Laundry in port?

kpd21880

Hello all,

We are traveling to AK next summer. We are DIY-ing a 6 day land tour before our cruise (Denali, Seward), and then cruising Seward-Vancouver on Celebrity. During the land portion, we have access to laundry in our cabin, as well as at our hotel. Our ports are: Juneau, Skagway, ISP and Ketchikan. Do you know of any laundromats or "wash and fold" services in any of the ports where we could do a quick load of laundry? We are traveling with our 6 year old son who is a mud magnet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you really want to spend the precious port time that is so limited sitting in the laundry???? Just ad onboard laundry for your son to your budget and see Alaska!

JMHO of course

I have to agree. Back in 2001, I managed to cruise to Alaska with 3 small children (ages 2, 5 & 8) without doing a bit of laundry all week! I wouldn't want to waste precious port time doing laundry.

Do you really want to spend the precious port time that is so limited sitting in the laundry???? Just ad onboard laundry for your son to your budget and see Alaska!

JMHO of course

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ideally, no. I don't want to sit somewhere and do laundry. That's why I was asking for options.

We travelled in Europe for 3 weeks last year. I found a few places along the way that allowed us to drop a bag of laundry in the morning and pick it back up, washed and folded in the afternoon. It was easy and MUCH less expensive than Celebrity's per item laundry pricing. We have long port days in 3 stops in Alaska and if there are laundromats with similar services, I would like to drop my son's muddy outer wear to be washed.

I always bring a couple of hangers & clothes pins from home and use the shampoo provided to hand wash some items each evening & hang in the shower to dry. It only takes me a minute and stretches my wardrobe so I don't run out of clean clothes.

I always bring a couple of hangers & clothes pins from home and use the shampoo provided to hand wash some items each evening & hang in the shower to dry. It only takes me a minute and stretches my wardrobe so I don't run out of clean clothes.

That's fine for Adults clothes but the OP has a 5 yr old that is attracted to mud and all things messy. I really do remember those days when my 6 yr old managed to get dirty 10 t's in 48 hrs. Changed every time he returned to the room. :0

What's wrong with using the washers and dryers on the ship. Every cruise ship we've been on has at least one small laundromat on every deck.

In a laundromat you can do many loads at one time and while I don't know about ALL Celebrity cruise ships I can say that not ALL cruise ships have self laundry and the ones I've used are the busiest place on the ship. Frankly I paid too much for my Alaska cruise to spend one minute of this fabulous vacation in the laundry!

That's fine for Adults clothes but the OP has a 5 yr old that is attracted to mud and all things messy. I really do remember those days when my 6 yr old managed to get dirty 10 t's in 48 hrs. Changed every time he returned to the room. :0

lol. YES. I would need a hose, not a small bathroom sink.....

What's wrong with using the washers and dryers on the ship. Every cruise ship we've been on has at least one small laundromat on every deck.

No laundromats on Celebrity. They do have a "wash and fold" service onboard, however the cost is per item (ex: $6 for a shirt)... which makes the multiple muddy wardrobe changes of a 5 year old boy pretty pricey. But, since I haven't yet found a laundry SERVICE off ship, the expense might just have to be worked into the budget. Worth more research, though. I'd much rather spend that OBC on a massage after chasing that little boy around the glaciers. :)

No laundromats on Celebrity. They do have a "wash and fold" service onboard, however the cost is per item (ex: $6 for a shirt)... which makes the multiple muddy wardrobe changes of a 5 year old boy pretty pricey. But, since I haven't yet found a laundry SERVICE off ship, the expense might just have to be worked into the budget. Worth more research, though. I'd much rather spend that OBC on a massage after chasing that little boy around the glaciers. :)

I provided a link above to a laundry that does Wash & Fold in Seward (post 6) I'm sure there are several in Anchorage.

Edited by JVilleGal

Luckily, there isn't any mud on the ship, so they really only have to worry about a few port days.

Too Bad Celebrity does not have coin-op.

I've travelled with a small boy, so I understand completely.

We've done laundry on most of our cruises - I would think twice before choosing a line without an unlimited laundry plan or coin-op facilities.

Yes, we do laundry on vacation. (I don't want to drag home a ton of dirty laundry & create something else to do when I'm trying to get my ducks in a row so that I can get back to work and my regularly scheduled life in short order.) There are times when we are "down" in our cabin, so we can easily spend that time doing laundry without feeling like we missed out on anything.

That sink plan did not work for us on our last cruise on a ship that did not have the facilities. So much so, I would not recommend it to anyone. (If it works for you or if you think you can do it then you don't need to recommendation.)

I provided a link above to a laundry that does Wash & Fold in Seward (post 6) I'm sure there are several in Anchorage.

Thanks JVilleGal. Yes, I saw that. We'll be in Seward for 2 days before we board (after being in Denali for 4 days), so I will certainly be using their services before we get onboard! Still looking for a similar spot about halfway through the cruise. Thank you for the help!!

Shampoo doesn't rinse well out of clothes. I'm a huge fan of ZOTE soap. Excellent laundry product that does a great job. I cut a bar into 4 pieces and it lasts for over a year. :)

Thanks JVilleGal. Yes, I saw that. We'll be in Seward for 2 days before we board (after being in Denali for 4 days), so I will certainly be using their services before we get onboard! Still looking for a similar spot about halfway through the cruise. Thank you for the help!!

Will you have a car in Skagway or Seward? I'd suggest doing laundry when you have a car. Especially Seward- isn't that walkable ) I've driven and used that laundry. I've walked and used the Skagway location.

I know people claim they are spending every port minute "touring", but it usually isn't all that accurate. I often have a few hours- empty--. Services Unlimited is the company in Skagway- Call them and see if they do have drop off service as well. Phone number (907) 983-2595

Will you have a car in Skagway or Seward? I'd suggest doing laundry when you have a car. Especially Seward- isn't that walkable ) I've driven and used that laundry. I've walked and used the Skagway location.

I know people claim they are spending every port minute "touring", but it usually isn't all that accurate. I often have a few hours- empty--. Services Unlimited is the company in Skagway- Call them and see if they do have drop off service as well. Phone number (907) 983-2595

THANK YOU!! Yes, we will have a car in Skagway and I just got off the phone w Services Unlimited. They have a wash and fold service for $12 per basket and will text you once it's all done (she said usually 3-4 hours). Perfect!!! Thank you again!