Travelscoot .?. Smartscoot .?. Travelscoot .?. Smart

ProfessorEFFE

Thanks for the report. I'm starting to worry whether my Triaxe Sport will make it up the ramp to the ship. I need to find some steep ramps locally and try it. (It has a lot of speed but I don't know if that translates to power.)

The Triaxe Sport is only rated to handle a Maximum Gradient ( rate of ascending an incline) of 18 Degrees. Therefore power is may not be the issue . Rather the degree of the angle of gangway relative to the length of the gangway is the determining factor .

Additionally at Triaxe Sport does not have an automatic safety that disengages the motor when the degree of incline exceeds the scooter's maximum gradient capacity such as are on most of all models of Pride scooters. Therefore forcing the scooter up a gangway that has an incline degree greater than the scooter can handle can damage the motor.

For what it's worth last September I cruised to Alaska. More often than not the portable scooters could not ascend the gangway as the angle was too steep. If the person could not walk than the cruise line transferred them into a wheelchair and a crew member freewheeled the scooter onto the ship.

Hope you have better luck.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Took the SmartScoot to Lowes for her initial Launch. If you've ever been to Lowes before and ridden their carts then you know they are bulky and slow. The SmartScoot is much more nimble, they have disabled the annoying beep when you reverse. The first speed selector runs slightly faster than the Lowes cart. All in all I like this scooter more and more as I drive it. I am building a little tool kit, with the 4 allen wrenches they sent with the scooter and some small metric wrenches to carry along as well then maybe a small vice grip. I think this will make an effective emergency tool kit.

As far as angles go I think an incline of 5 degrees is the max on this scooter. From a dead stop I cannot ascend my driveway. The front wheel just spins. Leaning over it to get more traction does not work in this case. But entering the drive way at a modest speed, leaning forward, and in second speed selection I ascended with ease. So I am guessing I need to learn and perfect some driving techniques.

As far as fitting this beast into a car/SUV etc. This bad boy is a bit awkward to maneuver into the back of a Buick encore. After several attempts I can get it in there slicker than snot on a chicken's lip. So everything is becoming a learning experience.

I have adjusted the brakes. When I initially went down that driveway the brake did not stop the machine. A little Freddy Flintstone action along with the brake and I stopped. So I looked up the manual directions on brake adjustment. I found out they changed a 10mm nut to an 8mm (minor thing). But once I did the adjustment a couple of times the brake now works just like I like it.

As far as the initial gangway climbing goes, I think I will plan on how to push this bad boy up, or have a crewman do it for me while I walk. The curves on some of the gangways are acute and you are not allowed to run over other passengers on Cruiselines :rolleyes: But overall I really like this scooter. It will easily fit into a small inside cabin. I think breaking it down to a minimum might be a storage option if you feel comfortable doing that.

I am not maligning any brand of scooter just trying to get my impressions out on this one. IF I were king of the world I would have a much bigger and more powerful scooter at a lower cost than the TravelScoot. However those bad boys are not so easy to haul around. I think that this scooter and the TravelScoot are perfect for being really portable.

More to come. I try this out in downtown Tampa soon.

I am having that same dilemma on getting my Triaxe Sport aboard. Found a reasonably steep section of parking lot yesterday and tried to get up it on the scooter. No go. And there is NO way I could walk up the gangplank, and I'm not sure how "pushable" my scooter is. I may have to send the scooter aboard with the luggage and just use my wheelchair until the luggage makes it to the cabin - not ideal but I will still have the use of the scooter for the rest of the cruise.

I am having that same dilemma on getting my Triaxe Sport aboard. Found a reasonably steep section of parking lot yesterday and tried to get up it on the scooter. No go. And there is NO way I could walk up the gangplank, and I'm not sure how "pushable" my scooter is. I may have to send the scooter aboard with the luggage and just use my wheelchair until the luggage makes it to the cabin - not ideal but I will still have the use of the scooter for the rest of the cruise.

The Triaxe really isn't "pushable." The fact it's a folding scooter it can be pulled up the gangway by using the front bar which is basically the luggage holder. The crew will than transfer you to a wheelchair . Fast forward to the 1:13 second mark of this link

You could try only folding down the back of the seat so it doesn't scrape the ground rather than fully collapsing the scooter to freewheel it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a SmartScoot and used it for the first time on the Coral Princess last December. In terms of fitting it through the stateroom door, it goes through perfectly, but you have to drive it in as straight as possible.

As far as going up and down the gangway, it depends on the port. If it was fairly level, I was able to drive it off/on. If there was an incline/decline, they either let me stay seated while the disability assistance crew pushed me on/off, or I got off and they pushed the scooter up/down. Didn't experience a problem when we had to tender, probably because they utilized a ferry instead of the emergency boats.

In general, I love my Smart Scoot, as it has been a life saver. Every time I'm out and about, it's an eye catcher and always get asked about it. Pros: Lightweight, fast, long battery range, single bar foundation (easy to get on and off compared to Travelscoot's triangle bar), rear wheels are adjustable for stability, front wheel drive makes turning effortless, 4lb battery makes it easy to carry on the plane, and charges quick. Cons: No security feature (no key, because it's so light and a key won't stop anyone from picking it up or pushing it away, unless you use a bike chain), disc brake is exposed and might get damaged, especially when stored away by the airline, and when in reverse it emits a high pitch alarm, so I prefer to reverse like Fred Flinstone!

PS - IMO, Princess was very in tune and accommodating with assistance for passengers with disabilities, during embarkation, debarkation, while on the ship, and even at the Horizon Court (buffet). I was quite impressed, and grateful for their service.

norcalnick,

Good observations and I agree with what you have posted. As far as a switch is concerned, the key switch isn't much of a deterrent. They are easily bypassed or replaced.

Have you any experience with the TravelScoot?

True, in my experience so far, I've never left my scooter unattended, and if it does get stolen, I believe in karma!

I have not experienced the TravelScoot, but would love to have the opportunity.

True, in my experience so far, I've never left my scooter unattended, and if it does get stolen, I believe in karma!

I have not experienced the TravelScoot, but would love to have the opportunity.

I have a Travelscoot that I purchased a few years ago and I have travelled extensively with it. It has been on many cruises and to China and Dubai and the Taj Mahal etc. and spends winters in Mexico. Has a lot of Aeroplan points. Crowds in India gathered around it all the time. A rare commodity there.

I bought a secure lock with the Travelscoot (long cable type) but the battery ran out after about 2 years (I had never used it even once so I didn't buy another one). (My husband and I were in the same room as the scooter and the lock in the travel bag, and we kept hearing beeping noises and could not figure out where they were coming from - it was the lock running out of power. Glad it did not happen on the plane!

In an airport (I think it was Delhi) they confiscated my tool kit. Said it was not allowed and would not allow me to take it on the plane in my carry-on. I have since learned that it should have been allowed so you might want to check the regulations. Mine only had Alan keys in a small pouch. How dangerous!:(

mexico8

I guess your post pretty much sums up that the TravelScoot held up quite well! That's great to hear and I hope the SmartScoot will do the same.

I am building a small tool kit for mine. I hate packing tools in checked baggage. And as you said yours were just allen wrenches and they had a fit. I'd hate to lose the tools! Maybe I can get a pouch sewn into the seat front to store them.

Thanks for your input!

The tool kit on the Travelscoot is attached to the scooter and they took the Allen keys from that pouch. Don't know what you could do to prevent them trying to take them but you could print the regulations that say mobility devices are allowed to have the tool kit. I don't remember where I saw that but you could google it.

My husband put together a small tool kit for my scooter and put it in our checked luggage. When our bag never showed up in our cabin, we discovered that it had been put in the "naughty room". As we actually had some things in our bag that perhaps we shouldn't have, we got a bit concerned. My husband went down and security pointed at the bag and asked him what was in there. He reached in and took out our little tool kit and explained it was to repair my scooter. They examined it and decided that a few Allan wrenches and a pliers wouldn't hurt anyone and let him take the bag. We had a toast later in our cabin. :halo:

That being said, the tool kit that I have in my travel wheelchair pouch is almost always pulled aside for scrutiny when flying. They let us take it but I can see that it is with great hesitation.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had my travelscoot for 9 or so years and continue to be quite pleased with the distance (about 8 miles per charge) and durability of the scooter. I am also pleased to have a collapsible scooter that is lightweight. The only problem I have noted is that the seat is uncomfortable for long term sitting. That said, if I was buying again today I would seriously consider the "Firefly" attachment that turns a standard wheelchair into a scooter. I think it would much more comfortable to sit in a wheelchair.

Recovering isn't necessarily the issue. The 18" seat on my Triaxe, although the widest they offer, is uncomfortably narrow. I use a Purple folding cushion on it, which helps some, but it still isn't what I would call comfortable. I consider that an acceptable tradeoff for being able to get around independently.

I'd never heard of the Firefly and won't be able to convince DH that I need one at that price. ;) Especially since I still wouldn't be able to get it in and out of the car without assistance (I can't unload and load my wc either). Sure would tempt me if I had unlimited money, though!

katisdale,

As a former biker I can assure you that the seat could be recovered and feeling like a million bucks. There are a lot of gel alternatives that can be sewn in.

I did have my seat recovered with extra padding but it still isn't the most comfortable seat.

Interesting thread. My husband purchased a scooter last year. He has a Tzora Classic. It folds, and weighs 51 lbs (without battery) when folded. It also comes apart into 2 pieces (25 lbs and 26 lbs) which allows me to put it in the back of our SUV. We have flown and cruised with it. It has a full seat with arms. It's front wheel drive, and goes about 8 to 10 miles on a charge. He's loving it so far. It can stall going up a steep ramp to board ship, but I just need to push a little from behind and it makes it. Re: flying - We checked it once with luggage without its cover, and it got pretty scratched up. Checked it another time with its cover, and the cover now has holes in it. Best bet...gate check it!

Jane

Edited by Lady Jane
typo

Lady Jane,

The Travelscoot site states that they recommend that you do a gate check instead of checking the scooter as baggage. Interestingly because of the same things that happened to you. Baggage handlers are are not gentle folk. :evilsmile:

I purchased a Smartscoot online from the manufacturer, Innovative Mobility Products, in October 2016 in time for my Transatlantic cruise If I have to use a scooter, I love this one. Having the 3 speed options is great. Gate checking my scooter, and retrieving it at the door of the plane was easy and so convenient. Just remember to slow down when turning. That being said, the turning circle is incredible, and if you slow your speed right down and turn the steering column completely to the left or right, it's like turning it on its axis. My husband can easily load and unload my Smartscoot from my car, but I cannot. I've installed a Bruno Curbsider hoist into the cargo hold of my small SUV, and now I am completely independent whenever I'm on my own.

I do not recommend that you check your Smartscoot either with the airline or the cruise luggage porters. Always gate check it and ride it to the plane door. You don't want to risk having it damaged, especially the motor and breaks. Ride your Smartscoot to the embarkation ramp. At that point, depending on the incline, staff will help push you up, or they will push your empty scooter up the ramp while you are pushed in a wheelchair.

jasm8449,

When you checked it in @ the airport gate did you lower the handlebars to the seat or just leave it upright? Like you I found this scooter to be very controllable speed wise. The 3 speeds can be tricky if you take off in the highest setting the throttle is much more responsive than in the first speed. This scooter is pretty light for tubular stainless steel. I don't have a problem getting it in and out of our car. It's a bit awkward at first, but you get used to it.

I purchased a Smartscoot online from the manufacturer, Innovative Mobility Products, in October 2016 in time for my Transatlantic cruise If I have to use a scooter, I love this one. Having the 3 speed options is great. Gate checking my scooter, and retrieving it at the door of the plane was easy and so convenient. Just remember to slow down when turning. That being said, the turning circle is incredible, and if you slow your speed right down and turn the steering column completely to the left or right, it's like turning it on its axis. My husband can easily load and unload my Smartscoot from my car, but I cannot. I've installed a Bruno Curbsider hoist into the cargo hold of my small SUV, and now I am completely independent whenever I'm on my own.

I do not recommend that you check your Smartscoot either with the airline or the cruise luggage porters. Always gate check it and ride it to the plane door. You don't want to risk having it damaged, especially the motor and breaks. Ride your Smartscoot to the embarkation ramp. At that point, depending on the incline, staff will help push you up, or they will push your empty scooter up the ramp while you are pushed in a wheelchair.

Glad you're enjoying the Smartscoot! If I may ask, how much was the cost of the Bruno Curbsider, and installation? First time I've heard of it, and might be interested. Thanks in advance!

When we get to the gate of the plane I get off the scooter and 'cane' it to my seat. My DH collapses the steering column and places the handlebar end under the seat. He then winds a Velcro strap around the steering column and the bottom bar, to keep the steering column from moving around. (I keep the Velcro strap permanently wrapped around the bottom bar so it's always there when needed). Then he just folds the seat back down o really the seat. I always have a luggage tag with my ID and itinerary attached to the handlebar when gate checking the scooter. He removes the battery and carries it on board in this:

https://www.amazon.com/HOBBYTIGER-Retardant-Charging-Zippered-215x155x115mm/dp/B01D88ICDM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1492117525&sr=8-4&keywords=Battery+bag

Sent from my iPad using Forums