Bottled Water Ripoff

Curtw

I just called the Access Desk again and was told they will provide distilled water for CPAP machines free of charge, but will not provide spring or bottled water for free for any purpose! That was my original point!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just called the Access Desk again and was told they will provide distilled water for CPAP machines free of charge, but will not provide spring or bottled water for free for any purpose! That was my original point!

Just quoting this post, as I didn't want to lengthen the thread by quoting your previous longer post. If you go back to those "good old days" when all that you mention was either complimentary or minimal charge, and convert the cruise fare to today's dollars, you would not be complaining that the cruise line is "nickle and diming" you, but that the cruise prices were outrageous. Cruise prices have remained flat or decreased for similar cabin categories over the last decade or more, and the cruise lines do this by carving out things that not everyone uses, and making them "ala carte", so only those who want them have to pay for them.

Ive seen a lot of posts from you on this subject and realize you are particular about your water but it's to the point where I can't understand why you choose cruising as a vacation. If you feel so negatively about the ships water - you must realize they use it in the galley. So everything you eat or drink on the ship touches that water. So any non water drinks provided by the ship will have the water in the ice, used to mix with concentrate, or in the coffee/iced tea. It's used to wash your plates, rinse your fresh food, and in any dish you eat. Simply saying you prefer the taste of one particular bottled water is one thing, but to imply there's something wrong with the ships water. You can't really believe you are living on the ship and not consuming the ship's water on a regular basis? [emoji848]

I'm also assuming you are using your $6 a bottle water to brush your teeth and rinse your toothbrush? Since you have such an issue with water from a tap and from staying in places that have 100% truly undrinkable water, you can't get it in your mouth at all.

We have sailed for over 40 years. We always took aboard our own water. Now we are NOT allowed.

Some people don't drink alcohol or soda... and/or can't because of diabetes, small children, and other reasons.

Hydration is a MUST....As to tea and coffee we don't drink either, and both are made by boiling the water. Hot chocolate, I ask for milk.

The same for food and dishwashing...Our steak is broiled, our potatoes are boiled, My vegetables are steamed.. I am NOT telling other people what to do....They can do as they please.

The numerous "Water threads" are because NCL "Changed their policy"....Nothing more.

So yes, we ONLY brush our teeth with bottled water while onboard and always have.

I totally respect what others want to do, because basically it is really none of my business. If someone only drinks bottled water and no other beverages, that is their decision and I accept their right to that decision. After saying that, I also accept NCL's rules, their right to make any rule they deem appropriate for their ships, price items as they please and I feel that these rules must be abided to. We might not like some of the rules and if one or more interfere with my enjoyment, then I would look for another line or another way to spend my vacation dollars (this is just my opinion and others feel differently).

If someone has a real medical need for something that NCL doesn't sell, then I feel they have every right to bring that item on board, but since they do sell and serve water, I can't think of a reason NCL should allow someone to bring their own water on the ship.

I've said for some time that I didn't understand why any cruise line would allow folks to bring water or soda on board their ships, when it is a revenue stream for them. IMHO, the majority of the folks that brought soda and water on the ships did so to save money. I'm glad NCL made this rule, as I now don't have to stand in the security line waiting for someone to stack their cases of water or soda on the security belt, slowing up me.

IMHO, the majority of the folks that brought soda and water on the ships did so to save money. I'm glad NCL made this rule, as I now don't have to stand in the security line waiting for someone to stack their cases of water or soda on the security belt, slowing up me.

If I remember correctly, it was the soda people ("If I go 3 days without my Coke, I'll DIE!!!") that made the most noise. The water people were more concerned/angry with the bottled water price but the soda people were ready to get the pitchforks and torches to march to FDR's house.

If I remember correctly, it was the soda people ("If I go 3 days without my Coke, I'll DIE!!!") that made the most noise. The water people were more concerned/angry with the bottled water price but the soda people were ready to get the pitchforks and torches to march to FDR's house.
Sorry but I don't buy the "I only can drink Coke and nothing else" (and I'm a Diet Coke drinker) for the time of a cruise, I think they also were just trying to save money. Not to mention, I use to see folks bringing on Pepsi products onto the ships.

I also accept NCL's rules, their right to make any rule they deem appropriate for their ships.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were you on C.C. when the new president made the ORDER of cruisers to NOT be allowed to take food from the buffet to their cabins?

There was such an uproar from passengers that.... he recanted...and Passengers were again ALLOWED to do so.

NCL changed the cruising world with anytime dining and the boards lit up with tremendous complaints about "change"....and NOT desiring change even if they had terrible table mates for the entire cruise....NCL is a good line with many good ideas and some NOT.

NCL is not the only line we cruise with, but it may come that we will cruise less with them as other lines have changed their dining options and include bottled water for passenger that don't or cant drink alcohol or other sweet drinks for days on end....We once were on NCL for 30 days...Free bottled water was given and it was acceptable tasting....It was NOT Aquafina.

I must take back some of my words on bottled water only....We received bottled water on the Yangtze River cruise ship and the ship ran out....We requested and received boiled water at night, in the afternoon and early evening, transferring it to our own empty bottles when it cooled and for brushing of teeth.

Some Nations we have visited we did the same, IF there was no bottled water, but most lines provided bottled water free which was needed on excursions.

I have not complained about the price on NCL....Only that they offered (Aquafina) that I do not like.

In calling and emailing, a solution was found with a water I could live with, but had to be purchased through a restaurant or bar.....Problem solved for me.

Our upcoming cruise with them should go off without a hitch about this subject. If not, as you said there are OTHER lines.

I also accept NCL's rules, their right to make any rule they deem appropriate for their ships.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were you on C.C. when the new president made the ORDER of cruisers to NOT be allowed to take food from the buffet to their cabins?

There was such an uproar from passengers that.... he recanted...and Passengers were again ALLOWED to do so.

I have not complained about the price on NCL....Only that they offered (Aquafina) that I do not like.

In calling and emailing, a solution was found with a water I could live with, but had to be purchased through a restaurant or bar.....Problem solved for me.

Our upcoming cruise with them should go off without a hitch about this subject. If not, as you said there are OTHER lines.

I believe that the no food back to the cabins policy was reversed mainly because it was a knee-jerk policy that could not be enforced.

I'm glad you were able to find another bottled water for purchase on the ships, so that you will be able to enjoy your cruises.

And yes, there are other cruise lines!

Or, another option: cruise on a premium cruise line where absolutely everything is included (all alcohol, bottled water, tips, etc.). Some of the premium lines include Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Viking. I love not being nickelled & dimed to death.

One is only nickled and dimed if he CHOOSES to spend his nickles and dimes. I'd much rather pay for what I use than subsidize other peoples cruises.

One is only nickled and dimed if he CHOOSES to spend his nickles and dimes. I'd much rather pay for what I use than subsidize other peoples cruises.
I also cruise on Crystal and trust me, they are paying a high price for the inclusion of the alcohol, bottled water, tips, etc.

You didn't do your homework very well then if the cruise was a recent one. There have been a number of threads on here about the change in NCL policy about taking water on board.

The policy was in place when we cruised from Rome to Singapore at the end of last year and was rigorously enforced. We took bottles of water off the ship on every port day and had to tip them out before we re-boarded if we didn't want to lose the bottles.

Funny that carnival has a similar policy:-

"To increase safety on its cruise ships, cut alcohol smuggling and speed up embarkation, Carnival Cruise Lines will stop passengers from bringing bottled water, bottled soda and other bottled nonalcoholic drinks on board, effective July 9."

This is true, Carnival does have that policy, but you can buy water from Carnival for around $4 a 12 pack. Liters are around 3.50. Big difference!!

You clearly don't go to concerts or sporting events. Typical costs is $5 for a 20 oz bottle. NCL is not out of line with their pricing especially since there is plenty of filtered water available without charge.

Is it a fact that they are using filtered water? If this is so, then no problem. but, if not, I see a big water bill coming our way!!

Is it a fact that they are using filtered water? If this is so, then no problem. but, if not, I see a big water bill coming our way!!

Ship's water comes from 3 sources. One is made from sea water by evaporators, which produce distilled water. One is made from sea water by reverse osmosis, the same filtration that the bottled water companies use. The third is municipal water loaded at the embarkation port. The amount of water bunkered in port depends on the ship's itinerary, and how much time the ship has to make its own water. So, some of the water will be better than bottled, some will be the same, and some will be municipal water. It all tends to get mixed onboard, and the water produced onboard is usually greater than the water loaded unless the ship has very short sailing intervals.

Beware, Norwegian no longer allows bottled water carry-on, and they charge over $6 per bottle for 1 liter bottles of water. Compare to Carnival, who will deliver a 12-pack of 1/2 liter water to your room for under $5. Do the math, Norwegian: over $6 per liter. Carnival: about $1.20 per liter. Norwegian is 5 times higher. Ridiculous, right? Price gouging!

Bottled water is a mainstay for us when we travel, we would not have sailed Norwegian knowing this. Seems like a small issue, but every time I took a sip, found myself thinking ka-ching, certainly tarnished the good times.

I feel your pain buddy, the water thing as small as it may seem has tipped me over the edge into never sailing NCL again.

I frequent the NCL boards on this site in hopes of seeing a retraction of the policy, but it doesn't looks like it will happen under this CEO, I sure do miss Kevin Sheehan.

In the meantime I'll be cruising Royal from now on.

I am bringing a Brita to go bottle with me. I don't drink anything but water. I also get these packets with crystalized lemon to put in the water. If the tap water tastes bad the lemon will kill the taste. They haven't banned Brita to go, did they?

I think the water on the ship is filtered. Bars and dining areas. But not in your cabin. The coffee made in our cabin was not too good. Let's say not good at all. Until I made it with bottled spring water that I brought on with me. Huge difference.

I just paid the $71 for NCL's 12 single liter bottles. Ouch!

Carnival's water is a lot cheaper than NCL, buuuut their booze package is capped at 15 drinks per day, and it's never included with your booking.

Soooo, as a cruiser of all the mainstay lines...GO CELEBRITY!!! LOL!!!!!

And as they say in Mexico....Drink Beer, Not Water!!!! [emoji23][emoji481][emoji6][emoji23][emoji481][emoji6]

At the end of the day you get what you pay for. If NCL is not for you anymore go elsewhere. There are many, many options to sail on.

That's precisely what we are doing. Already booked our next cruise, not on NCL. Again, it may seem petty, but the water price is the driver for our change. Petty or not, adios NCL.

Could you please cite the posts which are suggesting BACK subsidize water at the expense of other passengers?

I've read the opposite. Posters suggesting high prices for bottled water enhancing NCL profits.

I have no issue with ships water. No skin off my back.

Don't compare the cost of buying a case or more of bottled water with the cost of buying a case or more for a week's vacation. Compare it with the cost of buying a case at a retail store. Compare it with what Carnival charges.

Other cruise line drink plans include bottled water and specialty coffees, juuce...Carnival limits you to 15 adult drinks a day. You can still get soda, juice etc.

Do the math. A bloody Mary with breakfast. Two more at the pool before lunch. A drink with lunch. Three more in the afternoon. A couple of glasses of wine with dinner. An after dinner cordial. That leaves 5 more at a bar after dinner. Doesn't sound that unreasonable.

A bloody Mary with breakfast. Two more at the pool before lunch. A drink with lunch. Three more in the afternoon. A couple of glasses of wine with dinner. An after dinner cordial. That leaves 5 more at a bar after dinner. Doesn't sound that unreasonable.

I'm pretty sure the 15 drink limit is to stop folks from sharing drinks with passengers who don't have the drink plan. I'm not saying I've never drank fifteen drinks in a day, but I'm pretty sure I spent the next three or four recovering...

I just paid the $71 for NCL's 12 single liter bottles. Ouch!

Carnival's water is a lot cheaper than NCL, buuuut their booze package is capped at 15 drinks per day, and it's never included with your booking.

Soooo, as a cruiser of all the mainstay lines...GO CELEBRITY!!! LOL!!!!!

And as they say in Mexico....Drink Beer, Not Water!!!! [emoji23][emoji481][emoji6][emoji23][emoji481][emoji6]

Thats odd cause I paid $33 for 12 pack 2 days ago