Live from Queen Elizabeth - Sydney to Kobe

minz56

Glad your phone turned up minz. Was it handed in or did you find it yourself?

Your deconstructed pink was a very creative solution to the problem.

It was handed in - I had left it in the library :(

The Purser's Desk had quite a list of lost and found items!

I have done some research and checked with people on board and the consensus is that the ship is not specifically named after the Queen. I suppose you would have to ask her!!

I don't want to belabour the point, but it seems to me that those with whom you have spoken on board were either not present at the naming ceremony or they have not seen the video sold on board. I have found the video: "Your voyage on board Queen Elizabeth" which I purchased on our Norway cruise in 2013. It was mostly rubbish, as most of these are, but I bought it only for the extensive excerpts of the naming ceremony in October 2010.

Peter Shanks turned to The Queen and said: "The essence of this ship belongs to one person - the person for it is named. This, Your Majesty, as we approach your Diamond Jubilee year celebrations, is without doubt your ship."

There had been some speculation that HM would name the ship "Queen Elizabeth the Second" as she did in 1967 with the ship we all know as the QE2.

Thanks for your postings of the voyage. The Queen Elizabeth is my second favourite ship. (She would be tied with the QM2 in my affection if she had real teak decks.):)

Day 12 – At Sea enroute to Okinawa

Last night there was a distinct change in the weather with storms prevailing, resulting in a lot more movement and creaking within the ship. Everyone was rocked gently to sleep, although I have to say that QE remains a very stable ship in bad weather. Today the weather gradually improved with sunny weather this afternoon, though it is getting decidedly cooler as we approach Japan.

Demographics – this is an interesting subject, particularly on a world cruise. 504 people are doing the full world cruise, with a range of nationalities represented. I believe that Brits make up the largest number – clearly new retirees still see a world cruise as the thing to do. There does seem to be fewer Americans from my own experience of world cruises, but I couldn’t be sure on that. There do also seem to be quite a few Europeans –German, French etc.

That leaves about 1500 berths that need to be filled by passengers doing segments – long or short. This segment (Sydney to Kobe) is full of Australians and New Zealanders, making up about 50% of the ship’s capacity. Most will get off in Kobe, to be replaced by more Japanese and other Asians, I would imagine. The ambiance will therefore change. The gossip mill has suggested that the Australians are more casual and laid back (probably true), but everyone has been polite and courteous and have adhered to the dress code (except for a very small number).

So, anyone considering a world cruise segment needs to bear in mind that it won’t be like a standard cruise, whether a TA, Mediterranean or Caribbean cruise, where almost everyone gets on and off at the same time. Average age? I would say about 65-70, but there are quite a lot of younger passengers as well.

Miss Manners regrets: that she has not always been able to get a table in the Queen’s Room for afternoon tea. It gets very busy, so get there early!

Gripe of the day: the quiz in the library today was far too difficult!

Image of the day:the room attendants are very organized these days!

QE11.jpg

Day 12 – At Sea enroute to Okinawa

Miss Manners regrets: that she has not always been able to get a table in the Queen’s Room for afternoon tea. It gets very busy, so get there early!

You mentioned earlier that a man was seen drinking his tea with the tea bag still in the cup. Are the waiters no longer bringing around pots with brewed tea?

Enjoying your reports and the pictures are bringing back some great memories.

You mentioned earlier that a man was seen drinking his tea with the tea bag still in the cup. Are the waiters no longer bringing around pots with brewed tea?

I may have got it wrong but I assumed that the man with the tea bag was in the buffet not at afternoon tea.

Thank you for your reports.

We are on the WC for 2018 and I am thrilled to read about everyone's experiences.

I am amazed that there are over 500 passengers taking the whole world trip.

They will have to turn the Britannia restaurant into the World Cruise Lounge. :D;)

I may have got it wrong but I assumed that the man with the tea bag was in the buffet not at afternoon tea.

Or, maybe he ordered a Herbal Tea. ;) Always available on request in the Queens Room at afternoon tea.

I do hope it is one of these. The white-gloved waiters constantly refilling your tea cup is one of the best things about Cunard's afternoon tea. I have given up going to tea on HAL because they give you a tea bag and then someone comes around with hot water.:(

Enjoying your reports and the pictures are bringing back some great memories.

Yes they do, with white gloves so still as elegant as ever.

The man in question was somewhere else.