Izumi Help Needed

nkereina

We'll be on Oasis with my parents in a few weeks. The extent of their Japanese food exposure is our local Benihana - the fried rice, veggies, and chicken/shrimp being cooked in front of them with some antics thrown in. Should we expect the same kind of thing at Izumi (but without the onion volcano)? Or is Izumi a different kind of experience?

When looking at the menu, I'm guessing the "Hot Rock/Ishiyake" section of the menu would be the type of entree they are used to and on par with our local hibachi place. Would that be accurate?

Thanks for your help!

If you are booked into one of the Teppanyaki tables then yes you can expect something very similar to benihana with a very similar style of food and similar "antics".

We have done it a couple of times and enjoyed it, makes a nice change on a 7 night cruise.

In Izumi there is also normal tables for ordering sushi etc and this is where the hot rock style menu is served that you mentioned.

When looking at the menu, I'm guessing the "Hot Rock/Ishiyake" section of the menu would be the type of entree they are used to and on par with our local hibachi place. Would that be accurate?

Thanks for your help!

nope.

there are two 'sections of Izumi( on most ships). there is basic sushi and the hot rock , which is cooked behind the scenes and presented table side. well, to clarify, the hot rock protein comes raw and with a..well.. hot.. rock that you sear the meat on yourself.

the 'show' is the 'Teppanyaki' section cooked table side.

if you want authentic Japanese, skip the teppanyaki. their sushi is the best we have found outside of Tokyo. I personally love the hot rock experience. it reminds me of making my own okonomiyaki in Yokosuka. my only complaint is they don't have gyoza

We have only experienced the Sushi and hot rock part of Izumi. On our next cruise we look forward to the Tepanyaki type experience. We will be going with a nice size family group with grand kids ranging from 13-20. We enjoyed the sushi and for those non-sushi folks found the hot rocks to be fun. And yes the hot rocks are really hot.

If we have a 4 night dining package and decide to go to Izumi and do the hibachi food, will we pay extra for either choice? We'd like to try it on Allure. Thanks.

The dining package gives you a $30 credit at a la carte restaurants.

On the RCCL website it says that the Izuma is 29.00 (or 39.00 can't remember now) per person, but then looking at the menu, there are prices listed. Which is correct? I want to do the Hibachi .

The hibachi is a fixed fee. Anything else (like if you wanted a sushi roll) is extra.

The hibachi is a fixed fee. Anything else (like if you wanted a sushi roll) is extra.

I did see that Izumi hibachi is a fixed fee . I guess I didn't ask my question correctly because what I wanted to know was would we be able to order the premier combo or would we have to get the classics? It really doesn't matter to me, but I was just wondering. I don't want to make a fool of myself in the restaurant. Thanks.

BNBR thanks for posting the menu.

I did see that Izumi hibachi is a fixed fee . I guess I didn't ask my question correctly because what I wanted to know was would we be able to order the premier combo or would we have to get the classics? It really doesn't matter to me, but I was just wondering. I don't want to make a fool of myself in the restaurant. Thanks.

BNBR thanks for posting the menu.

You can order either. You will be charged the difference between what you order and the $30 credit that the dining package provides. In either case you will pay extra.