Just off Fantasy? ER evac

gamecockinnc

why did the US Coast Guard provide FREE medical transport to a person on a Bahamian Island ... "owned" by one of the richest companies in the world?

Think about this when you prepare your tax return this year ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

That was my understanding too, Barb....that most of the time in the Bahamas and Caribbean, the USCG does medical evacuation at no charge. In no case would it have been Disney's cost--had there been a private transport, the bill would have gone to the guest and we would hope they had travel insurance!

The USCG is providing aid to the US citizen.

We even do emergency transportation for the US citizens near Bermuda. Except the helos can't make it back to the USA because of the head wind. So the crew is forced to stay in Bermuda until there is a military vessel that they can refuel on to make is back state side.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

but WHY??????

I did these missions and ask WHY

Disney can certainly afford their own helo to do these missions

why does the US tax payer provide free medivac from a Bahamian Island for a BIG company?????

I understand this WAY better than Art ... I was a cutter CO and launched these missions ....

Is this the way you want your tax dollars spent???????

Why doesn't Disney buy a helo and keep it on the island for these FREQUENT situations rather than sucking off our tax dollars ......

HEY DON ... CUT THIS OFF .... waste waste waste

Edited by Capt_BJ

but WHY??????

I did these missions and ask WHY

Disney can certainly afford their own helo to do these missions

why does the US tax payer provide free medivac from a Bahamian Island for a BIG company?????

I understand this WAY better than Art ... I was a cutter CO and launched these missions ....

Is this the way you want your tax dollars spent???????

Why doesn't Disney buy a helo and keep it on the island for these FREQUENT situations rather than sucking off our tax dollars ......

HEY DON ... CUT THIS OFF .... waste waste waste

If I understand you correctly, you are advocating cutting off life saving services to corporations that can and do also pay taxes, if they are large enough to be able to afford their own private medical life saving services?

Do you also advocate that each cruise ship has a helo, and crew, to evacuate a Guest because they can afford it?

They could "afford" the loss of deck space to provide a helo launching pad, they could afford the loss of Staterooms to provide accommodation to trained helo crew?

I personally think that each and every US citizen that pays into the government, also pays for the USCG to be available to reach them (within reason) and provide medical extraction. Apparently, the government also agree and provide this service.

I could see more reasoning in your argument if you said that DCL had to pay the USCG for medical extractions from CC.

Your rant above seems very odd to me however.

ex techie

I guess I don't understand what you are saying, Captain BJ. Are you advocating that the Coast Guard should do evacuations at sea but Disney should maintain a helicopter and crew at CC? Or that DCL should be responsible for all evacuations from their ships and should maintain equipment and crew on each ship at all times?

In either case, I doubt that this is cost effective. I was surprised to learn (years ago) that Coast Guard evacuations are at no charge to the individual. While it would probably increase the cost of travel insurance, I could certainly understand if there was a charge for a medical evacuation. However, good luck on collecting that from individuals who chose to not purchase the insurance...and of course the billing and collection issues would add another layer of cost to the current program.

Until recently we had 3 local hospitals with helo teams for medical transfers...so wasteful. Reality, from one hospital to another, there had to be a drive time of 3 1/2 hours to make the flight transfer faster than a ground ambulance (in cases where there was a ground ambulance located at or near the referring hospital), but people wanted to call the air system because it was more impressive. There were cases of highway accidents, particularly when the accident blocked the roads, where the air evac could save time and lives, but often in those situations there would be more than one victim and more than one helo was needed. One could argue that a system run by the state and more centrally located within the state would have been more cost effective. I have no idea how many transport teams are maintained by hospitals in the other large city in the state. Bottom line--we truly are not big enough to justify the cost and yet it happens....?because it is "cool?"

Edited by moki'smommy