Caribbean Princess (5-15) NOT like the Grand!

sandymc47

We returned from our cruise on the CP, yesterday. We cruised 4 times on the GP, and believe me, there IS a difference . Those of us who loved the huge back deck...well it is much smaller, and only ONE hot tub on the top deck. The rest of the deck is for kids. The middle back deck, was closed off most of the cruise, due to wind.(The pingpong tables were here, as well as the teen/kids club). The Horizon Byffett was shortened, and the Cariebe Cafe was made, using this space, and part of the space that WAS the back deck. The Cariebe cafe was open 4-6am for continental breakfast.again for buffett type breakfast at around 8am-10am, and for lunch about 12-1,and for dinner from 6:30 till 11, and finally from 11pm till 4am for a bristoll. I never used it this late, but they did serve steaks to order. We used it EVERY night for dinner, and was pretty satisfied with the selection. ONE night I asked them for a steak, (which they sent to the dining room to get)and the last night(CREO) I ate very little. I saw lots of shorts in this dining area, at all times, even fromal night. So if you are like us, and prefer to go casual, go there!....The Horizon CT. Buffett was open for breakfast at 6:30 am till 11:30, when it then switched over to lunch, till 4:30. There was food available 24/7, and I must say it was really good, for the most part. EXCELLENT fried chicken mid cruise, and the hot deserts were not to be missed. Princess has improved their deserts 500%!!! Or maybe the CP has a better pastery chef then the GP..Enough about food, Im starving!!......The movies undere the stars were really good, except, it completely closes off that particular pool area, at 5:30 every day. A lot of people are just getting into a great time swimming, and they are asked to get out, or go to the other pool. After showing the films (2 different ones per cruise) 2 times a night, it would be better to forget the concerts they show on the other nihts, and leave the pool open. I personally miss the quiet area, on the GP, with the soft music, and enclosed pool. The movies draw a good croud the first show, but the second is few takers. Besides, the movies are shown on TV , the next night after shown on the deck....Also the pools are much smaller then the ones on the Grand. I so loved the great POOLS, and have told everyone I know about how big they are. Well, no-more,! They needed the room for more ROOMS.Thus, with another deck added, and these rooms, this ship was MUCH more crowded then any of the 4 trips on the Grand....Club Fusion was a beautiful new addition to this ship, but so (STUPID?). They had seats turned backwards, and every direction, with a lot of wasted space. The only way to see what was on stage was thru the monitors places all over the room. It really took away from the shows, and the place was unbearably crowded...There was NO PLACE where you could walk down the upper (SUN)deck without going up or down stairs...All in all I personall liked the Grand Better. But the food was better on this ship. Any questions?

sandymc

I forgot to add, the cruise director was Paul,(how soon we forget names when we reach a certain age) with deputy James Lay. an OK pair, but cant compair to Graham Seymore, who should be on the CP, this week. He is VERY funny. The cruise staff was OK< but one in particular stands out..Clair..she went out of her way to be nice.

sandymc

Well, I was on the Star back in October, will be on the Grand in 2 weeks, so I booked the Caribbean for November. Even with the changes, it should be fun!

Here are a few differing opinions.

We just got off the CP on 5/29/04.

We ate at the Caribe Cafe 3 times and saw no one there in shorts.

There were at least 4 pools onboard and closing one pool at 5:30 PM to prepare for the night's movie was not a big deal. I wouldn't want noisey people splashing in the pool while I was trying to watch a movie.

The nights we went, there were almost no empty chairs at the movies, even the late movies. It was windy in some seating areas but much calmer in others. Select your seat carefully. Movies Under The Stars will be a fond memory that we will always treasure.

We never felt that the pools were over crowded. Perhaps they're larger on the Grand but they're certainly adequate on the CP.

We were worried that the addition of 500 passengers (NOT 500 cabins) would make the ship feel over crowded. It was not true in any way. In fact we often wondered where everyone was hiding.

I guess everyone has their own perspective. I agree that the food was great. But while you were munching on the "EXCELLENT fried chicken"

I was chowing down 4 different nights on LOBSTER and KING CRAB LEGS, and also enjoyed many scallops, steamed clams and oysters au gratin.

Mmmmmmmmm!!! Delicious!!!

Ken

Crazsea,

From one of my other posts:

My own favorite memory...lobster 4 nights.

How, you ask?

Saturday - Maine lobster claws in the Caribe Cafe from 5:30 pm to 11:00 pm (the "all-cooked and chilled" seafood buffet also featured already split King crab legs, and shrimp)

Sunday - Split and grilled whole Florida lobster in the Caribe Cafe

Monday - Sabatini's (by reservation) where one of the choices for the main entree was broiled Maine lobster tails (two)

Thursday - We missed formal night where a double lobster tail dinner is traditionally offered (stayed in the hot tub too long) and had to eat at Caribe Cafe where they again had the split and grilled Florida lobster

I do love lobster, oh yes I do.

Ken

We were on the Caribbean May 8-15 and I wasn't disturbed by any of the changes except for Club Fusion. I personally don't care for the way it is set up and will warn you that with few exceptions, the only way you can see the stage is by watching the various TV screens throughout the room. I didn't let it ruin my cruise. I'm surprised to hear you say the pools were smaller because I sure didn't notice. I personally loved the extra pool chairs on the Caribbean Princess. We never had to walk and walk on sea days looking for a chair as there are more available on this ship and they are easily found.

I too enjoyed the Grand very much, but so far have nothing to compare it too. That will change one of these days tho. As far as the adult pool on the Grand, very few took advantage as the water was really cold, brrrrrr.

It was fun watching all the grimacing when folks would get in. icon_eek.gif By the end of the week, it was almost warm enough. icon_rolleyes.gif

Now, if they just could get some good coffee. icon_frown.gif

Grand Princess 4/4/04

I guess I'll ad our views.

We sailed on 5/22 and other than pillows that were kind of hard, and that the breakfast room service menu was only for a "continental breakfast", there wasn't anything we didn't like. Room service always came pretty close to being on time and our room steward was very sweet.

The staff was always pleasant and helpful. We ate most of our dinner meals at Cafe Carib which we enjoyed..we liked that they had the tables set with linen and it didn't feel like a regular buffet place.

Enjoyed the pool area and although we didn't see any movies, we enjoyed the videos they showed during the day.

Deputy cruise director James was very friendly and always made it a point to come over and say good evening when he saw us. We never saw Paul except introducing the shows.

We usually sail Royal Caribbean but would go on Princess again without a hesitation.

Laraine & Bob

Caribbean Princess 5/22/04

Majesty & Enchantment 12/03

Explorer of the Seas 08/30/03

Navigator of the Seas 01/03

Princess Grand 07/02

Explorer of the Seas 07/01

Archived