Taku Lodge - can we book on board?

BigB0882

We will be sailing to Alaska in early June (Celebrity Infinity - June 4th) and one thing we all want to do is go to Taku Lodge. We went on an Alaskan cruise last summer and did not go to Taku because our friends wanted us to wait and go with them this summer. We had heard you need to book early because it fills up but while on our cruise we heard people booking it at the excursion desk during the cruise.

My question is do you think we can book while on the cruise if we go straight to the excursion desk? We would much rather book on board because we all have a good amount of OBC we could use. Otherwise we have to pay completely out of pocket and in advance.

Any experiences trying to book this excursion on board?

This is difficult to predict. I am sure on many sailings it sells out before you board and on other sailings, I am guessing there may be an opening or people who cancel.

This is difficult to predict, except for to say that this is a favorite excursion in Juneau. If you want to do it, I would consider booking it before you board.

Remember, this is capacity controlled by seats on an airplane. It is not a tour where there are 5 companies doing a similar whale watching trip or a tour when people can walk to a lumberjack show where hundreds can attend. It is capacity controlled.

We will be sailing to Alaska in early June (Celebrity Infinity - June 4th) and one thing we all want to do is go to Taku Lodge. We went on an Alaskan cruise last summer and did not go to Taku because our friends wanted us to wait and go with them this summer. We had heard you need to book early because it fills up but while on our cruise we heard people booking it at the excursion desk during the cruise.

My question is do you think we can book while on the cruise if we go straight to the excursion desk? We would much rather book on board because we all have a good amount of OBC we could use. Otherwise we have to pay completely out of pocket and in advance.

We booked our directly with Wings Airways & The Taku Glacier Lodge and save $$ over booking through the ship. Really nice flight and enjoyed our time at the lodge.

Is it possible on Celebrity (maybe ask on their board) to pay now with cash & switch it to OBCs once you board. (AKA go to the shore excursions desk - cancel the cash trip that you booked online prior to the cruise & rebook with OBCs.)

I may try booking and then canceling on board but that seems risky. At this point I would rather not go then spend so much money out of pocket. We have $600 OBC and this is the one big excursion we want to do. We went to Alaska last year so for the most part we are going to take it easy and not spend much money. I know booking through Celebrity is more expensive but when you have the OBC it is definitely far cheaper than booking independently.

I am hoping someone will come along and share whether they, or someone they know, were able to book this on board. I heard someone doing it on my cruise last year but not sure if that is the norm or if that person just got lucky.

I am hoping someone will come along and share whether they, or someone they know, were able to book this on board. I heard someone doing it on my cruise last year but not sure if that is the norm or if that person just got lucky.

Even if someone says they booked it onboard, doesn't mean it will be available on your sailing, on your week.

Some ship tours DO have cancellation penalties with flights, so if you don't, then yes, book ahead. Go to the shore excursion desk, where they will cancel and rebook you. Again, only doable IF no cancellation penalty

It sounds like you are looking for several seats? There is no answer, what is going to be available on board. There usually are some hold back seats. If you wait, then be in first in line when the shore excursion desk opens.

Last fall I booked the Taku Lodge excursion directly with the company for my cruise in May. I understand wanting to use the onboard credit for the excursion, but you risk not being able to do it at all if it's sold out - especially for ~ 4 people. Remember that your ship is unlikely to be the only one in port. Could you use the onboard credit to pay your gratuities and other miscellaneous expenses?

There are only two of us. Our other friends are going to pre-book is my understanding. I think we have decided to wait and see as it is not vital that we go on this excursion. We want to but it will not make or break our trip. Our gratuities are pre-paid. The only thing we will be using OBC for at this point is to upgrade to the Premium drink package. We would gamble but Celebrity makes it difficult if not impossible to use OBC for gambling.