Car Seats?

rstackjd

Our son and daughter-in-law and granddaughter will be joining us on the Norwegian Escape in February. This is their first cruise. Our granddaughter will be 22 months at the time of the cruise. She very mobile but very small for her age.

The discussion the other day turned to car seats. They won't need one on the flights - she will fly on mom and dad's laps. I said I saw no reason to lug a car seat around for the ground transport to and from the ship (shuttle buses) or in the ports (St. Thomas, Tortola, Nassau). The kids are not surprisingly shocked at my avant garde and cavalier attitude toward my granddaughter's safety.

I'm of the opinion that (a) most shore ex. tranport won't have the ability (or room) to anchor a car seat, and if not properly anchored the seat is more of a danger than help, and (b) do they really want to lug a car seat around on shore.

does anyone actually take a car seat on the cruise for Shore Ex. purposes?

Thanks

Bob

If you search this forum you will get a lot of different answers. We just finished an 8 day cruise with my 4 and 2 year old kiddos (26 months). I brought an Ergo baby carrier but never used it. We rode in a few taxis in Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. I kept my daughter on my lap chest to chest. I was thankful we chose not to lug around a car seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My kids are older now, but we did take and use car seats. We planned excursions to avoid traveling in taxis, but on the very few occasions when we did, we used them.

Except one time in Bermuda, my parents convinced us to take a taxi back to the ship rather than the bus we arrived on. Our driver took a corner too fast and my four year old was tossed to the floor like a sack of potatoes. No injuries, but the thought of it still horrifies me six years later.

It all depends on what transportation you plan to use.

We sailed with DD at 2, 3 & 4. We never took a car seat onboard. We drove to the port (live in FL), but left the car seat in the car.

As far as port transfers go...motor coaches will not allow for a car seat (most cruiseline transfers are motor coaches). Some other shuttles may of may not accommodate car seats.

In some ports we walked around the port area or town, in one port we took a water taxi and in other ports we stayed onboard and took advantage of the empty ship. Had we wanted to do an excursion in any of the ports we probably would have used a ship excursion (more often shuttles/buses).

Had we planned to travel by taxi we might have considered taking the car seat, but we never felt like we missed anything by just doing what we did.

Now we take a bubblebum booster with us when we travel (inflatable & fits in a backpack), but it wouldn't work for your granddaughter until she's older.

I have not, but I have taken it to use on the plane (much safer than lap child) and the cab between airport, hotel and ship. We stuck to excursions that were either walking or used a bus or boat for transportation so car seat was not needed. I would not put my child in a cab without a car seat no matter where we were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have cruised every year with our now 4.5 yr-o DS since he was born and now preparing to go again in Feb with him and our 1.5 yr-o DD.

The first year we brought the car seat when DS was a baby. Only used it on the way to the port, to the airport and on a van tour in Ochos Rios. We stored it in our cabin in the closet. The following year, we brought a lighter car seat which was only used to the port/airport. After that, we didn't bring the car seat and used airport shuttles, taxis that provided car seats or a car service that provided car seats.

In ports, we walked or took transit where car seats were not required.

There are probably thousands of posts about this topic in this forum.

If you don't want to take a car seat, stick to transportation that doesn't require one. You can always find a cab that will accommodate a car seat. It's the parents choice, but the laws of physics are not miraculously suspended because you are on holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

DS was 15 mo on his st cruise out of Puerto Rico and we did not take the car seat. The Taxi ride (in a 15 passenger van) was terrifying. I don't think I've ever held my son so tight, but we made it. We did tours and excursions in cars and vans at the ports with no car seat. In the car, he sat on my lap chest to chest. In the vans he usually napped laying down across the seat. I still shudder when I think of it, but no way was I lugging around a car seat.

His last cruise he was 5 and we didn't bring the car seat/booster either. We only did motor coach excursions. We'll have to bring the car seat/booster on the next cruise b/c we're flying in the day before and renting a car. I can assure you though it will stay in the luggage under the bed the whole time.

It's what your kids are comfortable with. Easy to travel with options have been mentioned.

We always bring car seats. The rules of physics do not change on vacation! That said, there are many times when you can't use them. The motor coaches, the open air taxis, etc. So many times we just planned our transportation either with the intention of using them or not. We have to bring them anyway as we usually add on some time before or after a cruise and rent a car. Thank goodness my kids are in boosters now! I might splurge and buy a couple of mifolds!

We are not bringing Our kids carseats that we use in the car (ages 2 and 4). We are bringing their travel "car seats" though. We have RiderSafe Travel vests for our girls. They act as a carseat, are tested like a carseat and are as safe as a carseat, but they fold into a bag. I am a safety freak so it eases my mind and then we are free to take cabs and do whatever we want and not be restricted to walking and buses. Might be something to look into depending on her weight. There is a minimum weight to use them.

PS they are a little expensive but they will last a long time. She will be able to use them for years for all forms of travel.

Edited by Jennilee17

DS was 15 mo on his st cruise out of Puerto Rico and we did not take the car seat. The Taxi ride (in a 15 passenger van) was terrifying. I don't think I've ever held my son so tight, but we made it. We did tours and excursions in cars and vans at the ports with no car seat. In the car, he sat on my lap chest to chest. In the vans he usually napped laying down across the seat. I still shudder when I think of it, but no way was I lugging around a car seat.

His last cruise he was 5 and we didn't bring the car seat/booster either. We only did motor coach excursions. We'll have to bring the car seat/booster on the next cruise b/c we're flying in the day before and renting a car. I can assure you though it will stay in the luggage under the bed the whole time.

It's what your kids are comfortable with. Easy to travel with options have been mentioned.

You might want to look into the bubble bum inflatable booster seat. We travel with that now & its great. It can fit flat in luggage (very little space) or roll up and fit in a backpack. It works well & is very convenient!