anthem balcony: need help with decision

luckyinpa

1st timer on royal. i do like to be aware of things like on the other ship ive been on i knew about aft noise due to the outdoor parties and i know the general rules of the higher up forward/aft means on rough seas you feel it more. that being said i have been on both decks 13 and 14 both forward and aft and never got sick or anything. i do value a more quiet room vs something near a venue that has parties until 1 am.

cruise will be either oct/nov/dec bahamas trip. realizing that the solarium proximity would probably be more important in december vs an october trip.

but otherwise i have not decided if i want to be closer to the solarium or two70. i dont mind walking 2 flights up or down but more than that, probably not. this doesnt exclude other decks of course, just a preference, not a deal breaker.

the main reason for this thread is for people to say things like 'this ship has a bad aft vibration between these decks" or avoid deck X because its overrun with kids in the kids clubs etc. the little quirks that this ship has is what i'm looking for

we are generally not pool people but with all the indoor pool stuff to day, we may partake :) i'm gonna be 50 so i want to have the best possible experience of course to celebrate so any suggestions there would be appreciated. gf is 36 and we are both easy going.

I know i dont want to be right above or below stuff to minimize the chance of noise so i guess decks 7 to 12 is what I'm looking for? unless you dont have to worry about that on this ship of course.

i'm still trying to figure out why a deluxe is smaller and more expensive than a superior (except for the more expensive D1) but i think its because bigger balcony?

Obviously we are not seeing every free available on the royal site but I found something interesting. Lower decks have fewer balconies available. For the decks that say ‘only X left’ I’m assuming agents still could hold some of these.

These are the balconies that remain (deluxe and superior mixed): deck 7 (10), deck 8 (9) ,deck 9 (11), deck 10 (4) , deck 11 (15), deck 12, (15), deck 13 (14).

So is this skewed because I’m not seeing all available cabins or do people really prefer the lower decks since more upper are available. I also realize dispersion of other categories may have skewed this but I didn’t take the time to analyze.

does royal have PCCs like NCL does. So you can call and ask for all available cabins in whatever section you want?

i also see some angled balconies and assume thats a universal 'jackpot' if you score one for the same price as a balcony.

Well I would recommend something mid ship and not under the pool deck. We sailed the Anthem last year in a D8 cabin and it was perfectly fine. I think we were on deck 10. Good size cabin for two of us. It was right by the front elevator though and we had a long walk to the aft of the ship so that's why I recommend a mid ship cabin. The balcony was a standard size also. No vibrations noticed and the ship was pretty stable but of course, you never know how the seas will be! You have all the other criteria of choice considered so I don't think you can go wrong!

Obviously we are not seeing every free available on the royal site but I found something interesting. Lower decks have fewer balconies available. For the decks that say ‘only X left’ I’m assuming agents still could hold some of these.

These are the balconies that remain (deluxe and superior mixed): deck 7 (10), deck 8 (9) ,deck 9 (11), deck 10 (4) , deck 11 (15), deck 12, (15), deck 13 (14).

So is this skewed because I’m not seeing all available cabins or do people really prefer the lower decks since more upper are available. I also realize dispersion of other categories may have skewed this but I didn’t take the time to analyze.

does royal have PCCs like NCL does. So you can call and ask for all available cabins in whatever section you want?

i also see some angled balconies and assume thats a universal 'jackpot' if you score one for the same price as a balcony.

Interestingly, when I look at the website of a large online travel agency there are a lot more cabins available than on RCI's website, so they must not show everything. You may want to see what a travel agent has available.

i know on NCL site they only show 15 cabins no matter what. but when i went on another agency site yesterday i did see cabins listed on there that werent on the royal site. i had just spent time marking off the available cabins on a hard copy of deck plans. i know you can call NCL and ask if cabins are available if you have a specific one in mind or if you have a PCC there but i havent seen that royal has PCCs. i also wish ANY cruiseline would add blinking lites to their available rooms . i've looked at least 6 or 7 lines websites and NONE have blinking lites to show available cabins. amazing that a tiny travel agency can do it but the big boys cannot.

i want to book this week to take advantage of the 100 obc and the balcony sale on anthem. so anyone that has more advice would be appreciated.

We booked Anthem thru an on-line travel agency and they had purchased a "block" of cabins over a year ago so we had several cabin's to choose from at last years price. Our travel agent, who has been on Anthem several times; suggested Deck 12. We booked a D1 stateroom which is one on the bump out with a much larger balcony. She thought it was at least 85 sq ft and the D1 price was just $108 for the 2 of us vs a lower cabin.

We booked Anthem thru an on-line travel agency and they had purchased a "block" of cabins over a year ago so we had several cabin's to choose from at last years price. Our travel agent, who has been on Anthem several times; suggested Deck 12. We booked a D1 stateroom which is one on the bump out with a much larger balcony. She thought it was at least 85 sq ft and the D1 price was just $108 for the 2 of us vs a lower cabin.

being on 12 did you notice any more kids/noise in the halls because of the kids club right there? i just assume people with kids would prefer 11/12 because of the kids clubs.

Just off the Anthem. We had balcony cabin 13246. We loved our cabin. We had a few times where we could hear some thumping from the teen club above, but it was mostly quiet. I would take TWO things into consideration. first, the elevators are a pain. We waited and took the stairs, frequently. Riding up was easier than riding down. Secondly, the lower cabins have to deal with lifeboats blocking the views. Other than that, the layout of the balcony cabin was wonderful. We had a balcony on the NCL Escape and Anthem was waaaaaaay better.

Anthem Day 11 for us was rough, you feel it most Forward and Aft. A Mid cabin is best, I like it towards Aft because I like to be near Windjammer/Grande/Chic. If the kids aren't locked up in Adventure Ocean, they hang out at SeaPlex and the pools. If you want to be near the Solarium, then go Mid-Forward. I'd avoid Deck 13 under the teen club but to be honest, it's no Disney, there's few kids. Also avoid Mid 7's right above the yellow lifeboats (unless you want a quick exit). Overall, the rooms are pretty soundproof, ours was joining and I didn't hear a peep from our neighbours. Port side you see sunsets coming home, Starboard on the way down. Turning 50 with a gf 36 eh? :D

Just off the Anthem. We had balcony cabin 13246. We loved our cabin. We had a few times where we could hear some thumping from the teen club above, but it was mostly quiet. I would take TWO things into consideration. first, the elevators are a pain. We waited and took the stairs, frequently. Riding up was easier than riding down. Secondly, the lower cabins have to deal with lifeboats blocking the views. Other than that, the layout of the balcony cabin was wonderful. We had a balcony on the NCL Escape and Anthem was waaaaaaay better.

i have not researched elevators but thats good to know about easier to go up. as much as id love the convenience of 13 i just cannot go against my belief that below public areas is risky. in discussions with gf last night we had settled on 12 until i saw kids club on 11/12. so now i may bump down to 7 or 8. just unsure. since the plans show where on 5 the lifeboats are, i could research the right mid ship one if i cared about looking straight down.

i'm also still back and forth to be in walking distance to solarium vs two70. hard choice. is solarium 24/7? i'm assuming two70 is.

did you think 13246 was worth the extra money. if i'm reading the plans right it was a higher cost D1.

getting back to the lifeboats, is the view you were talking about the inability to look down and see water? just want to make sure i'm understanding what you mean.

Anthem Day 11 for us was rough, you feel it most Forward and Aft. A Mid cabin is best, I like it towards Aft because I like to be near Windjammer/Grande/Chic. If the kids aren't locked up in Adventure Ocean, they hang out at SeaPlex and the pools. If you want to be near the Solarium, then go Mid-Forward. I'd avoid Deck 13 under the teen club but to be honest, it's no Disney, there's few kids. Also avoid Mid 7's right above the yellow lifeboats (unless you want a quick exit). Overall, the rooms are pretty soundproof, ours was joining and I didn't hear a peep from our neighbours. Port side you see sunsets coming home, Starboard on the way down. Turning 50 with a gf 36 eh? :D

mid forward 12 is what i wanted, just have to pin down if i have to worry about noise from running kids or not. unsure if more families stay on 12 because of the clubs etc. i just want to try to minimize my chances of being disrupted though i know its impossible to really do. nice to know the rooms are pretty sound proof. maybe 12 is a possilblity then. i'm still fighting with will i be in solarium vs 270 more. and the restaurants too.

but i was high up on the breakaway and when i had 2 kids along i really really appreciated being near the buffet. but no kids this time. i think . i need a spreadsheet!

yes i'm lucky my gf appreciates older and wiser men :)

I'd imagine families with young children budget more and are on lower levels. fwiw, I don't expect kids running up/down halls on any deck, it's not where they hang out, even when their rooms are close by (us).

I'm sure you've checked out the deck plans. Link if not:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/anthem-of-the-seas-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=706&deck=12

You can then map out the room with a real picture online of the port/starboard side to give you an idea of your view.

The Solarium is humid, I felt like I was in a greenhouse. 270 is relaxing but reminds me of initial boarding, we didn't really hang out there except during rough seas to play cards or to get a sandwich/soup when WJ was closed. Some people love it. Both those areas will be mostly void of kids during the day if that's what you want.

well i dont expect them to run on any deck either but it would be silly of me to book on 12 near the entrance and not expect extra noise on days i may want to sleep in.

i have a PDF of the deck plans but i went to your page and dont get what you mean by seeing the real pic of the view. i didnt see options on that page for anything like that

i never thought of humidity in the solarium. in winter that may not be bad though. and i'm not worried about kids during the day anywhere, just near my room when im trying to relax /sleep. two70 just looks so inviting compared to the 'no space' like it on the breakaway. there really was nowhere to sit and look outside on that ship. and i checked the specs. if i'm right the anthem is narrower but i think i must be wrong. on the videos ive seen anthem looks so wide inside

are both locations open late/24 hours a day?

There's no option for that, you have to google a picture of the Anthem, port or starboard, filter for large and expand it. From there you can count the balconies and figure out which one is likely yours corresponding to the deck plan.

I don't think you'll have a problem with any room near Adventure Ocean. If you look at the schematics it's a separate corridor to AO and I can confirm seeing it in person... unless it's kids going back and forth who are actually staying on deck 12, unlikely.

And I found the quickest way to get from Forward to Aft or vice versa, although not the most scenic, is to use the deck hallways, taking the elevators nearest your final destination.

There's no option for that, you have to google a picture of the Anthem, port or starboard, filter for large and expand it. From there you can count the balconies and figure out which one is likely yours corresponding to the deck plan.

I don't think you'll have a problem with any room near Adventure Ocean. If you look at the schematics it's a separate corridor to AO and I can confirm seeing it in person... unless it's kids going back and forth who are actually staying on deck 12, unlikely.

And I found the quickest way to get from Forward to Aft or vice versa, although not the most scenic, is to use the deck hallways, taking the elevators nearest your final destination.

AH! now i see what you mean. only entrance on 12 is literally at the stairs and i see it's in its own little thing. so if they all come out to do the congo line, it wouldnt bug me at mid/mid forward.

so i guess that puts deck 12 back in contention vs a lower deck.

how many elevators are forward. the pics clearly show 6 aft. my plan whether i'm on 12 or 7 is to use the steps to go up or down the 2 to the appropriate deck i want. otherwise using elevator.

There are 10 elevator aft on Anthem but these are in in two sections of 5 on either side separated by the atrium. These are 3 on the inside with view of atrium, 2 on outside with no view and the two waiting areas are in between, one on each side for each section of 5 elevators.

Yes there are six elevators forward but all of these are accessed from the waiting area between the two rows of 3 on either side.

ah the plans show 6 aft and impossible to tell forward. so there are 2 more elevators then the breakaway which means ill be waiting less time :)

of course on the BA you have to press both sides of buttons if you want an elevator. crafty they are!

Below are a couple of downward shots of the atrium which separate the two aft elevator areas.

The second shot is from the glass floor landing in the middle of the extra set of stairs that is only between deck 13 and 14 in the atrium.

attachment.php?attachmentid=403356&d=1486576827

attachment.php?attachmentid=403357&d=1486576827

P1151558.jpg.97b10af70f71c893e512917579fcda07.jpg

P1151559.jpg.19a94e602277d89c5fc2e1da0e98a0f6.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

hmmm the deck plans sure dont show that! i had no idea the elevators were like this. just was curious the situation on board as i was used to the breakway and the PITA they were. obviously day 1 and after shows they are a nitemare . but thats on any ship i'm assuming.

Interestingly, when I look at the website of a large online travel agency there are a lot more cabins available than on RCI's website, so they must not show everything. You may want to see what a travel agent has available.

i just looked at another site, they had over 50 d5 available on a deck where royal shows 12. i do wonder if royal has access to sell those others and just rotates their online 'showings'

ah the plans show 6 aft and impossible to tell forward. so there are 2 more elevators then the breakaway which means ill be waiting less time :)

of course on the BA you have to press both sides of buttons if you want an elevator. crafty they are!

If you look carefully at the aft elevators on Anthem deck plan you'll see the six inside ones, each shown as an rounded on atrium side rectangle, three on either side of the atrium. The two outside elevators on each side shows only as a single longer rectangle with ELEV in each.

Same goes for the forward elevators. Each even longer rectangle there represents three elevators in a bank of them.

i've been reading this thread again and just was reminded of the elevator thing. lends itself to lower deck for sure. ive been looking at videos of the ship walk through and it appears lower decks have more 'nooks an crannies' where there's just places to sit and do nothing. so now i'm leaning toward lower deck but that will probably change in the next 10 minutes :)

i had wanted to b within 2 decks of the action because i had wanted to try to do at least a few stairs but maybe i'm limiting myself too much. now i'm also thinking get a room not across from an inside to minimize door slamming noise.