Cruise Fare prices differ from beginning to end by hundreds...

choirgirl1987

So, I'm looking at some cruises on NCL. I choose a fare for $740, and when I'm checking out the cruise fare is now $1109 for both my husband and I (and then of course another $140 for port fees and such). On another cruise, a similar but lesser occurrence with a fare of $599 going to $749...

Why does this happen?

(If it matters, both were 7 day East Caribbean cruises)

It's all about the date.

Prices are advertised and promoted as "starting from" or "as low as" for a particular ship and itinerary. You will find certain voyages within that group with the advertised price, and many which are higher.

Spring break, summer break, holidays, and other peak seasons will drive those prices. This is not at all unique to NCL.

You may also see an increase to the final price after the "NCL tax" for promotions is added. Remember that if you choose the "free" beverage package, or "free" dining package, you are charged an additional 18% of the retail value of those packages. This amount is added to your final price.

Edited by triptolemus

It's all about the date.

Prices are advertised and promoted as "starting from" or "as low as" for a particular ship and itinerary. You will find certain voyages within that group with the advertised price, and many which are higher.

Spring break, summer break, holidays, and other peak seasons will drive those prices. This is not at all unique to NCL.

You may also see an increase to the final price after the "NCL tax" for promotions is added. Remember that if you choose the "free" beverage package, or "free" dining package, you are charged an additional 18% of the retail value of those packages. This amount is added to your final price.

Yes, I get that, but I am choosing an inside room for $599 or a balcony for $740, and then when I'm finagling it's saying the cruise fare is the new price. No other choices being made at all. (I pick the room, add our info, and then on the payment page these prices appear)

Did your booking include a Free at Sea promotion? If so, did you choose Specialty Dining or the beverage package? Both of these packages will add in gratuities to your total.

No, neither were with a package of anything, just the room (one was inside and one was balcony)

Yes, I get that, but I am choosing an inside room for $599 or a balcony for $740, and then when I'm finagling it's saying the cruise fare is the new price. No other choices being made at all. (I pick the room, add our info, and then on the payment page these prices appear)

What, specifically, are you trying to book where this happens?

So, I'm looking at some cruises on NCL. I choose a fare for $740, and when I'm checking out the cruise fare is now $1109 for both my husband and I (and then of course another $140 for port fees and such). On another cruise, a similar but lesser occurrence with a fare of $599 going to $749...

Why does this happen?

(If it matters, both were 7 day East Caribbean cruises)

Probably happening because the lowest fare is for an inside guarantee, on a specific date, and you are either changing the date or the cabin category. Based on the other mentions above it is probably the date that is causing the difference.

Edited by zqvol

What, specifically, are you trying to book where this happens?

The trip. So my process is :

1. Found a cruise and picked a date.

2. Chose room type (inside for one and balcony for the other one).

3. Picked room number (inside room cost $599, balcony $740)

4. Put in guest info (me and my husband)

5. Then I'm on the payment page where total cost including port fees and such are listed. The cruise fare now says the higher costs, and then there is a port fee of $140ish per person as well.

I'm confused why I'm choosing an inside room at 599 then magically there's the cruise fare for 749 plus the $140 for taxes and port fees...

You should probably enlist the services of either a TA or a PCC. They will handle the booking...and answer your questions...at NO CHARGE TO YOU. TAs and PCCs also have the ability to give you a better deal...they can combine promotions where allowed (something you can not do on the website) and some TAs will even give you amenities not offered by PCCs or via the website.