Discovered that many people are really polarized about the paid dining options

I like choices and as long as the "included in your cruise fare" food is good, then there should be no problem. We go to specialty restaurants as they are nice and it is our choice to spend there, just like others opt for a more expensive cabin, or a drink package or internet package or spa treatments or excursions....

There has though been a decline and/or cut backs in MDR food quality, service, selection over the last 10-15 years. Also when any product or service is offered for a fee offering a better service or product, there is a tendency to have to create separation between the two, thus I just hope the "included in your cruise fare' price food, in our discussion here, does not get lowered in quality or selection any further!

After reading the comments on Cruise Critic whenever this topic arise, it appears that the majority of passengers aboard RCI ships only dine in fine 5 star land based restaurants and do not have a tolerance for anything but that! :rolleyes:

There needs to be a distinction between the quality of the MDR and the specialty restaurants to justify the price differential.

In the end, everyone needs to decide for themselves if they are satisfied with what they are paying for, and if it is of value to them.

problem for newbies to the ship is we have zero to go on but CC , trip advisor and other reviews and the menus. if we can find them. because of my dining package on NCL. im definitely getting one on royal. and it's because 1st time on board, i got it free and liked it. 2nd time i had to pay for it and still liked it. i couldnt eat at the free places 24/7. i needed a few better meals

I like choices and as long as the "included in your cruise fare" food is good, then there should be no problem. We go to specialty restaurants as they are nice and it is our choice to spend there, just like others opt for a more expensive cabin, or a drink package or internet package or spa treatments or excursions....

you are so correct about the expensive cabins. i looked into digging deeper for a chance to get a JR suite to get into the CK but decided ill save the 1200 and buy a specialty restaurant deal and if i like them that much the 1st time. ill pay cash again on board (i'm assuming like NCL you cannot buy the SDP after the first day or 2 on board).

I don't often partake in specialty dining, but I prefer to cruise ships with alternative dining venues. In fact, it will be a factor in deciding which ship to cruise on, even if I never eat in any of those venues. I like variety. I like to know I have options. In reality, I have eaten in Carnival's steakhouse twice, Palo on Disney Fantasy, and the $5 crepe place on Celebrity (I barely count that one) and all but the Celebrity one were pre-booked in advance of the cruise. So its not likely that I will avail myself to the alternate venue on a whim, but I like it to be there.

Generally I find the MDR food to be good. In Disney the MDR food was Okay, not spectacular. Their lunch buffet was the best of all of the lines. Celebrity's dining room food was very good- but we ate in Blu because we were Aqua class. Their buffet was terrible. Carnival's dining room was between above average and very good most nights. Carnival's buffet at lunch when they have various stations or venues (like on the 2.0 ships) was pretty good at those stations, but the main line not great.

I am interested to see how Royal stacks up. We may do one night of specialty dining, since we are celebrating anniversary, mother's day and my birthday. We will see how it goes.

Not quite sure how to phrase my question, but I kind of wonder whether this is just a RCCL issue -- quality of MDR going down to steer folks into a Pay location -- or whether the same thing is happening on equivalent cruise lines such as NCL.

The latter. While RCCL is doing quite well, the cruise business is one in which profits are measured in terms of single digit percentages. None of them can afford to do anything extravagant in term of dining or service. Also, keep in mind that this is food we're talking about - some persons' disgusting entree could be the another persons' Michelin dinner.

After reading the comments on Cruise Critic whenever this topic arise, it appears that the majority of passengers aboard RCI ships only dine in fine 5 star land based restaurants and do not have a tolerance for anything but that! :rolleyes:

Like tipping threads, food threads seem to attract a certain kind of crowd.;)

The latter. While RCCL is doing quite well, the cruise business is one in which profits are measured in terms of single digit percentages. None of them can afford to do anything extravagant in term of dining or service. Also, keep in mind that this is food we're talking about - some persons' disgusting entree could be the another persons' Michelin dinner.

RCL is doing amazingly well with their profit margins, they have proven they know how to generate profits quite well recently.

Dec. 31, 2016 13.67%

Sept. 30, 2016 27.04%

June 30, 2016 10.92%

March 31, 2016 5.17%

Dec. 31, 2015 10.87%

Sept. 30, 2015 9.07%

June 30, 2015 8.99%

RCL is doing amazingly well with their profit margins, they have proven they know how to generate profits quite well recently.

Dec. 31, 2016 13.67%

Sept. 30, 2016 27.04%

June 30, 2016 10.92%

March 31, 2016 5.17%

Dec. 31, 2015 10.87%

Sept. 30, 2015 9.07%

June 30, 2015 8.99%