Ephesus Turkey?

Had not heard that stops to Kusadasi were cancelled. That makes me so very sad. The absolute highight of any trip we've ever taken was Turkey. My Grandson loves all the ruins and we used Ephesus Deluxe. We had a guide who had studied in the U.S. When he found out my Grandson's interest (he was 19 at the time), he was delighted to share all the rich history and they must have walked over every inch possible while we were there. When i got tired and wanted to return to the ship early, he found an air conditioned place for me to put my feet up, got me ice cold bottles of water and he and my Grandson set off to see some of the wonders. We visited the last known House of Mary too. When he dropped us off at the port, he must have thought that we got Turkish TV reception. he said we would no doubt hear bad things about how the Turkish people feel about Americans and not to believe it. He said the stations are govt run and the people of Turkey do not feel that way. We met some amazing, charming, loving people in Turkey and we will always cherish getting to visit this amazing place.

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed Ephesus each time we have visited. We much prefer a private tour with a gudie and driver that will get you there early-before the crowds show up. Four of us had a van, driver, and guide. The total cost was less than what the cruise line wanted for three of us on their excursion.

Turkey is one of our favourite places to visit. We would not hesitate to spend time on the coast. Stunning scenery along to Antalya or inland to Konya (Cappadocia). Long way from Syria and quite safe especially if you are not in a large group of tourists. It is a good time to go when others are staying home or going elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Was in Ephesus last June, but did not see it on the itinerary this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It almost seems like the Turks have some kind of death wish when it comes to attracting tourists from the West. We really like Turkey (and have been there quite a few times) but the recent election does make me fear for their future. That being said, we would have no problem visiting Kusadasi or Istanbul tomorrow!

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Kusadasi today with Silversea's Silver Wind and the misguided political commentary on this post is really frustrating. Kusadasi is safe and welcoming, and a very liberal part of Turkey (people in this area voted overwhelmingly against Erdogan in the last referendum), and it's only affected by the Syria situation in that tourists (understandably but misguidedly) worry that it's unsafe. It's such a shame cruise ships are pulling out of the area, because the archaeological sites are unmatched and the people are some of the most welcoming and knowledgeable I've met on cruises anywhere. Honestly, hearing people suggesting it's the fault of the Turkish people that tourism is suffering seems shortsighted and frankly a bit callous...

Anyway, politics aside, we had an amazing experience today with a local company, Meander Travel (http://www.meandertravel.com). We went for a bespoke private tour to Didyma and Ephesus (with the terraced houses) and it was fantastic. Even before arrival, Hasene was incredibly helpful and welcoming. She helped us design the tour we wanted and kept in good touch in the lead up to the trip. She also greeted us personally at the dock when we arrived. Our guide, Hakan, was an expert archaeologist who was exceptionally interesting and informative, and we learnt so much about not just the amazing sights we were visiting, but about Turkey as a country, which was fascinating. The day ran perfectly, the private van was lovely and cool, and the driver was friendly and efficient. The tour was one of the best tours we have ever been on, and we will be recommending Meander to everyone we know who is coming to Kusadasi. Sorry for the long post everyone - had a fab day with Meander today and wanted to post to spread the news and hopefully help these guys out.

To the OP and everyone else who's booked to go to Kusadasi, I hope you enjoy the opportunity to come and see this beautiful country and its amazing ancient sites.

Glad to hear the ships are still making visits to this fabulous destination. Most "political commentary" here reinforced your opinion-Safe, welcoming & worthwhile port. Don't waste time with frustration [emoji106]🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Someone asked and it was not answered, but do you need to obtain a tourist visa for this port? We go Sept. 2018.

As of now you do not need to obtain a tourist visa if you are only visiting Ephesus (or any other Turkish port) via a cruise ship port stop. It is a different story if your cruise begins or ends in Turkey -- but few are doing that these days.

The above is true for many nationalities including the US and UK. It's always a good idea to check again a few months before your cruise in case the situation has changed; however, this process in Ephesus has not changed in the past 10 years or so.

As of now you do not need to obtain a tourist visa if you are only visiting Ephesus (or any other Turkish port) via a cruise ship port stop. It is a different story if your cruise begins or ends in Turkey -- but few are doing that these days.

The above is true for many nationalities including the US and UK. It's always a good idea to check again a few months before your cruise in case the situation has changed; however, this process in Ephesus has not changed in the past 10 years or so.

Thank you. I would think that RCI would advise us if we did, but I am sure that's no guarantee! I'll keep my ears/eyes open.

I got them last year, but it turned out we did not need them.

I did it online and paid by credit card. Printed it out before we left for our cruise. A waste of money.

I should have asked on cruise critic. Loved Ephesus had private driver and guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums