Bit of a Blog : Crown Princess : Buenos Aires - Valparaiso : February 1st 2017

NorbertsNiece

Unable to focus in on someone walking up there.

DSCN4260.jpg

DSCN4263.jpg

DSCN4264.jpg

The town of Qorihuayrachina is the 2nd starting point for the Inca Trail. (3 days 2 nights)

DSCN4265.jpg

I become quite fond of Coca tea

DSCN4267.jpg

Looks tasty.... I get an apple and a banana

DSCN4268.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

DSCN4269.jpg

DSCN4270.jpg

Up there is the archaeological site of Wiñaywayna (Forever Young), up on the left of the hill......

DSCN4271.jpg

Almost 2 hours after boarding : Aqua Calientes (Hot Water) / Machu Picchu station

DSCN4272.jpg

We are given our return bus tickets..... yeap..... not there yet..... there's a bus from the town centre to take us up to the site.

There's a covered market right at the station

DSCN4275.jpg

We have to cross the river

DSCN4276.jpg

DSCN4277.jpg

DSCN4278.jpg

Looks like we're not in Texas any more

DSCN4279.jpg

The next picture I have is at the entrance to the site. I didn't have a window seat heading up. I don't have one going back. Think Alpine. Think uneven. Think sheer drops. 20/25 minutes ish. A tad scary. And at speed. Local bus type transport.

DSCN4280.jpg

I am reliably informed that the Sun Gate is up there...... once the main entrance to Machu Picchu.... at least it's stopped raining.DSCN4282.jpg

DSCN4283.jpg

in 1911 Hiram Bingham announced the presence of Machu Picchu to the outside world. There are unsubstantiated claims from others that THEY had discovered and climbed it first..... of course the locals had known for many years that it was there..... Although originally believed to have been of religious significance, it was in fact a royal estate or summer home..... the switchback road up from the Urubamba river is called the Hiram Bingham Highway!

DSCN4284.jpg

That's the train station down there.......

DSCN4285.jpg

DSCN4286.jpg

The cloud is to come and go throughout.

DSCN4288.jpg

DSCN4289.jpg

It's at this point that I take off on my own. I'm aware that Rom will have plenty to say and is in fact heading down when I want to head up. I'm conscious that my stamina may be compromised by the 2,430m height and there's no way I'm not doing this..... hate double negatives... sorry. To the left is the Inca Bridge, the Guardhouse, the Sun Gate and Machu Picchu. To the right is Huayna Picchu (the river bends round it).

DSCN4290.jpg

Stunning! Machu Picchu is on my bucket list!

Oh Nancy, I thought I was a seasoned hiker having strolled around the Alps, actually at higher altitude!.

This was something else entirely!! Now when I see an incline when out walking the dog I say, "You climbed Machu Picchu you stupid woman and you're nervous about a bit of mud on a slope!"

Oh Nancy, I thought I was a seasoned hiker having strolled around the Alps, actually at higher altitude!.

This was something else entirely!! Now when I see an incline when out walking the dog I say, "You climbed Machu Picchu you stupid woman and you're nervous about a bit of mud on a slope!"

Impressive! Were you the only person in your tour group who went UP when the guide went down?

Sorry,there is a couple of small mistakes in your lovely review.There is no sea in buenos aires,is the river plate.And once,is not the most populous jewish quarter,it seems so because many jews in traditional garb live there,the most popular is belgrano,in the north part of the city,not that far from the small airport that you visited,in fact

Sorry,there is a couple of small mistakes in your lovely review.There is no sea in buenos aires,is the river plate.And once,is not the most populous jewish quarter,it seems so because many jews in traditional garb live there,the most popular is belgrano,in the north part of the city,not that far from the small airport that you visited,in fact

No need to apologise. Always happy to be corrected. :D