough Friday on the way back to go in the pool?

We were on this cruise. Friday was a great weather day - barely any clouds (until around sunset) and in the 70s with little wind. The outside decks were packed on this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Anthony&David

The rough tendering sounds like a good way for your kids to learn about what our brave veterans went through during the landing at Normandy.

I guess you don't realize what happened at Normandy if you have the nerve to compare tendering to gsc with landing at Normandy

For some reason the tears and nausea the troops felt when tendering to Normandy seems to be a wee bit different than a kid crying on a cruise ship tender bringing them back to a mega ship with amenities

You could be 80 years old and trying to be funny for all I know

Or

You could be a millennial who doesn't understand any history that's over a week old

I really hope your post was a lame attempt at humor and that you have indeed watched films such as saving private Ryan and really do understand what happened at Normandy.

Edited by luvtheships

I was on the BA on the cruise right before you (13th to the 20th), so we missed GSC. I had thought they had a pier there, but maybe is wasn't ready. Hopefully they will add that if they haven't.

I agree on the activities--every daily was loaded, but there just wasn't a lot for me that I enjoyed. And the swag you won from trivia was poor--on Royal Caribbean, my wife and I won a trivia game and got 2 bags filled with RC swag....FYI in case anyone from NCL reads these

There are no plans to add a dock, it's probably not even possible.

I guess you don't realize what happened at Normandy if you have the nerve to compare tendering to gsc with landing at Normandy

For some reason the tears and nausea the troops felt when tendering to Normandy seems to be a wee bit different than a kid crying on a cruise ship tender bringing them back to a mega ship with amenities

You could be 80 years old and trying to be funny for all I know

Or

You could be a millennial who doesn't understand any history that's over a week old

I really hope your post was a lame attempt at humor and that you have indeed watched films such as saving private Ryan and really do understand what happened at Normandy.

you sound fun

We were also on this cruise. We had the 10:00 tender time and got in the line at 9:45. They shuffled everyone into the theater and then dismissed by rows with no regard to tender reservation. They did allow excursions to board first. We made it to the island at about 11:30 (with the 10:00 tender reservation and getting in line at 9:45). Very disappointing.

We also had two little kids with us and made the mistake of sitting on the bottom exposed side/front level on the tender return. We got literally drenched, basically head to toe. It was like being in the first row of the Shamu show at Sea World LOL. our 5yo DD was scared and crying, clinging to Daddy the whole time (and we to her!) But our 7yo DS kept punching his hand in the air gleefully screaming "BEST RIDE EVER!!!" every time we'd hit a wave. He made many people laugh but it was nerve-wracking for the less brave among us ;). When we got to Nassau he was really disappointed it wasn't a tender port. The rest of us were all pretty grateful ;).

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

sounds like if you cannot get a good seat, you should wait for next tender. i assume up top is best

The problem with being up top on this particular time was that it was raining, so the people on top got wet too! The best place to sit would be in the bottom level, middle seats as far to the rear as possible.