Canadians - Drink Package

Have any Canadians taken advantage of the top drink package and ended up saving? Obviously it is largely based on personal drinking habits, but it has me wondering.

When we sailed on Indy two years ago on our first cruise we didn't have a package, and it ended up being a good decision. However, drink prices have since gone up (according to posts here), and the top drink package is currently advertised at $60 CAD on Cruise Planner (or $46 USD).

We're not huge drinkers but we enjoy a few per day, plus a pop and good coffee here and there.

We still aren't sold on the drink package, but I wonder: have any Canadians taken advantage of the discounted package and come out ahead? I did some rough calculations and it would be close, but I think we'll still go a la carte.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm Canadian, female, and got it. I'm not a boozer - but say I get this in a day: mimosa or Cesar at breakfast, cappuccino with breakfast, 2 bottles of water before lunch, glass of wine at lunch, 2 more bottles of water and maybe 1-2 brings by the pool, a pre dinner cocktail, a glass of wine at dinner, and maybe a drink for the show - it pays for itself. Also - I'm a wine drinker and most start at 12$ and up a glass. If I only drank beer and was ok with tap water and ice tea I wouldn't do it. Hubby didn't do it - since he hardly drinks and is ok with tap water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, Canukcruisenewbie, for your comments. We're sort of opposite: I think it might make sense for me, but my wife wouldn't drink enough to use it.

SusieV, it's not the nationality, but rather the currency exchange.

When we sail, we'll be paying everything in USD. So a drink that costs $12 is $15.62 CAD, plus tip. We can currently pre-purchase the drink package in CAD, and on sale to boot. That is where I'm thinking there might be an advantage when a drink package might otherwise not make sense.

Basically it works out to four $12 cocktails to be worthwhile, or a combination or alcohol and various other drinks. I need to think about what and how I'll drink, especially with two long port days.

While the beverage package has gone up in price, so has the cost of individual drinks, so it all comes down to your drinking habits. The exchange rate applies equally to the package or to individual drinks, so I'm not sure what you are getting at asking for Canadian input.

While the beverage package has gone up in price, so has the cost of individual drinks, so it all comes down to your drinking habits. The exchange rate applies equally to the package or to individual drinks, so I'm not sure what you are getting at asking for Canadian input.

Ah - that might be the critical point. I had thought the drink packages had stayed the same price, but if they haven't then it becomes less of an issue. For whatever reason that $55/day (US) sticks out in my mind as the price two years ago for the top drink package, but that absolutely could be wrong. That's why this $60 CAD seemed like such a good deal.

Yes, on my past two cruises. Did I save money? Maybe, but probably not. Was convenient though and I doubt I lost money. I am hoping for drink cards on my next cruise as it's port heavy.

We cruised MSC Divina last summer, and one thing I really liked was their option to purchase drink tickets. They were sold in books of ten tickets - great idea!