Need to lose 50 by Oct 2006 anyone else??

Guest hockeychic

Hey everyone,

New to this thread but not new to struggling with weight loss. I had become overweight during college, to varying degrees. When I lost, I never did it the "right" way, so back it came. Back in 2002 I decidated myself to changing my lifestyle. Excercised regulary, ate healthy, the whole bit. Lost a ton of weight, well not a ton but almost 80 lbs.

Well, after my wedding in 2004, I gained it all back. GRR! I just got lazy. We moved, and started falling back on a lot of old excuses. Didn't go to the gym, started getting take out a lot, etc. So now I'm right back at square one. The picture in my profile is from our HM cruise in 2004. Back then, I still thought I was fat. That is, until I saw pictures of me from this year. OMG. NO, THAT is fat.

So, we booked a cruise for Nov of this year. I may not get to the size in that picture, but I'm going to work really hard. My husband and I have promised each other that we weren't going to eat out/get take in and make use of the gym memberships we just signed up for.

I'm just looking for some accountability and support. I had done an online diet site, it was wonderful and it worked so well for me, but they changed over the years and now they just peddle "branded" "diets" not incorporating a lifestyle change.

I'd really like to lose 70 lbs by November, but I don't know if that'll happen. Any loss is better than no loss, though!

Thanks for reading the novel here, LOL. Looking forward to getting to "know" everybody!

Vicky

Hi Vicky...welcome to the board...you'll find lots of support and motivation here....I know what you mean about seeing yourself in pictures AAARRRGGGHHH...most of the chats/advice/etc is happening on other threads...if you go to previous post # 161 by Daniel, you'll see a link to another thread...hope you join us...we're all at various stages of THE STRUGGLE :)

Welcome to all the new members of this list. This morning, those stubborn scales finally hit the 40 lb. mark!!!! OK - still have a ways to go, but at least I don't have to face the summer (and vacation) looking like a beached whale. The big 60 hits in September, and I'm now confident that I'll hit the 50 lb. mark by then.

Vicky - a couple of hints. Try keeping a journal and be very strict about writing down everything that goes in your mouth, including the time you ate it. We still eat out and/or do take out at least twice a week, BUT, take out is always Chinese - steamed chicken or shrimp and broccoli with brown rice and ginger sauce on the side for me. The portion is big enough for leftovers the next day. Eating out is usually a seafood place - some will sub steamed veggies for french fries.

Wish I could say I've been exercising a lot, but that would be a lie. DH has been going to CUTS for men for a few years now, and it has helped him a lot (he is 65 with emphysema and asthma, so can't do all the machines, but has lost weight and built some muscle). Well, anyway, they have opened a women's version near my office - the manager said they would give me a three month free membership to try it out, so I'm going Saturday to sign up. DH will pay for the rest of the year if I like it.

I would like to join all of you in this weight loss venture. I started dieting on January 1, and have lost 50 lbs. so far. I have another 70 to go. I will not give up this time. I'm cruising on October 1, for the sixth time, and I plan to be much thinner than last time. I am not on any particular diet plan. I'm doing this by myself. I have cut out all breads, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. I eat meat and veggies, lots of salad, and even allow myself ice cream once a week. I don't snack on veggies because I eat enough of them on a regular basis. I snack on pretzels, goldfish crackers, light popcorn, etc. Everything in moderation is ok. I'm doing ok but I could use some new friends with the same goal as mine. It's always better when you use the buddy system. I'd love to hear from some of you.

Maureen

Maureen - Welcome. These boards are very helpful and useful. I have heard others say find support and be supportive. That way everybody benifits.

I can tell how much support there is here. I really appreciate the welcome.

Welcome, Maureen! You have done just great so far, and I'm sure by Oct. 1 you will be more than half way there. Now that summer is here, you might want to substitute some of those snacks with fresh fruit - cantalope, strawberries, etc. I'm Italian and couldn't live without some pasta, but found the high protein kind works just fine for me (Barilla is my favorite brand) - the bread I can live without OK.

Scales are being stubborn this week - still at the 40 lb. mark - so I'm going to have to step it up a bit!

Archived