Movies by the Pool??

cruizinpooh

So, it's OK that hairy chest contests are a step too far for you, but not OK that movies blaring at the pool all day long is a step too far for me? I'm not sure why your limits are more important than mine. :confused:

And yes, if they start with poolside movies in the evening, I have no doubt that it will eventually devolve into movies all day long.

Your limits are your limits and you are welcome to your opinion. I am welcome to disagree with your opinion, politely (particularly the part - if I remember your original posting correctly - where you assumed they would devolve into all day movies blaring and hairy chest contests and the like - not exact quotes but the gist of it). Right now at most they may have a handful of screenings (with the exception of the M class ships, which have the back of the top deck reconfigured to show movies. This area is nowhere near the pool, and not in an area you would normally just happen upon when walking around the ship. ) Is there a possibility that this could turn into movies blaring at the pool all day long? I guess there is always that possibility, but I honestly believe it is a slim one.

When we did our oct 2015 cruise on the Eclipse , we had a film on the grass opposite the glassworks , they put out blankets , beanbags and seating and had a staff member handing out cinema snacks ,popcorn crisps sweets and lots more and had a big screen. it was lovely, so our 2016 we were really looking forward to that evening but sadly we did,nt . so not sure why it didn't happen , its a great idea and felt very special .

Do you remember way back when there were a multitude of outdoor movie theaters that showed double features on a Saturday night? We used to put the kids in pajamas, grab some snacks and head over for an inexpensive night out. This days are gone.

This is a very nice way to revisit sense of freedom and relaxation outdoors.

As for anyone who doesn't like it? Don't go! The ship is pretty big. I am sure there are other things that will occupy you, and you won't even have to know about it.

The new movie area on the upper deck, sounds like a nicer experience than blaring poolside movies and MUTS for those who want cinema at sea. The food and wine menu consistent with the movie theme seems very creative and more boutiqish than movies at the mall. Movies on the lawn sound nice as well,

Many folks have come over from other lines because they see how nice X ships are, plus the better food , service , quiet upscale ambiance, overall cruise experience...etc & and of course the alcohol perk.

They become X fans but then start to clamor for things left behind on lines they left...loud pool music, no dress standards, MUTS.....etc Won't be long before we get the hairy legs and belly flop contests......Moderm Luxury of another kind,

Do you remember way back when there were a multitude of outdoor movie theaters that showed double features on a Saturday night? We used to put the kids in pajamas, grab some snacks and head over for an inexpensive night out. This days are gone.This is a very nice way to revisit sense of freedom and relaxation outdoors.
Do you also support the return of smoking? I remember going to the drive in and watching the movies from the back seat through a cloud of cigarette smoke because my parents in the front seat smoked. :)

As for anyone who doesn't like it? Don't go! The ship is pretty big. I am sure there are other things that will occupy you, and you won't even have to know about it.

Clearly, you are one who would like to see this downgrade on Celebrity.

On ships that have movies by the pool, it is almost impossible to get away from the noise when spending time outside. If you want pool time, you have to endure it. If you walk around the ship for exercise, you will encounter the noise every time you pass by. If you go to one of the outside bars or food areas, the noise will noticeable. Only a few outside areas of the ship will be completely free of it's influence.

Why should I have to hide away from it to enjoy my cruise? Not having the distraction in the first place is a much better solution.

We just got off the Infinity where they did have movies on the deck listed. I'm not sure if they were on every day. Whatever days they were on, there were only 2 or 3 showings. I never saw where they were showing them and it didn't disturb me. I don't know why people think this is a downgrade of some sort. It's just another option for those who don't want to take dance lessons or play bingo or sit by themselves in their cabin. I was very happy to find out that the same movie was also shown in the cabin at the same time as it was playing on deck. Unfortunately I didn't find this out until near the end of our cruise. But near the end of the cruise my husband was getting sick and an evening in the cabin was in order. We appreciated having the opportunity to see a current movie and lie around being vegetables.

We just got off the Infinity where they did have movies on the deck listed. I'm not sure if they were on every day. Whatever days they were on, there were only 2 or 3 showings. I never saw where they were showing them and it didn't disturb me. I don't know why people think this is a downgrade of some sort. It's just another option for those who don't want to take dance lessons or play bingo or sit by themselves in their cabin. I was very happy to find out that the same movie was also shown in the cabin at the same time as it was playing on deck. Unfortunately I didn't find this out until near the end of our cruise. But near the end of the cruise my husband was getting sick and an evening in the cabin was in order. We appreciated having the opportunity to see a current movie and lie around being vegetables.

I think people are worried that it's a precursor to the jumbo screens that other cruise lines have, which blare commercials and music at you from sun-up to sundown rather than allowing you to relax at the pool without that distraction.

I think people are worried that it's a precursor to the jumbo screens that other cruise lines have, which blare commercials and music at you from sun-up to sundown rather than allowing you to relax at the pool without that distraction.

You may be right. However, from what I've seen here, Celebrity regulars will make their voices heard when they truly don't like something (e.g. on our recent sailing we were not required to vacate our cabins before 8:00 am :) - maybe due to the mass outrage at the suggestion of having to leave by 7:00 am??)

You may be right. However, from what I've seen here, Celebrity regulars will make their voices heard when they truly don't like something (e.g. on our recent sailing we were not required to vacate our cabins before 8:00 am :) - maybe due to the mass outrage at the suggestion of having to leave by 7:00 am??)

Well, there certainly was a lot of "outrage" when Celebrity introduced extra fee cabanas on Silhouette, replacing public lawn areas and blocking views for people not interested in spending more money on so-called "private" areas of the lawn. Lots of people complained. Celebrity responded to those complaints by placing even more cabanas on Reflection a year later.

How did that outrage work out? :rolleyes: