Taking food on excursion bus?

Kansaslunchlady

Good morning! Taking our first cruise in March - so excited! These boards have been very helpful. We have booked a shore excursion in Roatan ( mahogany bay) that doesn't start until 12:30. We would like to hang at the beach for a couple of hours, then grab some lunch to eat during the 30 minute travel time. Is this frowned upon? Are "to go" options available? I know I can't take food of the ship, just wanted to grab something easy from a restaurant (no nachos!)

Thanks for any help!

Good morning! Taking our first cruise in March - so excited! These boards have been very helpful. We have booked a shore excursion in Roatan ( mahogany bay) that doesn't start until 12:30. We would like to hang at the beach for a couple of hours, then grab some lunch to eat during the 30 minute travel time. Is this frowned upon? Are "to go" options available? I know I can't take food of the ship, just wanted to grab something easy from a restaurant (no nachos!)

Thanks for any help!

Let's lay out your options for you:

1. Yes, you CAN take food off the ship. It has to be prepackaged and unopened.

2. You can head back to the ship if the beach isn't too far away. Lunch starts around noon on Carnival, so you might have to settle for a late breakfast.

3. It's been over 2 years since I was at Mahogany Bay, so I don't know for sure if there are restaurants or such in the port area. I suspect there are.

4. It's YMMV whether your excursion will allow food on its buses. My guess is most don't mind, but if you have their contact information, you can contact them directly and ask.

5. Some excursions provide meals or snacks while you're with them, and some make stops at places that serve food. I assume you've checked for this, but it can't hurt to take another look.

Honolulu Blue has given you good advice.

I would, however, personally not take "lunch" on board an excursion bus. I think prepackaged snacks, perhaps dry cereal, etc. would be okay, but I would not take a plate of food or wrapped sandwich. Excursion buses can be anything from a van/mini bus/even large taxis; rarely have I ridden on a full-size motor coach. The island roads are not conducive to large buses. Most of the excursions I have taken have been on mini buses - maybe around 20 seats or less.

Room is usually pretty tight with your beach stuff, etc. Your fellow passengers might not appreciate full lunch on board. Have been on some longer excursions where refreshments were served, but usually a small, dry sandwich and water or punch. I doubt if a 30- minute ride would include food.

Some ports will have food sniffing dogs checking bags as passengers leave the ship. There are laws in some countries about bringing food ashore.

Don

The OP said they know they cannot take food off the ship.

Their question was about getting 'to go' food from a land restaurant and taking it on their bus tour.

If your tour is a ship sponsored tour,mother meeting place is probably on board the ship. If this is the case, just get back to the ship 20 minutes early and grab a bite to eat at the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk