Should We Change?

Outhouse

You'll always find those that complain or are disappointed about one thing or another. We've sailed on 40+ cruises, lots of different lines so we know the differences. We sailed the Diamond on the inaugural 3/13 cruise and loved it... the ship is awesome, the food was good, the crew and staff were extremely friendly. We're sailing the Diamond again in August, to Alaska. What is it you're concerned about?

Sandy

Outhouse... I'm not sure what you should be nervous about. Most of the posts about the ship's mishap last week are based on rumors, misinformation and misinterpretation. Read the post by Cruise News Daily. Alan has talked directly to Princess and has the facts straight.

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03; Regal Princess (4/20/04)

-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2004;12;26;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

-- Royal Princess (4/21/05) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2005;04;21;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Outhouse, what have you read that is making you nervous??? From what I have read and from the photos I have seen of the Diamond Princess I think you will have a wonderful cruise! Alaska and cruising are a winning combination! icon_smile.gif

Cruising! It's like being in the Garden of Eatin'!

I have read some comments that the staff did not have it all together, some said that the food was so so, oder, and so on. Again, I once saw a cruise ship but have never been near one so I am a total novice! Some of it might be buyers remorse. Travel Agent originally suggested a Holland cruise. Thanks for the advice to quit being so nervous.

Outhouse... some things to keep in mind. Attitude goes a long way towards how much you enjoy your cruise. We're all different and like different food, have different expectations of service, etc. For instance, one person might prefer a friendly, chatty waiter, someone else might prefer an efficient one who doesn't talk a lot.

It's not unusual to miss a port due to weather, it's not unusual for the internet to be down because it's dependent on satellite signals. Etc. There are some things that the cruiseline can't control. If you go on your cruise with an open mind and plan on enjoying yourself no matter what happens, then you'll have a wonderful time.

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03; Regal Princess (4/20/04)

-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2004;12;26;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

-- Royal Princess (4/21/05) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2005;04;21;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Hi again Outhouse! I do believe you can put your worries to rest. Early reviews of the Diamond did mention bad odors in one area of the ship but I recently read a report from someone who stated that on their cruise they didn't notice any bad odors. Hopefully whatever the problem was got cleared up.

Food is such a subjective area that I wouldn't worry about that either. I have never heard anyone complain that they went hungry on a cruise. Some items taste better than others but often it is just a matter of personal taste.

Also keep in mind that many of the reviews were written when the Diamond had only sailed a couple of cruises. It takes a little time for the staff of such a huge organization to start working together in sync and harmony! That's why many folks wait for a little while before trying a new ship. By the time you board everything will likely be running very smoothly...well we sure hope so anyway icon_wink.gif

Concentrate on all the good comments that are out there, look at all the gorgeous photos of the Diamond and enjoy every moment anticipating your cruise!

Cruising! It's like being in the Garden of Eatin'!

PRINCESS IS NOT ALONE IN ALASKA!

Other Ships are having Bigger problems than the Diamond. Here is a Link to article, today, from the Frommers website.

Also, same page has an article on the progress of the Sapphire and her Christening in Seattle on 10 June.

http://www.frommers.com/book_a_trip/deal_cruise/deal.cfm?destid=CRUISE&articleid=2006

A Smile is just a little curve that sets a lot of things Straight.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Hi Outhouse, I too was concerned after the initial bad reviews on the Diamond Princess, espescially the negative food reviews. All I can tell you is that we just got off the 5/15 cruise (with the fateful crash) and it was one of the best vacations of our lives. We travel 8-10 weeks per year and are relatively new to cruising compared to some of the folks on this board.

All I can tell you is put your fears aside and go and have a terrific voyage. The food was very good. Service was great. Room was great. Our cabin attendant was great. Do ya get the reoccurring theme of "great"? : icon_smile.gif The negatives were very minor. Overall we would rate the experience a "9". If you have any specific questions I'll be sure to answer. We have traveled far and wide and I think at this point we can judge pretty well what a bad vacation is. Okay, have I convinced you yet, lol icon_biggrin.gif Have a great time.

Majesty of the Seas (2)

Norwegian Dawn

Monarch of the Seas

Diamond Princess Alaska

Grand Princess 9/04

Outhouse.... I've sailed both Holland America and Princess. Both offer wonderful experiences.

Since you've never been on a cruise ship, there are only 2 things to worry about:

1. Motion sickness. Some folks can't handle the ship's movement, especially in rough seas. That may not be a big concern on the Inside Passage. (unless the itinerary is roundtrip out of Seattle in which you may go on the west side of Vancouver Island.) However, there are remedies for motion sickness, especially preventative ones. But there are NO remedies for....

#2- by far your biggest concern. You should be afraid. Very afraid. I innocently took a 2-night repositioning cruise (on Princess) 3 years ago and have been obsessed with cruising ever since. This is an addiction I can not afford!!! It's like heroin- one time, and you're hooked.

Cruise at your own risk!

Rick

People are more prone to comment when they are unhappy about something. Often the complaints are blown out of proportion, and are just a minor issue in what otherwise was a great experience.

I once experienced the same feelings here, after reading all sorts of negative comments about a ship that we had booked. As it turned out, it was a fantastic cruise and all I could assume was that the people who posted those comments were either excessively nitpicky, extremely unlucky, of ill temper to begin with, or just completely incapable of having a good time.

By the time you cruise, the crew will have their act together, the logistics at all the ports will have been worked out, and your only disappointment will come when you are reminded that you will have to disembark. Make sure you book a future cruise or get an open booking before you leave the ship - you'll regret it if you don't.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

On our last cruise we had wonderful waiters in Traditional. The Asst. waiter was new. Very new!!! He dropped a small plate, took him two days to get the soda for dinner, we had our cards out, and forgot to keep DH coffee cup filled. The last is a felony for Dh, but a few kicks under the table, held him off. icon_eek.gif LOL!! Anyway, he was just trying so hard!! The third night, I wispered to him that he was not to worry, we were not complaining, and would not, and to just relax. He hugged me. We got our soda, and the cup was filled the rest of the week. icon_biggrin.gif My feeling is, a cruise is the best vacation on earth. I don't have to cook, clean, make beds, NOTHING!!!! I am waited on, pampered, relaxed, And I get to dress up, rare in Florida, twice during the week for Dinner and the evening. Things happen!! Roll with it. Nothing is perfect, and at the very worst, I am on a ship, not at home, and it is still the best vacation on earth!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY..... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

I agree that the main thing you have to worry about is becoming addicted to cruising! Our first cruise was to Alaska, and we've been sailing on average every 9 months since then. We've become very accustomed to spending our children's inheritance! icon_biggrin.gif

'Vegas Jim

LOL!!!! Hold on tight, cause it can't be helped!! icon_eek.gif If you love it, book on board, $100 each deposit, no ship, no date, and walk off smiling!! Other wise, they will pull you kicking and screaming off the boat. icon_eek.gif You will feel much better knowing you will go again. You will have 4 yrs to book, and if you don't you can get a refund of the $200, but it sure helps the PCD. icon_cool.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY..... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

I am now nervous with what I am reading about this ship. Should we change either ships or cruise lines?

No, for all the reasons stated above, you're in the right place.

As great of a source of information as this board is what you describe is my one concern about what happens here sometimes. A concerned future passenger such as yourself comes here, reads what seems to be "everybody" talking about some negative aspect of a ship or cruise line and they take it as gospel.

It's not and the interesting thing is that a week from now those problems on that one Diamond sailing will all be forgotten and there will be some other hot topic.

You should have been here when the Norwalk Virus was in full swing, geeze you'd have thought it was the Black Plague sweeping over the ocean. Now, as I wrote this I had to think what it was even called....I forgot.

You've made a great choice in ships. I have just begun researching Alaska for a future cruise we want to take and one thing that is crystal clear is that

Princess Owns Alaska

Alaskan cruises anyway and they do a bang up job with it.

Go with confidence young man

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Carnival Valor 10/30/05

It's too late to avoid addiction--once you are exposed there is no cure--if someone offered me a booking on the Titanic, I'd jump at it--there were some survivors!

As for the long lines to embark, I have a theory--it makes the feeling of instantly becoming royalty when you step on the ship more memorable, and, on the other end, a difficult debarkation makes for a really stark contrast as you are thrust back into reality--enhancing the effects of PCD. In a dark room somewhere, I'm sure some evil marketing genius has thought of this! It sure works. icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe the question to start out with is "what are my expectations?" Do you expect to eat gourmet cuisine every single meal? Do you expect to be treated like the king or queen of some small country 24 hours a day? If so, you probably leave room for disappointment.

Like others, when we travel, we are so happy to be away from home that it would probably take an episode of Titantic proportions to put a dent in our experience. And that might not do it! Vacations in general are what you make them. If you go searching for stained carpet, you will probably find it somewhere. If you watch for your server to make a mistake, you will probably notice one. As has been suggested, pack the right attitude and you'll have a fabulous experience.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Sapphire Princess

Here, here Baxter! I am always a firm believer in making the best of a situation. The worst that can happen is that you have to make the best of a bad situation; the best that can happen is that you get to make the best of a great situation.

From what I have heard of the Diamond from cruisers in-the-know, it is destined to become the one of the best ships in the Pacific.

960426124355.gif

www.geocities.com/pattersandmenus

Golden Princess 7/11/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;11;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Big Red Boat-1993 (Amy)

Celebrity Zenith-1993 (Jon)

Archived