Whale watching - Juneau or Hoonah

roadmaster

Hi, we are an Aussie couple sailing on the Regatta mid June ex Vancouver.

Just wondering your thoughts on a whale watching tour from either of these 2 areas, considering what else there is to do while in these ports. Both tours seem to be the same dollar value and time spent on the water.

Thanks for any input.

Hi, we are an Aussie couple sailing on the Regatta mid June ex Vancouver.

Just wondering your thoughts on a whale watching tour from either of these 2 areas, considering what else there is to do while in these ports. Both tours seem to be the same dollar value and time spent on the water.

Thanks for any input.

Considering the other options available in Juneau (Mt Roberts, Mendenhall, Taku Lodge, dog sled riding, helicopter rides to walk on a glacier - off the top of my head) I would choose Icy Strait Point.

I recommend looking for "combo" tours that have more than one activity to maximize your port time. Whale watches and the Mendenhal glacier are both West of Juneau.

Not much to do on your own in Hoonah (other than book other excursions), while Juneau has quite a bit more to do (such as hiking on your own up the Mountain at the top of the tram.) Icy Straight Point (Hoonah), does have a very nice new port area with some small hiking trails through the woods that we enjoyed.

All in all, I would likely opt to book whale watching out of Hoonah. We did and we loved it. I can say that the two cities are about 30 miles apart. When we went on our whale watching out of Hoonah, the boat went about 20 minutes East. So, I suspect we were between the two cities. I mention that in that it is possible the whale watching would be similar, maybe even boats from Juneau and boats from Hoonah in the same area looking for the same whales.

Yes, I would say no difference in calmness of waters between the two ports. We had calm waters for our excursion. You are not in open seas, but you are also not in highly protected waters. Could be rough or not. We happened to stop in quite shallow water to see the humpbacks. So waters there were very calm.

Thanks all for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you're going to be at Icy Strait anyway... Pay attention around the ship at the new dock - possibly going/coming or while docked. As we were pulling away last year in May a whale surfaced and put on a little bit of a show - totally unexpected. I've read on here of others reporting the same thing. Evidently there's a friendly whale that hangs around the new Icy Strait dock. You might get a little extra whale experience there for free. :D

Good luck!

Not much to do on your own in Hoonah (other than book other excursions), while Juneau has quite a bit more to do (such as hiking on your own up the Mountain at the top of the tram.) Icy Straight Point (Hoonah), does have a very nice new port area with some small hiking trails through the woods that we enjoyed.

All in all, I would likely opt to book whale watching out of Hoonah. We did and we loved it. I can say that the two cities are about 30 miles apart. When we went on our whale watching out of Hoonah, the boat went about 20 minutes East. So, I suspect we were between the two cities. I mention that in that it is possible the whale watching would be similar, maybe even boats from Juneau and boats from Hoonah in the same area looking for the same whales.

I didn't realize how close they were: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Juneau,+Alaska/Hoonah,+Alaska/@58.267472,-135.5090941,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x5400de6c6f6a3a8f:0x65ef25aae69f311!2m2!1d-134.4197222!2d58.3019444!1m5!1m1!1s0x54016e328db9b761:0x6cb7fb631ee5abfd!2m2!1d-135.4436111!2d58.11!3e0

There are more than enough options in Juneau to keep me busy on b2b cruises. On the other hand, I'll be looking for something more to do while in ISP - other than the whale watch that I booked.

Edited by NancyIL

BTW, our ISP day was our favorite of our 12 day cruise tour. The nature trail behind the ISP visitor building (right after you get off the ship) reminded me of Muir Woods in San Francisco.

32784887156_53c2277563_c.jpg

We got very lucky on our independent whale watching excursion (smaller boat.) We saw some transient orcas feeding on a harbor seal. They would go underneath our boat and right underneath my feet as a leaned over the railing and pointed my camera down and caught this shot of a fin ! (no zoom lens, I swear!)

32825754245_3f332b67a6_c.jpg

Here is another one circling our boat before going underneath.

32011366613_fb35f0a074_c.jpg