Does anyone like The Breakaway?

Jezo

I've sailed on the Breakaway three times and the last time was a 14-day cruise right after Thanksgiving last year. That ship has gone downhill fast. I took it on the shake down Trans-Atlantic to NYC and had an ok time. Nothing to scream about one way or the other. When I took the ship to Bermuda a year later, the ship was amazing and the service was amazing and the food was too! The last time in November into December 2016, good service was exceedingly difficult to find. The stateroom shorted out my electric shaver and blew out the outlet with no compensation from NCL. The in-cabin outlet sparked when I plugged in my re-chargeable battery for my camera. The cabin steward wanted to talk but never do his job and constantly forgot things. Dining room service was hideously slow forcing long waits for those who didn't get there early enough. Food was mediocre at best and the new menus were so salt laden you had to drink a ton of water for the rest of the night to quench your thirst. Good luck OP on your sailing. I hope you encounter better!

He did! We did the 14 day out of New York City, it was an amazing time :) Our review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2457471

Sailed two weeks ago on Breakaway. Never again. We encountered the rudest staff at the NY port Pier 71. They were downright mean. The wait to get on the ship was ridiculous. It took hours! Then when we finally got clearance to board, AGAIN, rude staff yelling at people to hurry up because they were reaching capacity within the terminal. Terrible customer service from start to finish during the boarding process. Our cabin was nice. Basic balcony. I do like the way the bathrooms are set up with no shower curtain that clings to you. Food was much better than any other cruise we have been on. The bars were always poorly staffed. You had to wait a LONG time to order and receive your drink. Gift shop was stocked with either high priced Gucci bags or dollar store jewelry. It took FIVE times for us to merge our account; imagine an angry husband every time he ordered a drink he'd have to come get my card. :mad: Five times down to guest services before we figured out the metal strip was malfunctioning. Booking a tender made NO sense to us at all. Booking shows...ugh. I don't want to be held by time restraints while on vacation! Where was the free style?! :confused: Lastly I was immediately charged for a message TWO days before receiving said message. And to make that situation worse they over charged me. Never again NCL.

Two people who were on the Jan.29 Breakaway cruise came home with the FLU.

Two other people that we know came home sick.

On the last 3 sea days people were coughing in every public area .Most did not cover their mouths.I went to Guest Services and asked if they could make an announcement urging people not to cough into the air .I was told that they will not nake an announcement.

We were on an NCL cruise in 2013 ,did not like it but decided to try again in 2016 mdid not like it but heard wonderful things about the Breakaway so we decided to try.

For us it was a horror show.

There are over 5000 people on this ship and this is during flu season. Are you saying this is a lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Gem dec 29 cruise and everyone was sick. My husband and I got sick by the 3rd day of a 10 day cruise. I still had a blast.

There are over 5000 people on this ship and this is during flu season. Are you saying this is a lot?

I think its funny that NCL is being blamed for people getting the flu. It is flu season, and most likely, this was something that individuals had when they boarded the ship with. I highly doubt that NCL is putting the flu virus in the air and food of the breakaway.

If people would practice basic hygiene, wash their hands thoroughly and cover their mouth when coughing, the number of illnesses on ships would dramatically decrease. You can't blame the ship and crew for issues caused by the passengers.

i'm not a freak but i guess i'm a phobe. i hit elevator buttons with knuckles. dont touch escalator handrails etc

but 1 week after my BA december cruise i was sick

i checked my records and the previous december i was also sick, no cruise.

but should i blame the BA anyway?

i'm not a freak but i guess i'm a phobe. i hit elevator buttons with knuckles. dont touch escalator handrails etc

but 1 week after my BA december cruise i was sick

i checked my records and the previous december i was also sick, no cruise.

but should i blame the BA anyway?

You might as well! lol I have been on the BA 2 times, the jewel once, a RC ship I cant remember the name of, and I have never been sick as a result of the ship. I think that it is unfair that folks blame a ship and crew for issues stemming from the passengers.

I think its funny that NCL is being blamed for people getting the flu. It is flu season, and most likely, this was something that individuals had when they boarded the ship with. I highly doubt that NCL is putting the flu virus in the air and food of the breakaway.

If people would practice basic hygiene, wash their hands thoroughly and cover their mouth when coughing, the number of illnesses on ships would dramatically decrease. You can't blame the ship and crew for issues caused by the passengers.

Not blaming the ship ,but blaming the Guest Services staff for refusing to make an announcement that passengers should cover their mouth when coughing.

I was on the January 29th 2 weeker and had a ball of a time, as stated in other spots. I can't remember seeing anyone who was sick and everyone was in high spirits all across the ship.

We did see one cranky guy (who of course I called out and didn't let him just walk away) who was so terribly annoyed my son was manning the elevator and pushing buttons for people who asked him. My son is in pre-school and all the retired folks loved it, except for Mr. Cranky who just shook his head and walked off the elevator annoyed. We all said "GOOD BYE MR CRANKY!" as he walked away. Folks like that are the ones on here saying it was a bad trip, everyone else had a ball.

Not blaming the ship ,but blaming the Guest Services staff for refusing to make an announcement that passengers should cover their mouth when coughing.

I assume you specifically requested they announce people cough into the inside of their elbow, and not into their hands, right? Because coughing into your hands actually can be worse than coughing into the open air for many pathogens. Coughing into your hands spreads saliva, droplet, and airborne illnesses at a much higher rate than most other vectors (since most washy-washy instructions are only for dining venues, as that main focus is intestinal/food/body fluid-vector viruses, not upper respiratory viruses or bacteria). If the "flu" going around you saw (much more likely a severe Rhinovirus than influenza, based on how you describe the symptoms, by the way) is most likely a fluid/droplet-vector virus than a true airborne transmittable disease. Sure, covering will help reduce the distance the droplets will travel, but unless full sanitary coverage is used (into the arm, not the hands), the virus will still spread like wildfire as people touch countless surfaces with their hands (and in places like the atrium and theater, there are quite a few very porous surfaces which your hands will in turn touch, and in passing come near an entry point, most likely on your face.

But, yeah, it's the cruise line's fault for not believing your layman assessment of what's going on and how best to prevent it.

I was on the January 29th 2 weeker and had a ball of a time, as stated in other spots. I can't remember seeing anyone who was sick and everyone was in high spirits all across the ship.

We did see one cranky guy (who of course I called out and didn't let him just walk away) who was so terribly annoyed my son was manning the elevator and pushing buttons for people who asked him. My son is in pre-school and all the retired folks loved it, except for Mr. Cranky who just shook his head and walked off the elevator annoyed. We all said "GOOD BYE MR CRANKY!" as he walked away. Folks like that are the ones on here saying it was a bad trip, everyone else had a ball.

thing i dont get is why someone would go on a cruise when people annoy them.. better off buying a boat or ship and sailing alone..

We love the Breakaway and after several cruises we feel very "at home" on board. Have had only one or two meals that I didn't love, mostly great food, staff has always been wonderful and accommodating. I agree NY terminal hospitality leaves a little to be desired but that is not NCL or Breakaway. Only in this last cruise two weeks ago did I experience tremendous lines to tender back to the ship at GSC but I attribute it to the high winds and only using large tenders. I'm not a huge fan of any buffet so the whole coughing thing and lines at the buffet are easily avoided by breakfast in Taste or Savor, lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You might as well! lol I have been on the BA 2 times, the jewel once, a RC ship I cant remember the name of, and I have never been sick as a result of the ship. I think that it is unfair that folks blame a ship and crew for issues stemming from the passengers.

so since the ship made me sick can i get me some OBC:evilsmile:

Don't just like it - LOVE it.

We leave in 3 three days on our 6th BA trip (out of a dozen or so on NCL). I didn't expect to like BA, but every trip has been a wonderful vacation. That doesn't mean there weren't any problems, but problems happen everywhere.

DH and I go back for the attentive, friendly crew; the good to occasionally great (Ocean Blue!) food; the good entertainment (DH esp. loves Howling at the Moon). And did I mention how exceptional the crew is?

Deep breath, relax and prepare to have a good time - and you will. :D

I assume you specifically requested they announce people cough into the inside of their elbow, and not into their hands, right? Because coughing into your hands actually can be worse than coughing into the open air for many pathogens. Coughing into your hands spreads saliva, droplet, and airborne illnesses at a much higher rate than most other vectors (since most washy-washy instructions are only for dining venues, as that main focus is intestinal/food/body fluid-vector viruses, not upper respiratory viruses or bacteria). If the "flu" going around you saw (much more likely a severe Rhinovirus than influenza, based on how you describe the symptoms, by the way) is most likely a fluid/droplet-vector virus than a true airborne transmittable disease. Sure, covering will help reduce the distance the droplets will travel, but unless full sanitary coverage is used (into the arm, not the hands), the virus will still spread like wildfire as people touch countless surfaces with their hands (and in places like the atrium and theater, there are quite a few very porous surfaces which your hands will in turn touch, and in passing come near an entry point, most likely on your face.

But, yeah, it's the cruise line's fault for not believing your layman assessment of what's going on and how best to prevent it.

Sorry if I am trying to prevent the spreading of germs .As far as being a layman that is not how I would classify myself .

thing i dont get is why someone would go on a cruise when people annoy them.. better off buying a boat or ship and sailing alone..

The thrill I get from getting a chair from a hog is the same some folks get from posting negative thoughts on message boards. They just enjoy the misery the way some of us enjoy being happy.

We all get our kicks one way or another.

Wow thanks for this thread. We're taking a 14 night cruise in Feb. Was getting seriously worried about the reviews coming in. I'm definitely one to take negative reviews on here with a pinch of salt, but honest to goodness there seemed so many!

However the most positive reviews I've seen seem to be in the haven.

Has anyone taken a long cruise NOT in the haven and liked it? We just have an angled balcony cabin for the fortnight

i was in angled 13290 in december with a full cabin. the 2 kids loved going out even in the colder weather. and my friend was a night owl and out there 2 am cause she couldnt sleep most nights. all enjoyed that extra space.

from perspective of being with kids that were not going to the kids clubs, we had a hard time finding stuff for them to do on the bad weather days. on great days they had tons of fun outside. A+ rating for fun factor on BA. ive never been on more than 7 nites and dont know if i could deal with 14 on any ship, but id like to try.

to me the ship didnt seem so big after a few days and on my 2nd trip it didnt seem big at all. maybe because i knew my way around!

i was in angled 13290 in december with a full cabin. the 2 kids loved going out even in the colder weather. and my friend was a night owl and out there 2 am cause she couldnt sleep most nights. all enjoyed that extra space.

from perspective of being with kids that were not going to the kids clubs, we had a hard time finding stuff for them to do on the bad weather days. on great days they had tons of fun outside. A+ rating for fun factor on BA. ive never been on more than 7 nites and dont know if i could deal with 14 on any ship, but id like to try.

to me the ship didnt seem so big after a few days and on my 2nd trip it didnt seem big at all. maybe because i knew my way around!

Thanks for the info Im excited for the angled balcony lol 13870.

Hopefully it's not too long for me. My daughter will be in Splash Academy fingers crossed. She'll be 4.

Two questions: what are the soda options like? There's a bunch of said I can't have so I am hoping to have a large variety[emoji4] second: I read somewhere that there is a margaritaville on the ship...this true?

Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Mt. Dew, Ginger Ale, Tonic water, Club Soda are available at the bars/restaurants.

The ship does have a Margaritaville, the beverage package works there....but the food is extra and isn't included in the dining package.

Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville at Sea

Quit searchin' for your lost shaker of salt, it’s right here at Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville at Sea, only on Norwegian Cruise Line. Take a bite out of paradise with signature items like the Cheeseburger in Paradise. Sip on a Who’s to Blame Margarita. Or sit back and groove along to island-inspired music at this specialty dining venue. Inspired by the lyrics and lifestyle of Jimmy Buffett, this isn’t just a restaurant. It’s a state of mind.

• Price Per Person: À la carte