American Table?

sailor05

Hmmm, the appetizers look OK, but the dinner items are things i make all the time at home and we have a tablecloth on our dining table. So sad, as I do enjoy getting dressed up for dinner and spoiled by the menu, crystal, china and waitstaff.. I hope they use coasters for the water glasses and condensation and don't slap paper placemats on the table or that will be a major turn-off for me. But I always enjoy my cruises and I'm sure I'll enjoy this upcoming one. It was the itinerary I wanted and only 2 choices of cruise lines...neither of which get's me terribly excited so I will focus on the vacation aspect for sure. With only needing one nice dinner dress I actually have room in my luggage for the first time ever!

Love the NEW American table menu....especially the "Ports of Call" selections each night. They have been fantastic every time. The rest of the menu still has all the most popular dishes. Bitter n'blanc dessert is on menu on 7-day cruises. I am so tired of hearing they took it away.

the Bitter and Blanc is on 6 and 8 day menu too.

Seriously a table cloth should not be a make or break issue for deciding on a cruise. If anything, i wish the MDR was faster because 2 hours for eating is really a waste of time to me. I like the food but it is hours of wasted time I could use doing other things. To me dining is a necessary biological function much like using the restroom. I want to get i and get out. Let me guess, now people will complain there are not attendants in the restroom!!!

Hello,

I am not sure what to do now. Last time I was on the Fantasy in 1990 (honeymoon) , the dinning room was lovely. From what I can remember they used tablecloths and cloth napkins. The food and service were outstanding in my book. I just booked a cruise on the Carnival Dream for June of 2018 to the Caribbean with my mom. I grew up with cloth napkins and table cloth at all meals. My mom is coming with me. I guess I just remembered them when cruise shopping for next year. My mom is going to be horrified when she gets to the MDR and finds no linen on the tables. Do I cancel the trip ? Do I tell her and give her the option? Any help would be appreciated. What do they put your plate on ? a place mat? or ? Thank you. I picked this cruise for the ports , price ( offered me $50 per person down payment) and route.

Sincerely,

I don't find too much to be different with the American Table menu, aside from the fact that the portions seem huge

Also on a side note I don't get the hangup over the tablecloths. Tablecloth doesn't equal quality in land restaurants in 2017. Many upscale restaurants don't use tablecloths.

Ding, Ding, Ding...we have a winner. So very true...there are some amazing chef inspired restaurants (at least here in Tampa) that give you the food and service of "fine dining", yet don't use table cloths. There is a definite trend away from them. Because of this, it doesn't bother me at all and when I hear about all the changes...I've seen many of the same dishes that have been there since I started cruising. They may have added some comfort food and made some changes, but they aren't as significant as some have led people to believe.

Is this real life?

Hello,

I am not sure what to do now. Last time I was on the Fantasy in 1990 (honeymoon) , the dinning room was lovely. From what I can remember they used tablecloths and cloth napkins. The food and service were outstanding in my book. I just booked a cruise on the Carnival Dream for June of 2018 to the Caribbean with my mom. I grew up with cloth napkins and table cloth at all meals. My mom is coming with me. I guess I just remembered them when cruise shopping for next year. My mom is going to be horrified when she gets to the MDR and finds no linen on the tables. Do I cancel the trip ? Do I tell her and give her the option? Any help would be appreciated. What do they put your plate on ? a place mat? or ? Thank you. I picked this cruise for the ports , price ( offered me $50 per person down payment) and route.

Sincerely,

What do they have on the tables, without linens? Placemats? Ty

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember placements on the Sunshine last spring. A previous poster said they had tablecloths on that ship but we only saw them on elegant night..

I go to Outback Steakhouse and I don't expect tablecloths. I go to nicer restaurants and yes I do expect them, especially cloth napkins (get those at Outback too). What I don't want to see is the MDR getting any less formal than what it already is. Before you know it we'll have scum coming in there at dinner in cut-off shorts and flip-flops:eek:

I know we're going to love our cruise and I hope CCL doesn't change too much to sway us back to RCL as I love the cheaper cruises because we can do more other vacations with the money we save.;p