NCL's Misty Fjords Wilderness boat tour

mickeysgal

Trying to firm up our excusion plans in Ketchican. I'm traveling with three others who are not interested in Misty Fjords by floatplane. I tried to convince them, as this was my favorite excursion during our Alaska cruise, but its an

unanimous no by all the others. However, NCL has a Misty Fiords boat tour they offer called MISTY FJORDS & WILDERNESS EXPLORER. It's pricey. Worth it? Is there an independent company that can be recommended?

Allen Marine runs the tour. Not sure if it can be booked independently.

Most who have done the flight vs the boat, prefer the flight. The scenery for the boat ride is great for the middle 1/3 of the trip. Getting there and getting back is very similar to scenery from the ship.

We did this excursion last year on NCL Jewel. We loved it and highly recommend it. Very relaxing and enjoyable. Boat was clean and comfortable. Very knowledgeable guides onboard. Restroom facilities on board and a snack bar. Provided binoculars for your use while onboard and a complimentary drink and snack.

Allen Marine runs the tour. Not sure if it can be booked independently.

Most who have done the flight vs the boat, prefer the flight. The scenery for the boat ride is great for the middle 1/3 of the trip. Getting there and getting back is very similar to scenery from the ship.

We dock at 6am, so we probably will miss most of the scenery coming into port, so maybe the first 1/3 of this boat trip will be new scenery to us.

Everything in Alaska is pricey. lol

If you can wait until May, I can give you my input. ;) We are on the 5/21 sailing of the Pearl and this is the only tour all 6 of us are taking together.

We are on that cruise as well! Did you book it already?

How about splitting up - letting them choose what they want to do & you taking another flight?

As much as I loved that float plane tour and would like to do it again, I need to stay with my mother and aunt...they are very limited in their mobility and tend to be a fish out of water in new areas....it would make them too nervous to be left alone. So, trying to find a fun excursion that doesn't involve a lot of walking.

The only other thing I can find is booking a taxi cab service for a local tour. Stopping at Tongass would be a no also...as they just can't walk much distance at all.

Yes we have booked it. I don't mind seeing the same scenery twice (or 3 times, counting coming back lol) when it's so gorgeous. SIL and I are also wheelchair users, this is one of the few tours that claims to be accessible. My camera and I are ready!

What cabin are you in? We are in an accessible aft balcony mini-suite on deck 11.

Yes we have booked it. I don't mind seeing the same scenery twice (or 3 times, counting coming back lol) when it's so gorgeous. SIL and I are also wheelchair users, this is one of the few tours that claims to be accessible. My camera and I are ready!

What cabin are you in? We are in an accessible aft balcony mini-suite on deck 11.

My aunt and cousin have an accessible balcony on 10,, my mother and I have a mini suite on 11.

Would love to see an aft mini suite open up...watching very carefully so we could possibly switch.

You're going to love your aft view...it's my favorite.

It's such a big balcony, too! Someone in the "SF" thread posted a photo of the rear view of the Pearl so I could see what will be my balcony! Will be quite cozy in a mini suite with 4 people, but our 2 grown kids want to come along badly enough to put up with the close quarters.

To get back to the tour ;) it's described as having a snack bar on the boat. I wonder what kind of food it serves, and how bad the prices are? Maybe someone who has taken the tour could jump in and tell us. I'm thinking this would be a good sitatuon to bring some granola or cereal bars along on.

This tour is wheelchair accessible. We did it last September and watched them bringing people in wheelchairs onboard.

To get back to the tour ;) it's described as having a snack bar on the boat. I wonder what kind of food it serves, and how bad the prices are? Maybe someone who has taken the tour could jump in and tell us. I'm thinking this would be a good sitatuon to bring some granola or cereal bars along on.

I did the tour where it was a combination flight and cruise. So we boarded the boat half way through but there were people already on the boat who were doing it round trip.

The food was complimentary but served for a limited time (not the entire trip). There were 2 soups (one was chili), cheese and crackers and a salmon spread and then coffee and hot chocolate. They may have had drinks for longer than food, I don't remember.

Bunny, that is great to hear! How did they do it? Did they get rolled on via a ramp, or was there a lift, or something else?

As I recall it was a ramp. It was actually a very short distance from where our cruise ship docked to get to the loading point. Not sure where you guys will be docking.

As I recall it was a ramp. It was actually a very short distance from where our cruise ship docked to get to the loading point. Not sure where you guys will be docking.

"Short distance" is a relative term. Do you perhaps remember about how far? I'm traveling with my mother and aunt where any distance can be a challenge. This is one of the things I need to look into ...how to get to this boat for the tour. Thanks.

"Short distance" is a relative term. Do you perhaps remember about how far? I'm traveling with my mother and aunt where any distance can be a challenge. This is one of the things I need to look into ...how to get to this boat for the tour. Thanks.

The slip where the Misty Fjord boat was located was directly next to the pier our ship docked on. We walked off the ship and across the pier and then across the street to the ramp. I was just looking at a picture my husband took of it. However, there is no guarantee that your ship will pull into that same space as there will probably be several ships in port at the same time.

Mickeysfal, you were asking how far your ship would be docked from the boat slip for the Misty Fjords excursion boat. The Alaska cruise ship schedule (here's the link) is only preliminary at this time, but reading it for May 26, actually the entire month, the Pearl is scheduled to be docked at Berth 3, which is the farthest dock from the Allen Marine slip. Here's a link to the City of Ketchikan's website, on which the docks are labeled. Allen Marine's boats dock very close to Pier 1, at the Daly Float, and that could be quite a trek for you.

Hopefully someone who is familiar with Ketchikan can confirm this (or tell me I can't read a map). ;)

I do hope you can go on this excursion. We have enjoyed it twice, in the mist and in the sun, and the fjords are really stunning. If you have already made your reservations, ask about the locations once you are on the ship, then cancel if it looks like it is too far for your group to travel.

Mickeysfal, you were asking how far your ship would be docked from the boat slip for the Misty Fjords excursion boat. The Alaska cruise ship schedule (here's the link) is only preliminary at this time, but reading it for May 26, actually the entire month, the Pearl is scheduled to be docked at Berth 3, which is the farthest dock from the Allen Marine slip. Here's a link to the City of Ketchikan's website, on which the docks are labeled. Allen Marine's boats dock very close to Pier 1, at the Daly Float, and that could be quite a trek for you.

Hopefully someone who is familiar with Ketchikan can confirm this (or tell me I can't read a map). ;)

I do hope you can go on this excursion. We have enjoyed it twice, in the mist and in the sun, and the fjords are really stunning. If you have already made your reservations, ask about the locations once you are on the ship, then cancel if it looks like it is too far for your group to travel.

Oh boy...

I just got my group's ok to book...but will look more into this more thoroughly based on this.

Thank you so much!

Do the family members you are concerned about have wheelchairs? If not, you might consider renting them for the cruise, or even scooters (although I don't think scooters are allowed on the tour). Ship distances are really too much for anyone with mobility issues. Even my penny-pinching husband had no problem with me renting a scooter for our first cruise.

Do the family members you are concerned about have wheelchairs? If not, you might consider renting them for the cruise, or even scooters (although I don't think scooters are allowed on the tour). Ship distances are really too much for anyone with mobility issues. Even my penny-pinching husband had no problem with me renting a scooter for our first cruise.

My mother can walk, just not a mile or so...my aunt currently is on a walker. Yes, we are looking into wheelchairs.

Question - if this boat tour is docked so far away, don't the cruise lines usually have a shuttle to it? I believe the description says they'd have to walk 300 yards...this seems farther. I'll call NCL today.

Based on my experience cruising with limited mobility, I would suggest you also look into renting at least one scooter. Otherwise, you will be spending all your time helping your mother and aunt to get around and not be able to enjoy yourself. (I may be confusing messages but didn't you say your daughter was coming too? She may or may not be willing to help push relatives around, but still both of you would lose a LOT of time to pushing.) For instance, even on board, unless your rooms are right by a dining room, you will probably need to get your mother and aunt there and back, much less to an entertainment venue. You can rent a scooter that will be waiting in your cabin when you board and picked up by the company from your cabin afterward. Even if they share one scooter, if neither is up to walking someplace, you could always ride the scooter back to the room to let the other one use it - gotta be better than pushing or helping two people to a venue. You can get assistance from the airlines to help your relatives around the airport (just request it ahead of time, they will supply wheelchairs) and from the cruise line to embark and disembark ONLY (not at ports, and not on board). (you probably already know this, I just want to make sure you don't miss any available help and maybe someone else reading this thread doesn't already know it)

With this excursion, one person could scooter to the boat site, you could ride the scooter back, and the other person could scooter to the boat site. You'd have to start early but it should be doable and would let you all enjoy the tour.

Hope I don't come across as bossy. With very limited mobility myself, I know what a difference a scooter makes to not only my ability to get around but also my attitude. I really hate it when I know DH is limited in his activities in order to take care of me. Even now, when we go somewhere, once he unloads my folding scooter from the car, he's free to follow his own interests without worrying about me. I really would like *all* of you to be able to enjoy your cruise.

Based on my experience cruising with limited mobility, I would suggest you also look into renting at least one scooter. Otherwise, you will be spending all your time helping your mother and aunt to get around and not be able to enjoy yourself. (I may be confusing messages but didn't you say your daughter was coming too? She may or may not be willing to help push relatives around, but still both of you would lose a LOT of time to pushing.) For instance, even on board, unless your rooms are right by a dining room, you will probably need to get your mother and aunt there and back, much less to an entertainment venue. You can rent a scooter that will be waiting in your cabin when you board and picked up by the company from your cabin afterward. Even if they share one scooter, if neither is up to walking someplace, you could always ride the scooter back to the room to let the other one use it - gotta be better than pushing or helping two people to a venue. You can get assistance from the airlines to help your relatives around the airport (just request it ahead of time, they will supply wheelchairs) and from the cruise line to embark and disembark ONLY (not at ports, and not on board). (you probably already know this, I just want to make sure you don't miss any available help and maybe someone else reading this thread doesn't already know it)

With this excursion, one person could scooter to the boat site, you could ride the scooter back, and the other person could scooter to the boat site. You'd have to start early but it should be doable and would let you all enjoy the tour.

Hope I don't come across as bossy. With very limited mobility myself, I know what a difference a scooter makes to not only my ability to get around but also my attitude. I really hate it when I know DH is limited in his activities in order to take care of me. Even now, when we go somewhere, once he unloads my folding scooter from the car, he's free to follow his own interests without worrying about me. I really would like *all* of you to be able to enjoy your cruise.

Thanks - not at all bossy! This is new territory for me. It's my cousin going with ...it's her mom (my aunt) and my mother. They're at that point where they are still slightly mobile and don't want to admit they may need a wheelchair. I've been gently working on them. I don't want them to miss anything because they're so tired from the previous day's walking/excursions. I don't think they realize how exhausting a day in port can be...even with tours where you only sit and observe, so I'm trying to make it as easy on them as possible, but still...