Island Princess Aug 2/17: Is there an early train from Whittier to Anchorage?

edp-70

My family is sailing the northbound Island Princess Alaska cruise on Aug 2, 2017. I am looking for a train transfer from the port in Whittier to Anchorage.

When I searched Alaska Railroad, they have the perfect domed train but it leaves Whittier daily at 6:45 p.m. I would love to catch a train earlier in the day and have more time in Anchorage as we are leaving the next morning.

My family is sailing the northbound Island Princess Alaska cruise on Aug 2, 2017. I am looking for a train transfer from the port in Whittier to Anchorage.

When I searched Alaska Railroad, they have the perfect domed train but it leaves Whittier daily at 6:45 p.m. I would love to catch a train earlier in the day and have more time in Anchorage as we are leaving the next morning.

I believe Princess does coaches to Anchorage for disembarkation transfers.

It looks like ARR only has the one S/B train down in the morning which arrives at 12:05pm then it remains there in Whittier and becomes the 6:45pm NB departure.

Call ARR and ask if they are aware of a N/B Princess train that is earlier.

I believe Princess does coaches to Anchorage for disembarkation transfers.

It looks like ARR only has the one S/B train down in the morning which arrives at 12:05pm then it remains there in Whittier and becomes the 6:45pm NB departure.

Call ARR and ask if they are aware of a N/B Princess train that is earlier.

Yeah, I called Princess and they only offer coaches upon debarkation from Whittier to Anchorage, not trains. Their only train option appears to be the Cruise-Tours package.

Is ARR the only game in town in terms of train options? While my family loves the idea of sitting back and relaxing on a train taking in the scenery with drink in hand, waiting until 6:45 p.m. doesn't appeal to us.

Yeah, I called Princess and they only offer coaches upon debarkation from Whittier to Anchorage, not trains. Their only train option appears to be the Cruise-Tours package.

Is ARR the only game in town in terms of train options? While my family loves the idea of sitting back and relaxing on a train taking in the scenery with drink in hand, waiting until 6:45 p.m. doesn't appeal to us.

For a rail trip yes.

We always try and book the S/B cruise because of this reason and the flight times from Anchorage.

When we do Alaska we always take the morning train to Whittier for our cruise. It's a beautiful trip in either direction.

I would not want to wait until 6:45pm either. :(

The northbound cruisetour train leaves Whittier around sunup in September (maybe 7AM) and does stop at the train depot in Anchorage, but not sure if you can book transfers that way. People got on at the depot for Talkeetna and Denali. There were non-Princess cars on the train but they take you through a canvas tunnel and you can't see if anyone is boarding other cars.

You may want to look at 2 of the boat rides in Whittier to glaciers and then catching that later train. Much more scenic than what Anchorage offers!

The northbound cruisetour train leaves Whittier around sunup in September (maybe 7AM) and does stop at the train depot in Anchorage, but not sure if you can book transfers that way. People got on at the depot for Talkeetna and Denali. There were non-Princess cars on the train but they take you through a canvas tunnel and you can't see if anyone is boarding other cars.

Thanks Lee. I called Princess and I am not able to piggyback on the cruise tour train. My only princess-arranged port to airport option is motor coach.

There are private companies that will transfer you from Whittier to Anchorage (I just googled "Whittier to Anchorage transfers"). Another option is renting a vehicle from Avis. The one way rental is not cheap but it gives you the most flexibility.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

There are private companies that will transfer you from Whittier to Anchorage (I just googled "Whittier to Anchorage transfers"). Another option is renting a vehicle from Avis. The one way rental is not cheap but it gives you the most flexibility.

Yes, many private options including rental car, shuttle or motor coach. I've done the same search. :)

I was hoping for a train ride, but the only option for that appears to be a 6:45 pm departure from Whittier daily.

Here's some hope for you...Princess offered a train transfer every year we did this exact cruise! They didn't release it for booking until the spring, though! We were attached to one of the CruiseTour trains. So hang in there, and hopefully they'll do the same thing again. The last time we did it was a few years ago. The train transfer is a gorgeous ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

Here's some hope for you...Princess offered a train transfer every year we did this exact cruise! They didn't release it for booking until the spring, though! We were attached to one of the CruiseTour trains. So hang in there, and hopefully they'll do the same thing again. The last time we did it was a few years ago. The train transfer is a gorgeous ride!

Cruise Queen, that would be fantastic news! Was it specifically the one-way from Whittier Port to Anchorage? And what time was it? When I called Princess last week, they said they only have a motor coach transfer, unless we're continuing on with a cruise-tour. Is it Princess railcars on the 6:45 Alaska Rail daily one way trip? Thanks!