Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

It also said, and I quote (my emphasis),

The ship departed from Melbourne on February 14th at 2pm local time

The time/date in Melbourne at the present is 7.20am on the 14th February.

How can someone earning enormous sums of money put his name to a document that is so totally incorrect.

Probably the same way the President's inauguration poster, being sold by the Library of Congress, had a misspelling error.

It also said, and I quote (my emphasis),

The ship departed from Melbourne on February 14th at 2pm local time

The time/date in Melbourne at the present is 7.20am on the 14th February.

How can someone earning enormous sums of money put his name to a document that is so totally incorrect.

How do you know that the ship is not fixed right now and certified.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So after all this wonderful pre planed maintenance perhaps you might inform us how the ship came to be drifting 32km off the coast of Wonthaggi ?

The answer is that is very easy for the owners of FOC registered ships to cut corners

Properly maintained ships do not have continued multiple incidences of propulsion failure

Regards

John

You may have a great deal of experience at sea but what you've just written boils down to "if there's smoke, there's fire." As another poster has pointed out, this is a logical fallacy. This may be your best guess, but it is still only a guess. You are only undermining your own credibility when you try to present it as a fact.

Edited by havenfan

How do you know that the ship is not fixed right now and certified.

It's probably cleared and they are all set to depart at that time. I don't think the statements a big deal (unless the Azipods fail as they fire them up to pull away!) .

I'm not sure how they can declare it departed on February 14 at 2:00 PM local time when it's currently only 6:30 AM on 2/14. Hopefully the problem really is fixed, but for now it's still docked in Melbourne and over 7 hours from scheduled departure.

That's the part I 'sighed' at. Not sure how someone has got hold of, I would presume, an 'embargoed' document. We will just have to keep waiting. Nothing new there!!!!

It's probably cleared and they are all set to depart at that time. I don't think the statements a big deal (unless the Azipods fail as they fire them up to pull away!) .

Very true Dave.

It amazes me how people try to turn good news into negative news.

Julian Assange's brother work for NCL?

Ha! Ha! I'm assuming this is the letter we will get from NCL once they get the all clear that the Star is finally on its way 'all guns blazing'. Whoops I mean Azipods.

Maybe they replaced the azipods with flux reactors and they have already popped over to tomorrow lunchtime to make sure the ship departed on time........ :)

Tongue in cheek I know but not as bone as some of the nit picking going on here.

it WAS the FLUX CAPACITOR Well at least in the case of this large liner

....https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c6fa6ed915d4c10000031/QM2Report.pdf

Flux reactor indeed :)

Regards

John

The Statement posted here stated that the ship had been cleared by the Classification Society

Does that mean that an exemption has been made and a condition of class has been issued to allow the ship to sail with certain defects to a nominated port for repairs (This is common practice)

Regards

John

You may have a great deal of experience at sea but what you've just written boils down to "if there's smoke, there's fire." As another poster has pointed out, this is a logical fallacy. This may be your best guess, but it is still only a guess. You are only undermining your own credibility when you try to present it as a fact.

Not So .. I just asked why the ship was drifting 32km off the coast of Wonthaggi ...

The ship has a history of propulsion issues and I question the decision to sail with only one pod functioning

Azipod problems

Norwegian Star docked in Kauai, Hawaii in 2002, before the application of hull art

Damage to the forward thrust bearing in Norwegian Star's Azipod system in April 2004 caused the suspension of trips to Fanning Island, Kiribati.[29] Because of the damage, the ship was restricted to 18 knots (33 km/h; 21 mph) instead of the 25-knot-speed (46 km/h; 29 mph) needed to make the journey around Hawaii and to Kiribati in the week allotted for the cruise.[29] The stopovers in Kiribati were required under the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 whereby non-U.S. flagged ships are prohibited from departing and returning to a U.S. port without first calling at a foreign port. The penalties associated with skipping a foreign port were waived for NCL on account of the damage.[29] A revised itinerary with stops in Kailua and Lahaina was substituted until the end of April, and the repositioning cruise to Vancouver was cancelled to allow Norwegian Star to go into drydock early.[29]

Additional problems with the Azipods forced NCL take the Norwegian Star out-of-service for two weeks in April 2015, and cancel its repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal.[30] In December 2016, problems with one of the Azipods delayed the Norwegian Star's departure from Singapore and forced the curtailing of additional itineraries.[31] Three months later, the ship's Azipods failed off the coast of Victoria, Australia requiring it to be towed to Melbourne.

they really dont want another failure do they

Regards

John

To The people sailing on the ship today

Go to the guest services desk as ask this question

"Has the Classification Society issued a condition of class to allow the ship to sail"

If they say Yes to that question you should insist on knowing what those conditions are

this May help you to decide to sail or not

Regards

John

Not So .. I just asked why the ship was drifting 32km off the coast of Wonthaggi ...

The ship has a history of propulsion issues and I question the decision to sail with only one pod functioning

You said much more than just asking why the ship was drifting 32 km off the coast. You said that the "answer is that is very easy for the owners of FOC registered ships to cut corners."

You, without merit, essentially accused the cruise line of cutting corners and risking safety in the name of profit. Havenfan is right -- your creditability is pretty low when you make baseless remarks like that.

You said much more than just asking why the ship was drifting 32 km off the coast. You said that the "answer is that is very easy for the owners of FOC registered ships to cut corners."

You, without merit, essentially accused the cruise line of cutting corners and risking safety in the name of profit. Havenfan is right -- your creditability is pretty low when you make baseless remarks like that.

So have they been cutting corners , is that the reason for their ships multiple propulsion failures

Has a condition of class been issued ??

It happens time after time ...even the best of owners can be tempted

Lets stick to the facts FACT the ship was left DRIFTING 32KM off the coast of Wonthaggi and had to be towed back to Melbourne FACT not long after the entered Port Phillip bay the wind increased to gale force 8 from the south FACT if the wind had arrived 24 hours earlier then the Towing would have been a very different thing and possibley might not have been possible .

The decision to sail with only one working azipod was questionable ..if they had fixed the pods in Melbourne before sailing in the first place ...... cutting corners .... yep

Regards

John

The Statement posted here stated that the ship had been cleared by the Classification Society

Does that mean that an exemption has been made and a condition of class has been issued to allow the ship to sail with certain defects to a nominated port for repairs (This is common practice)

Regards

John

A condition of class is only issued when a repair cannot be completed at the current port or time, due to lack of availability of spares or facilities, but that does not affect the seaworthiness of the vessel. When you say that "conditions of class" are common, the vast majority of conditions of class are dents in the ship that don't affect framework, and don't affect the strength of the ship, not major mechanical issues. Port state authorities will also ask, right off the bat, whether a ship has any conditions of class, in determining whether a ship can sail or not. Whether the ship actually sails is up to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), as they will not allow the ship to sail without a recommendation from class, but they can always overrule class if they feel the ship still is not seaworthy.

So have they been cutting corners , is that the reason for their ships multiple propulsion failures

Has a condition of class been issued ??

It happens time after time ...even the best of owners can be tempted

Lets stick to the facts FACT the ship was left DRIFTING 32KM off the coast of Wonthaggi and had to be towed back to Melbourne FACT not long after the entered Port Phillip bay the wind increased to gale force 8 from the south FACT if the wind had arrived 24 hours earlier then the Towing would have been a very different thing and possibley might not have been possible .

The decision to sail with only one working azipod was questionable ..if they had fixed the pods in Melbourne before sailing in the first place ...... cutting corners .... yep

Regards

John

And, again, I will ask where AMSA was, at any port up to and including Melbourne, to say, "you're cutting corners by sailing with one azipod, and we want it to stop"? Is your maritime safety board as corrupt as you claim the flag states and class societies are?