Dietary Restrictions on Regal Princess (Celiac)

ceceliaf

Hey there friends,

This will be my first time cruising Princess (in 3 days!) and I have a few things on my mind, but the one I will annoy you with is my dietary restriction. I have searched the forums but have found less information than I was hoping for.

My mother and I are celiacs.. I was wondering if I could hear from those have experienced a Princess cruise with a dietary restriction. I am more familiar with NCL and RCCL.. and have always felt very safe and taken care of, partially because I was always able to find the GF options online prior to the cruise.

What was your experience like? How do dietary restrictions go in Sabitini's and Alfredo's etc?

I've got a similar issue and Princess was great - worked with the wait staff to get what I needed pre ordered each night. They were great modifying stuff. Of course as you know lido buffets can be challenging especially for cross contamination but the dining rooms staff is always great. For the premium restaurants I check when I'm reserving and have no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On your cruise personalizer, there is a place for special requests including gluten free needs. You will receive an email acknowledging your request,telling you to contact the Maitre d' of the dining room to inform him of your condition.

They will bring you a menu each night and tell you what is gluten free. (sometimes it is as simple as leaving off the croutons from a soup)

For breakfast you can get gluten free bread up in Horizon Court at at one of the toast making areas (for sure, port side, nearest the exit to the back deck), and I imagine that the Main Dining Room would have it as well.

Have a great cruise.

Bill

Edited by spearmint

While I didn't experience it I witnessed our tablemates on the Regal. They were kosher and each night they brought their own skillet in and each night when it was returned the Maître D would tell them what was available the next night so they could choose. Each night their food came out on paper plates with plastic utensils. They said Princess took great care of them and have always had the easiest time with Princess when cruising with their culinary needs. It was also neat for us as we have heard of it before but don't know a lot about it and they were happy to speak about it and they educated us on it. Quite interesting..I love learning new things and they were very nice enough to share.

When Princess rolls out the medallions to all ships this problem "should" become a thing of the past as each server and chef will have instant access to all passenger's dietary restrictions. In theory they will advise you if you order something that doesn't fit within the parameters of your restrictions. Only time will tell but, having this immediately available on their devices should eliminate issues of them not know about your dietary issues.

Many people have posted to CC regarding the need for gluten free meals and the consensus has been that Princess is very good about working with the passengers.

My wife is lactose intolerant. The first night, we ask for the Head Waiter when we are seated. He comes over quickly and discusses her situation with my wife and takes notes. That night he brings the dinner menu and helps her select her meals. Later that evening he brings the next evening's menus so she can pre-order. After that, each evening we ask for the Head Waiter (specifying him by name). He verifies my wife's order and later brings the next night menus. They also make up special desert for her some evenings.

My wife gets violently ill if she has ANY lactose. We have 90 days on Princess since she developed this condition and have not had a problem.