Tolls

Freebythesea

On Saturday a.m. we will arrive in FLL, rent a car and then head south to Miami. We have never been there and are really excited to get to explore while we drive down. I am wondering about tolls. Can someone please share any info regarding this? I am wondering how much they are, do they take cash, and how does one handle paying for them if they don't take cash (we have them here in Seattle-which we always take alternate routes-and they are cashless).

Thank you

Your rental car agency should have either a Sunshine Pass or a fee /expense for tolls. You can opt out of that. Tolls will show up on your final rental bill. Check with your rental car provider.

However,by staying on I-95 and taking surface streets you can explore Miami without tolls. And on a Saturday, maybe not quite as much traffic. You just won't be able to use the express/HOV lanes. Any driving app should be able to direct you around toll routes.

On a Saturday the roads should be bearible in the FLL, MIA area. Skip the Florida Turnpike and drive down I-95, no tolls. There is not much to see on either the turnpike or I-95. You didnt say how early, but you can take a slde trip to Miami Beach, its a 5 minute ride from the port. Have breakfast outside and sightsee the art deco buildings. If you use the turnpike, bring a couple of rolls of quarters for the tolls.

Thank you. We don't sail until Sunday so we were planning on hitting the beach on our way down to Miami. We are staying in N. Beach Miami but think maybe a stop to either Lauderdale or Hollywood beach might be nice (we will be flying all night so a nap on the beach may be just what the dr. ordered)

On Saturday a.m. we will arrive in FLL, rent a car and then head south to Miami. We have never been there and are really excited to get to explore while we drive down. I am wondering about tolls. Can someone please share any info regarding this? I am wondering how much they are, do they take cash, and how does one handle paying for them if they don't take cash (we have them here in Seattle-which we always take alternate routes-and they are cashless).

Thank you

There are no tolls on I-95, but what is it you think there is to explore? You certainly don't want to explore Liberty City.

You likely won't run into any tolls. The only tolls I can think of that you would have are the Broad Causeway in Bay Harbor/Bal Harbor and the Venetian Causeway. But neither of those bridges are must cross, there are many alternative and those are more of the lesser used causeways. The only other tolls are for I-95 Express. I don't see why you would need to travel on the 826 or 836 expressway nor the turnpike. There are no other tolls in the areas other than what is listed above.

100% of the tolls are cashless and each car rental agency has a different way in how they charge you tolls. The daily $13.50 a day is a rip off for Miami. We are not a city like NYC where there are $8.00 tolls to cross a bridge.

If returning the vehicle to Miami airport, there will be tolls if she uses the Airport Expressway or Dolphin Expressway. Surface streets in this area instead of the expressway will add anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to that commute.

with the exception of I-95, virtually every limited access highway has tolls for at least a portion and cash is NOT accepted ... everything is electronic. Even 95 has pay express lanes .... A single wrong turn can put you on a toll road. What happens next varies WIDELY depending on your rental company.

I strongly recommend you take a GOOD look at

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

how the major rental companies handle the electronic tolls is outlined here ..... I'd factor this in when renting in FL especially around Miami.