Beagle Channel Tour in Ushuaia, Argentina

ussminnow

Hello!

Has anyone done Princess' tour of the Beagle Channel in the port of Ushuaia, Argentina? If so, would you mind providing some feedback? Is it worth it? Or did you see similar sights from onboard the ship while sailing into the Beagle Channel? Trying to decide whether to do that tour or spend the day in Tierra Del Fuego National Park.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Keep in mind that the weather changes quickly and boat excursions are the first thing canceled.

We were on the Crown Princess in late December and had planned a private small boat excursion of the Beagle Channel scheduled for 2 pm. As we sailed into Ushuaia around noon the waters looked calm but by 2 pm it was quite choppy and getting worse. The Princess excursions had gone out already and when friends returned they said it was very unpleasant and, in their minds, dangerous. Our private excursion decided to cancel with full refunds. They also offered an alternative (and cheaper) guided tour of the National Park which a dozen of us took them up on. The scenery in the park is breathtaking. It was a very nice excursion and our guide was first rate. By the time we returned to the ship the wind was really blowing and our departure was delayed for hours (about 5 if I remember correctly) because the wind was pushing the ship into the dock.

We took the Princess Beagle Channel excursion on Jan. 24. It was OK, but nothing to rave about. The tour is conducted from a nice boat with plenty of indoor seating and outdoor standing room. The walls are all clear glass, including overhead, so you have good views from just about anywhere on the boat. You go to three different island locations and drifted by colonies of sea lions and cormorants. No Penguins.

The weather was choppy seas, but not dangerous, although the wind also delayed our departure of the Crown from Ushuaia for a few hours until around midnight. I know two weeks prior the Crown was pinned for over eight hours and missed rounding the Horn.

Given your alternative, I would say visit Tierra Del Fuego. You will have opportunities in other ports to see sea lion colonies and cormorants.

• 2 weeks later...

I did both.

Beagle Channel excursion is lovely when you do it with a small ship that get very closed to the penguins. Is windy.

If you are tired from navigations may be you won´t like it but is again a navigation ending at a penguin islands. I was so sad I didn´t stop at those islands but some friends told me that there are excursions (check tour agencies )that can stop and give you time to enjoy with penguins.

National Park. I like the history of that place and the old train. Is a nice trip. Full of history and a nice sightseeing.

Are different. Depend on you.

I booked all in advance but you can also book them there once you arrive if you plan well your time.

TANGO BOAT is a small company that is very nice to do this more private tours. (liz2arg@yahoo.com)

I did a Beagle channel cruise as a large portion of our Roll Call had booked it. While it was nice it was petty much the same sights we saw from the cruise ship except closer. Afterwards I always wished I had done one of the National Park tours.

Hello!

Has anyone done Princess' tour of the Beagle Channel in the port of Ushuaia, Argentina? If so, would you mind providing some feedback? Is it worth it? Or did you see similar sights from onboard the ship while sailing into the Beagle Channel? Trying to decide whether to do that tour or spend the day in Tierra Del Fuego National Park.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We loved it. Seeing the wildlife colonies up close was great. Maybe it was luck, but the water was calm the day we went. The boat was nice, and had plenty of places to be on the outside for photo taking.

Edited by flamomo
photo filed to upload

We loved it. Seeing the wildlife colonies up close was great. Maybe it was luck, but the water was calm the day we went. The boat was nice, and had plenty of places to be on the outside for photo taking.

I tried to add photos to this post, but they wouldn't upload, Sorry!

I happily endorse the wildlife cruise. The up-close views of the seals and cormorants (which look and act like penguins) in their natural environment were a special experience. The boat has seating inside and out, so you can do either or both depending on the weather. Our planned stop at the Falklands (Jan. 2017) was cancelled, so we were very pleased to at least have had this excursion.