Onboard credit rate in UK

Trixie21

Just checked with the call centre and they are offering $100 for every £80 - so around 1.25 dollars to pound. Usually they offer a premium (maybe to encourage on board spending !) but this is the same you can get on line more or less, so..... disappointing. It was 1.40 last Summer and around 1.60 a couple of years ago. Great time for all our American friends to visit UK, not so good the other way round.

We're not sailing until September but I bought £200 of dollars at $1.40 last summer while the rate was high. I rang RCI and asked what the rate was ($1.40) and they handled the transaction. I received written confirmation of my purchase from RCI by email but it just shows that I bought £200 worth of onboard credit and not how many dollars that equates to. My worry is that RCI will apply it to my onboard account at the current rate of exchange and not what it was when I purchased it.

I've asked my travel agent to check for me and to get an updated invoice but they keep hitting a brick wall with RCI. All they ever issue is a statement saying that I have purchased £200 of onboard credit. An updated invoice via RCI again just shows £200 purchased. Ringing them direct was a nightmare, passed from pillar to post to eventually be told that they can't deal with me direct as I booked through a travel agent!

We're not sailing until September but I bought £200 of dollars at $1.40 last summer while the rate was high. I rang RCI and asked what the rate was ($1.40) and they handled the transaction. I received written confirmation of my purchase from RCI by email but it just shows that I bought £200 worth of onboard credit and not how many dollars that equates to. My worry is that RCI will apply it to my onboard account at the current rate of exchange and not what it was when I purchased it.

I've asked my travel agent to check for me and to get an updated invoice but they keep hitting a brick wall with RCI. All they ever issue is a statement saying that I have purchased £200 of onboard credit. An updated invoice via RCI again just shows £200 purchased. Ringing them direct was a nightmare, passed from pillar to post to eventually be told that they can't deal with me direct as I booked through a travel agent!

We had no problems with our OBC showing up in the correct amount.

We had purchased it at 1.10 and then the exchange went to 1.40 several months later. On board it showed up correctly.

It does seem like a bit of a leap of faith as there is little documentation but purchasing the OBC is no different that purchasing a specialty restaurant and having the price go up later, you will not be charged the new rate.

If you brought £200 at $1.40 to the pound that equals $280 that is what will be credited to your OBC when you board. August last year we added $500 to our OBC and that cost £350 shortly after the pound dropped when we board it was still the $500 that we expected.

Edited by BARNET