Which Airport to use and earliest flight?

RoxiRoo

Hello All,

I am starting to look at air for my cruise next year. We disembark at FLL (does this mean Port Everglades?) at 7:00 am on a Saturday. I was thinking it is best to just fly out of FLL airport? Or is Miami a viable option? At any rate, if I do self-disembark and walk off the ship, what are the earliest flights I can or should look at for both Miami and FLL airports? And how do I get to each airport? Cab? Shutte? Bus?

Thank you so much for your advice!!

Julie

FLL is 10-15 min from PE taxi is about $15 per vehicle

MIA is about 1 hr away depending on traffic

could use a shuttle from the cruise line but the cost is about $30 pp

private shuttle like GO or QLS

taxi will run $80+

It has all been discussed before here just use the search feature

It really depends on where you are flying to. Some airlines ha much better prices, depending on the airport's, even if they are only 45 minutes from each other. We usually cruise out of Miami but fly out of FLL bc the rates to Des Moines on Southwest are so much better, especially when you factor in free checked bags.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It is super easy to fly out of Fort Lauderdale (FLL) when disembarking at Port Everglades. They are only 15 min. ride apart, at most. If flying from there, however, I wouldn't personally book anything before 10:30. Most here will say 11:00 or later is best. That gives you extra time for any delays. A quick cab or uber ride.

Now if you do choose to fly out of Miami you have the expense of the transfer AND the fact you will have to book something later (I'd choose 12:30 or later) and deal with a larger airport with sometimes more TSA time required. So for convenience, unless you were saving enough to cover the transfer AND the hassle, I'd stick to FLL.

Have fun!

All this said, it does depend on where you are flying in to, direct ,or change planes, time of flights versus time of arrival, etc. If for example you want a direct flight to Minneapolis-St Paul, and Miami has one at 11 AM but from FLL you'd need to change planes in Atlanta, it might make sense to pay the transit fare and head for MIA. But if you can get a change out of FLL to ATL early enough and have a shorter wait time in ATL where you're leaving for MSP before noon that might be a better way to go.

All this said, it does depend on where you are flying in to, direct ,or change planes, time of flights versus time of arrival, etc. If for example you want a direct flight to Minneapolis-St Paul, and Miami has one at 11 AM but from FLL you'd need to change planes in Atlanta, it might make sense to pay the transit fare and head for MIA. But if you can get a change out of FLL to ATL early enough and have a shorter wait time in ATL where you're leaving for MSP before noon that might be a better way to go.

Delta has a 1:15pm flight that is non-stop from FLL > MSP

As with most answers it depends. I would say the earliest flight you want to get out of FLL is 10:30am. Just keep in mind, a later flight will be less stressful on getting off the ship, you could sleep a little more, have breakfast etc.. instead of worrying about catching a flight. FLL is 15min drive from Port Everglades, there will be cabs waiting, you could also take an Uber, that will be a little bit cheaper.

MIA on a Saturday (with no accidents) is about 35-45mins from Port Everglades. An Uberx will be about $35-$40 while an UberXL if you need more space will be closer to $60-$70. So keep that in mind, if you find a cheaper flight out of MIA and the times work, it makes sense to do it, as long as the time and prices make sense. Or maybe a non-stop flight from MIA but not from FLL etc.. MIA the earliest flight I would do would be 11:15-11:30am.

Wow, really good feedback. And lots of options! I have 2 more days before all my flights will show online..... Yes, I am going to MSP. I typically will fly Delta or Sun Country, just depending on what is available. And I will never, ever, ever again do less than an hour layover due to missing a number of flights through American. Actually, I will probably never fly AA again, unless it is nonstop and super affordable.

Thanks for all the feedback. :)

I use FLL because SW doesn't fly into Miami. If I were flying Delta, United, etc., I would do a price comparison taking into account the cost of transportation between FLL and Miami.

Roz

Wow, really good feedback. And lots of options! I have 2 more days before all my flights will show online..... Yes, I am going to MSP. I typically will fly Delta or Sun Country, just depending on what is available. And I will never, ever, ever again do less than an hour layover due to missing a number of flights through American. Actually, I will probably never fly AA again, unless it is nonstop and super affordable.

Thanks for all the feedback. :)

Fares at FLL are typically cheaper. MIA non-stop options are American, Delta or seasonal flights from Sun Country. FLL is Delta and seasonal with Southwest or Spirit.