Dream myths dispelled

Under the 'Wish i had known' category;

The ship and cabins are not cold therefore no need for several long sleeved cover ups. Men will only need a formal suit/dj and women one wrap for the Broadway show lounge which is chilly so the performers do not roast. Long sleeve shirts on men at night look nicer.

It is not a 'lanyard' ship.

You do not need a power extension lead or multiplug. There are 2 sockets above the dressing table one needs a USA to UK converter and the other a EU/continental wide 2 pin to UK conversion. There is also a bedside light plugged into an EU socket.

There are masses of drawers and hangers, an enclosed wardrobe and an exterior rail/hangers. (Premium outside)

You dont need a shoe hanger thing. We had 8 drawers. They are well secured and dont fly open.

You dont really need a torch if pushed for weight as light does shine in under the cabin door.

The walls were not magnetic.

The beds and pillows were very comfortable, firm but not rock hard.

You dont need your own flannels. you get 2 bath, 2 hand, 2 flannels, bath mat and 2 large beach towels.

The bathroom did not need the 'aroma' i packed.

The hairdryer supplied was perfectly adequate.

You get a tissue box...or more!

You can get a table for 2 pretty easily in Orion.

YOU DO NEED

An alarm clock.

Refillable drinks bottles.

Zippy bags for offshore carb snacks.

Rainwear for trips and umbrella.

Something magnetic to hold the nylon shower curtain to the bath if you have one.

Enough shoes so if one pair does get soaked you can get them dry.

ANOTHER MUST

Find/get some clamp things for holding towels on beach loungers. The deck areas can be really windy on sea days and the 'smug' old hands sit nicely secure rather than perfect the starfish pose to hold down mattresses and towels.

You WILL have to rise early on sea days to bag a prime spot. Unlike the beach the loungers DO get used other than meal times.

DEBATABLE

Paying for extra luggage allowance (Caribbean) Only 1 bag was weighted at Gatwick, our hand wasn't. Dont try travelling without hand luggage it is a safety net. With suitcases taken from outside cabins the previous night how can these be weighed and charged? We only saw them again at Gatwick. Hand luggage was not weighed on way back at Jamaica....but things can always change.

Do get a drinks package if on a good offer as glasses are quickly refilled even on busy formal nights, they know your tipple and eventually triple amounts are the norm...hic.....

The food is really good, you will return like a whale.

Very useful summary newbiewaves. Thank you. :)

But I would say that a 4-way might be quite important to some people depending on how many gadgets you take. We find it essential as with 2 Kindles, 2 tablets, 2 phones and 2 cameras with batteries which need charging, we found when we came in at the end of the day we were charging quite a lot as we got ready for dinner - and I need a socket for hair tongs plus DH's occasional shaver charge too! As you aren't supposed to leave items charging whilst you're out of the cabin and we don't want to keep swapping things over during the night we actually would struggle without a 4-way.

As I said it does depend on individuals - and for many it may not be needed but I thought for anyone like us who do take quite a lot of chargeable devices :eek: it may well be very useful if not necessary.

Edited by kruzseeka

An alarm clock is useful anywhere on holiday, but not essential on a cruise ship - if you 'phone reception they will give you an early morning wake up call.

All (?) mobile 'phone handsets have an alarm function as well - although you have to make sure you are on correct local time.

For the same reason as Kruzseeka I need a 4-way extension.

I use my phone as an alarm and clock (kept on airplane mode).

I find the shoe hanger thingy very useful for storing some things.

What is a lanyard ship? I keep my ship card on a lanyard in my bag as it easier to find.

When two women are sharing a cabin or the hair dryer is in the bathroom, I do need my own hairdryer.

Agree about most of the rest, though never take snacks off the ship into another country but not a bad idea to take some snacks to the airport.

Maybe i should clarify for a passenger 'couple'.

A small travel alarm means you do not have to rely on others or mess about with ships time. For us it was a relief to turn off the phone for 2 weeks even finding wi-fi a challenge to get in ports. Phone off no charging...The clock helped the mad rush timing for dinner as watches were constantly going awol lol.

I took 2 digi cameras and extra memory cards yet the lack of time for photo opportunities due to weather and changes meant only 1 was used and didnt need charging. Maybe at an age when my memories stay in my head lol.

We did need a socket for OH electronic cigarette habit lol.

The evil in me does think less charging less gadget use and more observing the world but it can keep kids quiet....

For your own alarm clock you still need to ensure you're on ships time as previously stated we always use reception to be sure it is computerised and has never failed in the past

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean Village Feb 2008 Western Caribbean & Central America

Ocean Village Aug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean

Ocean Village Mar 2010 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson Celebration Apr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Majesty Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream Jan/Feb 2015 Western Caribbean Panama & Cuba

Thomson Dream Apr 2015 Transatlantic Sunset

Thomson Majesty June 2015 Hellenic Classics

Thomson Celebration Sept 2015 Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream Jan 2016 Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream April 2016 Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream June 2016 Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson Celebration Jan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream April2017 Atlantic Daydream

Thomson Majesty Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

Maybe i should clarify for a passenger 'couple'.

A small travel alarm means you do not have to rely on others or mess about with ships time. For us it was a relief to turn off the phone for 2 weeks even finding wi-fi a challenge to get in ports. Phone off no charging...The clock helped the mad rush timing for dinner as watches were constantly going awol lol.

I took 2 digi cameras and extra memory cards yet the lack of time for photo opportunities due to weather and changes meant only 1 was used and didnt need charging. Maybe at an age when my memories stay in my head lol.

We did need a socket for OH electronic cigarette habit lol.

The evil in me does think less charging less gadget use and more observing the world but it can keep kids quiet....

I actually use the same packing list when cruising with my husband. I don't like using a hairdryer in the bathroom. And my husband does take his small alarm clock because he leaves his phone at home..

I have never taken an extension lead. I have a smart phone, but DH only has an ordinary phone, which he rarely uses and hardly ever needs charging! I have a tablet and kobo which don't need charging very often and my camera uses ordinary batteries, but obviously everyone has different needs :)

A very useful list though newbiewaves :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA