Do I need reservations to dive in Cozumel?

Marietta

We will be in Cozumel next week from 8 - 4 and were wondering if we need to make reservations for a 2 tank morning dive or if we can get one when we get there. Or is it just better to book with the ship (Carnival Freedom is only $85). We are pretty new at this, but just took our refresher so are really excited to get back into open water. Any Suggestions or Recommendations?

you need reservations.

MOST dive ops in Cozumel go out for 2-tank morning dives between 7-9am. Then some do afternoon dives, usually just 1 tank, going out between 1-2pm.

The reefs for diving in Cozumel are south on the island, and they require boats to go 20-60 minutes from town depending on which reef.

So unless you have a party to fill a boat (most dive ops require 4-6 people), you need to go out when they are scheduled. This is usually hard for cruise ship passengers as arrival times don't usually match up with boat schedules.

Your best bet, in Cozumel, is to book through our cruise line. They will have a boat reserved with the dive op, which is SandDollar for all cruise ships.

Some dive ops will take reservations but you have to go at their time schedule. I am sure you will get recommendations here,, but you need to contact them ahead of time.

Cozumel diving is amazing..... but from a cruise ship it can be very difficult.

Google is your friend . . .

There are many, many dive ops in Cozumel. Many have websites with contact information and many have US telephone numbers. Get in touch with several, tell them when you'll arrive and what ship you'll be on. You might be amazed at how they can make things happen for you.

Thanks for all the help. I don't know if I have time to arrange a trip before we leave tomorrow, so it looks like we'll be going with the ship if I don't. Next time I'll be sure to start sooner. :)