Port Canaveral as a port of call (not departure)

DonnaK

Most of the information on this board is for cruises originating/ending in Port Canaveral.

We are arriving on Anthem at 12 noon and leaving at 9pm.

What are some fun, low impact, things we can do?

(Not really interested in going to Disney or to Cocoa Beach)

You will dock at Terminal 1 meaning you have easy access to the SCAT (cheap local bus system) as well as the Port restaurant area and even Jetty Park (beach). At the port there are segway tours and a trolley do drive you as far as Ron Jon.

But if the beach or Kennedy Space Center do not interest you then there are wildlife excursions by kayak, SUP, pontoon boats and air boats (alligators and birds).

You can also bike around the area (easy flat bike paths) and only $10 - $15 per bike.

You can rent a car and visit other attractions as far away as Orlando but it depends on your interests?

Thank you Joe. Where does the SCAT bus system take you? an we walk to Jetty Park? Do we need to book things like the Segway tour or the airboat ahead of time, or are there vendors on the pier, or do we need to book them through the cruiseship?

You will dock at Terminal 1 meaning you have easy access to the SCAT (cheap local bus system) as well as the Port restaurant area and even Jetty Park (beach). At the port there are segway tours and a trolley do drive you as far as Ron Jon.

But if the beach or Kennedy Space Center do not interest you then there are wildlife excursions by kayak, SUP, pontoon boats and air boats (alligators and birds).

You can also bike around the area (easy flat bike paths) and only $10 - $15 per bike.

You can rent a car and visit other attractions as far away as Orlando but it depends on your interests?

Hi Joe,

I was just looking for more info on transportation from the ship to Cocoa beach also and ran across this thread.

The ship has an excursion to the Florida beer company and then notes a shuttle that includes stops at Cocoa Beach Surf Company (the beach) and Historic Cocoa Village for $34.00.

I'm wondering if that is the way to go or to do it on my own using SCAT?

Thanks for your help :D

You both have excellent questions!

I will put together a little info package about the SCAT and the important stops (the beer stop, etc.) which you can easily do for $1.50 pp per leg!

Once done I will post it here probably later tonight.

In the meantime, click below for:

1. A Google map so you can see the points of interests and the SCAT route marked in red (note the bus travels anti-clockwise in a one direction loop).

2. A more detailed summary of shore activities during stopovers

Edited by SteerageJoe

As promised, here is a summary of things you can do while riding the cheap SCAT bus from Port Canaveral cruise terminals 1 and 3 down to Cocoa Beach Pier and Ron Jon.

• Liquor Stores, pharmacies, banks (ATMs) and grocery stores
  • Unique shops
  • Swimming beaches for tanning, surf lessons and bike rentals
  • Local breweries and popular beach-side bars/restaurants
  • Adventures such as zip line fun, mini golf and escape challenges

The details of each activity are simply too long to post here.

So for more information about these activities as well as a SCAT map with clear directions and timing of the stops, please visit Explore with SCAT

SCAT-Bus-web.jpg

something to keep in mind about SCAT ..... 1 bus every 30 minutes .....

+++++++++++

unlike the islands, vendors can not hang out on the pier and hawk tours ..... not in my experience anyway. I worked at the zoo for a time and the hurdles a company had to go thru to get approved to run tours to the zoo were high and many. By the time all requirements were met the cost had got up to 300% of what a DIY trip costs.

What is the best way to get to Cocoa Village? Taxi or bus? I think they said it is 21 minutes away from the port by car. We will be on the Anthem next month.

Uber will cost about $23 plus tip each way and it will take about 21 minutes or so.

The SCAT bus will take 40 minutes (basically twice as long) for $1.50 pp. You have to take the #9 (tell the driver you need a transfer pass) and #4 buses (transfer at Shepard Park Pizza Hut stop). Get the transfer ticket as you exit #9 then hop onto #4.

You could take the bus down to Shepard park (only 15 minutes or so) then Uber from there to Cocoa Village ($14) and back to Shepard before returning on the bus. This will save $5 - not really worth it.

How much is the ship shore excursion to Cocoa Village?

Edited by SteerageJoe